Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was viewing the pictures and noticed there are no OIL/WATER TEMP/VOLTS
gauges? Am I missing something?
:confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
No, I wish you were. Looks like GM may have decided, in their infinite wisdom, we don't need to know that stuff till the idot light comes on. Still hoping the offer an optional guage package at introduction. Maybe when they come out with the FI version. It'd be cool with a line of guages on the windshield post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's WEAK! This is a sports car? Not good! :mad

Come GM - let's not get CHEAP!

:grouphug Put your heads together and re-think this one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
We can always hope for a guage upgrade package. I'm not expecting it though. All we get is dummy lights for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,887 Posts
AJC said:
I was viewing the pictures and noticed there are no OIL/WATER TEMP/VOLTS
gauges? Am I missing something?
:confused
Nope... the Drivers Information Center (DIC) does carry with it oil life (in percentage), as well as coolant temp... but not oil/water temp or battery volts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
That's been one of my gripes from the beginning. I'll be adding gauges before I do any serious modding. I usually do that anyway, since factory gauges can sometimes be a bit inaccurate... but this time I'll have no choice!
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
DIC is a nice feature to have since full guages won't be offered, but its still not the same as having the actual guages available. I am hoping to see an aftermarket (or GM accessory) guage pod for the A-pilar so I can add some guages to the car.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Looks like GM may have decided, in their infinite wisdom, we don't need to know that stuff till the idot light comes on.

:cryin Guages good. Jimbo like guages. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Remeber GM's tach gauge packages on Firebirds and GTO's i the sixties? Talk about heads up display, they were outside mounted on the hood in front of the driver. In pro-rally cars of the fifties and sixties with co-pilots ALL gauges except maybe tach were in front of co-pilot seat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
flourescent gauges

AJC said:
I was viewing the pictures and noticed there are no OIL/WATER TEMP/VOLTS
gauges? Am I missing something?
:confused
I just got back from the StL Auto Show and was told there would be what the pokesman said was "fluorescent vf gauges" that would be in the top center of the dash as an option. I have posted other info under "New info from the StL Auto Show" in the general discussion heading you can check out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
summersolstice said:
I just got back from the StL Auto Show and was told there would be what the pokesman said was "fluorescent vf gauges" that would be in the top center of the dash as an option. I have posted other info under "New info from the StL Auto Show" in the general discussion heading you can check out.
GM is going to put some kind of gauge - it's a start. :cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,365 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
LatinVenom said:
This is the answer from another thread, posted by rlhammon:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16575&postcount=3
That sounds like the DIC I mentioned earlier. It is a nice bit of technology, but its still not the same as having all the guages staring back at you.

Having DIC is like going back to the 1980's when everyone started using digital dashboards. Nice and flashy, but they are still no replacement for round dial guages IMO. :thumbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,887 Posts
Fformula88 said:
That sounds like the DIC I mentioned earlier. It is a nice bit of technology, but its still not the same as having all the guages staring back at you.

Having DIC is like going back to the 1980's when everyone started using digital dashboards. Nice and flashy, but they are still no replacement for round dial guages IMO. :thumbs
I agree with ya Ff, but it comes down to real estate on the dash to put everything on. When you have sensors on the car collecting the information, it's easier (and cheaper) to toss in one display and have the driver cycle through what they want. Even with the DIC on the Cobalt there isn't anything really useful. The gas mileage left (letting you know how many miles until you are out of gas) is handy if you are trying to figure out when to stop, the oil life monitor is a waste... just set a light if you want instead in my opinion, and the average speed seems like a waste to me as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Yeah, the miles left to empty has always seemed to be one of those features to me like digital watches. A shortcut for people who don't want to do the math. Anyone who's owned taken the time to figure it out should pretty much know how many miles they can go under most driving conditions, and can do the simple math to figure out how many are left of the average you usually go.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
rlhammon said:
I agree with ya Ff, but it comes down to real estate on the dash to put everything on. When you have sensors on the car collecting the information, it's easier (and cheaper) to toss in one display and have the driver cycle through what they want. Even with the DIC on the Cobalt there isn't anything really useful. The gas mileage left (letting you know how many miles until you are out of gas) is handy if you are trying to figure out when to stop, the oil life monitor is a waste... just set a light if you want instead in my opinion, and the average speed seems like a waste to me as well.
I understand the real estate issue, and even the cost issue. They don't need a bunch of seperate guages, more complicated wiring to wire them in seperately at the factory, etc. I can see skimping out on Cobalts, since most are essentially economy cars. However, a dedicated performance car should have full guages.

A lot of that DIC info is a waste? Miles to empty? After 2 or 3 fill-ups, your going to know how many miles are left based on the gas guage position. The oil life monitor is good only if you want to really risk going a long time between oil changes.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top