Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what grade of gas do you use? I've been using premium but i i think i'm going to downgrade to mid-level with all the driving i've been doing. has anyone noticed negative consequences from a lower grade?

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Common question... Depends if you have a turbo or not, with a tune. If so, DONT downgrade.

If not, you can do so without damaging your car (in theory) but you may well see losses in mileage (mpg) that offset the cost of the higher grade gas.

If you add up your savings over the year, may be not worth the added risk/return.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Depends if you have a tune and what your car is tuned to. A lot of cars are tuned to use premium, but my car isn't tuned and is 2.4 N/A so I just use unleaded gas, which is 87 gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2.4 n/a with no tune as far as i know. I'll switch to 89 and see if i see a difference in mileage at all

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have a 2.4 n/a with no tune as far as i know. I'll switch to 89 and see if i see a difference in mileage at all

This will be interesting. Please report back with your findings. I suspect that on the 2.4 N/A you will not see much loss in mileage-if any, maybe just a little bit of loss in performance.

On my 2.0 turbo, before I got the GMPP tune and therefore could still run lower grade fuel: I ran several tests. And the results were basically about a wash. My mpg would go down enough to almost offset the savings in cost at the pump. It was still a net gain financially by going lower grade, but not enough to justify the loss in performance, which was definitely noticeable at my altitude (5000 ft above sea level).

With the GMPP tune I have to run premium. But I also did notice a net gain in average mpg of about 1 additional on average. So at that point, I was actually slightly better financially with premium anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
16 - wow...

I run 'regular' with my gxp. I get 26-28 around town and 30 in highway driving. I do not have a tune ( yet :devil: )

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yeah, and his V8 isn't exactly the econo model either. :lol::lol::lol:

But that is ok, because it is worth it just to see the shear terror on the faces of the little ricer punks. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Yeah, and his V8 isn't exactly the econo model either. :lol::lol::lol:

But that is ok, because it is worth it just to see the shear terror on the faces of the little ricer punks. :rofl:
And on my face as well . . . .:willy:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
And on my face as well . . . .:willy:
You haven't lived until the drive-shaft arrives at the next intersection before you do. :lol:
When that happens, call me; I know a really good drive-shaft maker that is familiar with that particular problem. :leaving:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a stone stock 07 GXP. Commuting 80 miles round trip I get around 30-31 MPG. I've noticed a 1-3 MPG difference between winter and summer fuel formulation, but no difference between 89 and 93 Octane gas. To save a few pennies, I run 89 just fine. I suppose if my foot were heavier and under boost frequently, then higher octane may be more important.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have a stock 2.4 (2009). It may sound funny but my Dodge Magnum with a 3.5 6 seems to like mid. OK, that's not the funny part, the funny part is that the place I get my gas, COSTCO, only sells hi and low grade. So after filling the tank with one, I then only let the tank get half empty before filling again with the other grade, alternating at each fillup.

Now, I am trying the same thing with My Sol... as an experiment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
89 is a slow seller at most stations,and sits longer in the tanks.Ask your station how much 89 they sale on a monthly basis.You may be getting older gas with 89.
Im just passing along info my old boss told me.I rarely delivered it at QT.Always
lots of 87,and roughly 1500 gallons of 93 daily in metro Atlanta stores.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Don't forget, stock, without a tune, you have a ping detector, and the computer pulls the timing back to stop it (the timing isn't that advanced, to begin with). In the 2.4, you should only get pings when near WOT on a very hot day, when using 87.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys. Interesting information about the 89 sitting too long at the station. I have been averaging 21 mpg and drive about 50-60 miles per day for work. In the morning it is mostly highway miles and after work i take side streets (stop and go) to avoid traffic on my way back to Chicago.

·
Registered
199 Posts
GXP with Trifecta budget tune. I get almost 20 mpg city with 93.

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
89 is a slow seller at most stations,and sits longer in the tanks.Ask your station how much 89 they sale on a monthly basis.You may be getting older gas with 89.
I thought that there is really no such thing as 89. The storage tanks contain 87 and 93 and the pump mixes them to create 89. Or is it done at the delivery truck level, it mixes the two as it fills the 89 storage tank....

Bob

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have an '07 gxp and (as recommended) have almost always put in premium, however with the large price spread between midgrade and premium of late (30-cents) it is very tempting to bump down a grade. PAid 3.859/gallon the other day; regular was 3.359 (not sure what midgrade was that day).
I've used midgrade a handful of times when I was really short on cash or the station was out of premium, but for the most part I put the good stuff in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts