Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it interesting how gasoline prices had been slowly falling, or holding stable until one day before what is traditionally the biggest family travel day of the year they suddenly shoot up (17 cents a gallon where I live). I wonder where all our "family values" politicians are now while the oil companies screw it to families? They are probably setting an extra place at their tables for their favorite oil lobbyist.

Sorry for the rant, but there is no sense in this. I don't care what oil futures did on Wall Street the day before, the damn gasoline in the storage tank was refined, shipped and delivered weeks ago. This is organized, legalized price fixing.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thats a very odd rise! Around here, gasoline prices are the same today as they have been the last couple days, and they have been declining slowly for a couple weeks. Not a lot, but maybe 8-10 cents overall.

However, costs for crude oil have been going up again the past week or so, and that will filter into the pumps sooner or later. Maybe the station you saw was just gouging on its own.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand there are fluctuations in the price of crude, but the fuel that is in those storage tanks was refined, shipped and delivered long before those fluctuations. If crude goes up three dollars today, the price at the pump will go up within a day or two of the crude increase, but that crude won't be gasoline for weeks. When the hurricanes damaged some of Florida's citrus groves, the price of orange juice didn't skyrocket within days. Instead, we were forewarned that the price of fruit could be going up over the winter. If the price of unrefined sugar goes up tomorrow, will the price of a Hershey bar increase before the end of next week? If you look around, gasoline is the only consumable product whose consumer market prices change based on price changes in the raw product.

As far as the 17 cent a gallon price jump here on Tuesday, it was a uniform increase at every station in town. And still, no one is complaining about price-fixing?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If crude goes up three dollars today, the price at the pump will go up within a day or two of the crude increase, but that crude won't be gasoline for weeks
Doesn't quite work that way. The price of the crude that the oil refinery pays is fixed on an Hourly basis (if it's from a pipeline). If it's from a ship, the price is free to fluctuate while at sea but the price is fixed when unloading starts and a couple million gallon tanker can be unloaded in a day. Most oil refineries do not have the capacity to hold more than a day or twos raw crude. So their cost varies on a very short cycle. And the refined product's price is still free to fluctates until it's in a tank truck headed to the gas station. That's why gasoline futures are traded on the commodities exchange just as crude oil is.

It's all a very fluid (as in free to move) price structure. With frozen concentrated orange juice, your stuck with prices that are fixed at harvest and will remain fixed until you buy it. That would be like fixing the price of gasoline at the well head. The gas in your tank was probably still crude oil less than a week ago and down here just a couple of days. And its price was still floating untill it was headed to the gas station. But that orange juice in your glass hasn't seen an orange tree for at best a month and perhaps several and its price was fixed when it was still ripening.

I don't know why the prices jumped in your area. Did a refinery near you have to shut down? Or a pipeline? Is the St Larence Seaway still open? But every year, around this time, gas prices across the nation climb some as they start making less crude into gas and more into heating oil. And, for the same reason, diesel prices climb even more. That has to do with how crude is refined but I've rambled on enough and there's turkey to be eaten!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts