Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find the thread, but a while back I remember seeing discussion of the dash gauges and their color.

I received my poster and cap offer today and looking at the back of the poster, there is a real good shot of the dash and the gauges are VERY DEFINATELY RED!

Looks good to me!
:yesnod:

·
Banned
63 Posts
wow, i thought we knew that already, but thanks for the info.

·
Banned
63 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, if you look closer you will notice that the enviromental controls in that picture are silver centered, so therefore, that is a picture of a pre-production car. The poster on the other hand has photos of a production car!

So, this is confirmation that the gauges remained red in production, and as far as I have read, no thread has posted that so far.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
Well, if you look closer you will notice that the enviromental controls in that picture are silver centered, so therefore, that is a picture of a pre-production car. The poster on the other hand has photos of a production car!

So, this is confirmation that the gauges remained red in production, and as far as I have read, no thread has posted that so far.
oh i gotcha, that silver center climate control looked better imo, but its a minor issue, i like the red gauges opposed to the ones in the sky alot better. i think thier probably gonna be yellow. i just hope the radio and climate colors match and are red as well

And can you tell if they are white face are silver face :confused:

And on a side note between you and me, the whole thing with the BMW discussion, lets just put that behind us, i love Bimmers and you dont, but im not going to argue with you, we both seem like pretty stong minded, and opinionated people...i know i am, and i would like to just drop it when that topic opens back up...cool?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm sure the production car will be red, with the controlls backlit in red. Typical Pontiac, and cool.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
007 DC5 said:
oh i gotcha, that silver center climate control looked better imo, but its a minor issue, i like the red gauges opposed to the ones in the sky alot better. i think thier probably gonna be yellow. i just hope the radio and climate colors match and are red as well

And can you tell if they are white face are silver face :confused:

And on a side note between you and me, the whole thing with the BMW discussion, lets just put that behind us, i love Bimmers and you dont, but im not going to argue with you, we both seem like pretty stong minded, and opinionated people...i know i am, and i would like to just drop it when that topic opens back up...cool?
In reverse order;
I'm fine with dropping it.

In the picture you posted they are silver I believe from the prototype. Unfortunatly, it seems the production is going to be just plain plastic black from discussion I have read here. IMHO, this is a poor place to save a couple of cents. I hope someone comes out with after-market replacements. Aluminum or stainless would be so much better! (Hey Pontiac, you know where they are! Let me just say SOLSTICESTUFF.COM)

I agree, that the red is far superior to yellow, night vision and all that is just a bonus. It would be nice if the controls had fiber-optic, or similar highlights, but at the price point I don't expect it. Those are the types of things I expect on the expensive cars like your Beemers, etc. NOT to start another go around, I expect this on ALL $30k + cars!

I wish there had been a Nav system option on the Sol!! :(

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:

As far as I know, they are only red when lit. White-faced gauges on my GTP are black on white until the lights come on. It is a cool look, but I still could use HUD. It would be most appropriate for a car like this, but isn't cheap between the different windshield and the projector.

·
Registered
316 Posts
achieftain said:
As far as I know, they are only red when lit. White-faced gauges on my GTP are black on white until the lights come on. It is a cool look, but I still could use HUD. It would be most appropriate for a car like this, but isn't cheap between the different windshield and the projector.

My Bonneville has the same gauges-black characters on white background. The black acts as the openings for the red light at night. I too like the look alot. I must say the HUD has really spoiled me. But, I doubt the expense for the Solstice is justified when GM is trying to keep the price down. I hope there are aftermarket gauge upgrades. It would be reasonable to provide upgrades to those people who can afford to customize while keeping the acquistion price low to promote sales in general.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Anybody know if the buttons in the steering wheel are illuminated and if so, are they red as well? Same question for the buttons in the doors. Also, are these red bulbs that will be difficult to find for replacement or are they just red (instead of clear) plastic?

·
497 Posts
achieftain said:
As far as I know, they are only red when lit. White-faced gauges on my GTP are black on white until the lights come on.
I hope it is the same on the Solstice, it sounds cool. I was thinking the characters were always red.

Solstick said:
I hope there are aftermarket gauge upgrades.
I would have liked a complete compliment but I suspect there will be aftermarket A-Pillar mounting pods before long.

·
Banned
69 Posts
I think that they will be black when not lit, and red when lit as well, i mean, most cars that have white face gauges(dodge's viper, and new ram for ex.) all have black letters that light up another color when turned on. RED IS COOL though.

·
497 Posts
Always red...

As I pour over the pictures (a nightly ritual these days), I think the gauges are painted red that really glows red at night when lit. At least that is how it looks in the gallery pictures. Perhaps this was a cost saving move.

Gallery Picture 1
Gallery Picture 2
Gallery Picture 3

·
Banned
69 Posts
DCLocal said:
As I pour over the pictures (a nightly ritual these days), I think the gauges are painted red that really glows red at night when lit. At least that is how it looks in the gallery pictures. Perhaps this was a cost saving move.

Gallery Picture 1
Gallery Picture 2
Gallery Picture 3
I think your right, but man, i think it looks hot red, what im worried about is are we going to have these pretty red gauges, and the UGLY GREEN information center display that is in every car GM makes with those. i mean, all they would have to do is change the LED's inside to red, but will they do it??? i also speculate over what the radio and window, as well as steering wheel controls will be.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
What's interesting to me is that between pictures 1 and 3, the steering wheel controls have changed. Which ones are we getting? 3 I would assume. But it's just neat to notice such a subtle change that has been made. Also, from the looks of it... the steering wheel controls will not illuminate at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I checked the owners manual and you are correct dori-san, it is the steering wheel controls in picture #3 that we are getting. Also looks like a bit of a fit problem with the controls in that pic.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, then lets rehash this,...

Things in picture #3:
Baby arms
Light faced (Silver) enviromental knobs

I thought we had eliminated these items based on other more recent photos?
But, I do agree this looks like a production version. Note the word "Airbag" embossed into bottom of steering wheel that is not in picture #1. This leads me to believe this is closer to production than #1 is. (Also the lettering on the Passenger airbag display) Is it just me, or are there no pedals in picture #1??

:agree: there does seem to be a poor fit on the arms.
6800 redline looks good.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
OK, then lets rehash this,...

Things in picture #3:
Baby arms
Light faced (Silver) enviromental knobs

I thought we had eliminated these items based on other more recent photos?
But, I do agree this looks like a production version. Note the word "Airbag" embossed into bottom of steering wheel that is not in picture #1. This leads me to believe this is closer to production than #1 is. (Also the lettering on the Passenger airbag display) Is it just me, or are there no pedals in picture #1??

:agree: there does seem to be a poor fit on the arms.
6800 redline looks good.
Whats a baby arm??? ive never heard this term used before on a car.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Skyolstice said:
Whats a baby arm??? ive never heard this term used before on a car.
If you search the threads here you will find a lot of mention an discussion of the baby arms. It is a term coined by someone on here (I forget who) for the small rubber parts that stick out of the door frame to mate with the top.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts