Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a GM part number for the flat gasket that goes between the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold for 2.4 NA?

·
Super Moderator
7,351 Posts
anyone have a GM part number for the flat gasket that goes between the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold for 2.4 NA?
Are you sure that it is flat? The parts list I am looking at calls it an o-ring, part number 24505057.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure that it is flat? The parts list I am looking at calls it an o-ring, part number 24505057.
It is a flat gasket with three holes for the studs and the three stud holes are not equidistant around the circumference (for some strange reason) so that the gasket will only fit one way. I found a part no. GM15105884 that I think is the one I need but can't find a picture or drawing to verify it.

·
Super Moderator
7,351 Posts
It is a flat gasket with three holes for the studs and the three stud holes are not equidistant around the circumference (for some strange reason) so that the gasket will only fit one way. I found a part no. GM15105884 that I think is the one I need but can't find a picture or drawing to verify it.
These are the parts diagrams that I have. There is a first design and a second design, but they are fundamentally the same.

Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG

Also, the illustrations in all three of my service manuals show the gasket as an o-ring. They are usually pretty accurate, but I haven't had an exhaust apart to confirm or deny, so if you say it is different I don't quite know what to think.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the parts diagrams that I have. There is a first design and a second design, but they are fundamentally the same.

View attachment 108640 View attachment 108641

Also, the illustrations in all three of my service manuals show the gasket as an o-ring. They are usually pretty accurate, but I haven't had an exhaust apart to confirm or deny, so if you say it is different I don't quite know what to think.
It is strange. looking at both the bottom of the manifold and the mating top of the converter, both surfaces are flat with no recess for an O ring. guess I'll just make a gasket. Thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
7,351 Posts
It is strange. looking at both the bottom of the manifold and the mating top of the converter, both surfaces are flat with no recess for an O ring. guess I'll just make a gasket. Thanks for looking.
Is it possible that what is being called an o-ring is actually a crush washer? I think that I would get the listed part to try first, but I am not the one doing the work.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible that what is being called an o-ring is actually a crush washer? I think that I would get the listed part to try first, but I am not the one doing the work.
That makes sense. I'll give it a try

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called my GM dealer. It is a metal crush washer.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
My 2 scents (mispelling intentional). Yes, it is a crush washer. Used a couple of them a few years back when my factory cat was plugged and no replacement available. I installed a high-flow cat until the factory replacement was available, had GM replace it, then went back to the high-flow afterward because it added a little bit of "snarl" to the exhaust note.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts