Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some here who have seen the show car in person. I can't find any pictures of the gauge cluster good enough to tell what the third gauge is. Unless it's a multi-function gauge with two or three needles, I'm worried. All I see is speedometer, tachometer, and the small gauge, which I'm assuming is probably fuel level. Does that mean we don't even get a temperature gauge?!

Sure, it will have dummy lights, that's a given. But dummy lights aren't enough for me. I know for a fact that the dummy light for oil pressure in my GTP wouldn't come on until it dropped below 5 PSI. Furthermore, the sending unit was a normally-open switch in its circuit. That means if the sensor failed or if the wires became disconnected, there was no way for the PCM to know.

Personally, I'll be adding some gauges before I really mod the engine, because I like to monitor what I can once I start getting into serious mods. It looks like that's going to be a challenge even, to find places for gauges that will look good once I've used up the a-pillar. I don't want to have to add gauges that should be there from the factory.

Also, there's appears to be a small rectangular plate above the hazard lights button. I'll assume that's just going to be where they put the word "Solstice" so we don't all forget what we're driving while we're inside the vehicle. Does anybody here who has seen it know if that might be for something different? Looks to me like a handy place for a Valentine 1 remote display.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My old vette had the gauges clustered in the center console. It was great. I don't see myself doing much to my Solstice (if past history is any indication!). But a few gauges in the 'A' pillar strip would be nice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I know there are some here who have seen the show car in person. I can't find any pictures of the gauge cluster good enough to tell what the third gauge is. Unless it's a multi-function gauge with two or three needles, I'm worried. All I see is speedometer, tachometer, and the small gauge, which I'm assuming is probably fuel level. Does that mean we don't even get a temperature gauge?!

Sure, it will have dummy lights, that's a given. But dummy lights aren't enough for me. I know for a fact that the dummy light for oil pressure in my GTP wouldn't come on until it dropped below 5 PSI. Furthermore, the sending unit was a normally-open switch in its circuit. That means if the sensor failed or if the wires became disconnected, there was no way for the PCM to know.

Personally, I'll be adding some gauges before I really mod the engine, because I like to monitor what I can once I start getting into serious mods. It looks like that's going to be a challenge even, to find places for gauges that will look good once I've used up the a-pillar. I don't want to have to add gauges that should be there from the factory.

Also, there's appears to be a small rectangular plate above the hazard lights button. I'll assume that's just going to be where they put the word "Solstice" so we don't all forget what we're driving while we're inside the vehicle. Does anybody here who has seen it know if that might be for something different? Looks to me like a handy place for a Valentine 1 remote display.

iirc, the instrument cluster is sourced from the vibe. stop by a pontiac dealer and see if its the same.

you could always make a column mount for a couple of gauges. autometer makes them for several vehicles. perhaps you could hassle them into making one for the solstice. im sure most of us would chime in with our support. i have a couple other ideas that i wont share. :)

the panel above the hazard switch looks like a light panel to me. (shift light, idiot lights, etc maybe)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2Q',

The rectangular thing above the hazard button looks like the light known as an "AOS" light.

AOS stands for "Airbag Occupant Supression" or "Airbag Occupant Sensor" or something like that in "GM Speak" (according to a friend of mine in the interiors business) and has something to do with supressing the airbag for low weight occupants or no occupant - also an indicator that you have turned off your airbag (like if you install a child seat and turn your passenger airbag off).

Apparently the Saturn ION has a similar rectangle that was a space holder for the AOS light a model year early - it actually said "ION" on it and is there supposedly is a place holder for forthcoming occupant sensor airbag technology which includes this light.

I've also been told it stands for "Ass On Seat" :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Based on the showcar, there won't be too many extra guages. Of course, that could change by the time they reach production if they chose to use a different instrument cluster. Maybe they will offer a secondary guage package as an extra cost item such as Subaru does for the WRX (they offer a boost guage, and a seperate 3 guage package for the middle of the dash).

I hate this trend of shipping sports cars with a host of idiot lights and no guages, but it is becoming more prevalent. The '05 Mustang is gaining a nifty multi-color guage cluster, but is losing some of its guages too.

However, if I were doing mods, I would want some good aftermarket guages anyway. Factory guages are a good approximation to let the driver know if a given system is working normally or not, but they are generally not real accurate. For a modified engine, I would want better accuracy to some of those guages.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The base car will probably have minimal gauges like the Vibe. However there has been an upgrade option on many GM cars for years. I can remember that being part of the "GT" package on the Vega.

If they do go to a S/C engine, then I think a better gauge package is a given considering the desire for the marketing department to put a boost gauge in. After all, if you pay for supercharging, you want to feel it and see it in action.

To hit that 20k price point they have to give up stuff and for the vast majority of Solstice buyers the Vibe gauges will suffice. Like others have pointed out, if your serious about performance mods, then factory gauges won't do. There will be after market options I'm sure, and that's the fun of customizing your car, to be creative.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Remember riding a car (may have been a Rambler) that had what was called a factory "Power Guage". Really just a vacuum guage. You needed it 'cuz not much happened when you tromped down on the gas other than the needle on the guage moved! But it made you feel like you were accelerating:lol

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bizz said:
iirc, the instrument cluster is sourced from the vibe. stop by a pontiac dealer and see if its the same.
Nope, not from the Vibe. I stopped by pontiac.com. The '04 Vibe cluster, at least, has 4 gauges.

Bizz said:
i have a couple other ideas that i wont share. :)
Isn't this forum supposed to be ABOUT sharing? Do I smell an entrepreneur?

solsticeman said:
AOS stands for "Airbag Occupant Supression" or "Airbag Occupant Sensor" or something like that in "GM Speak" (according to a friend of mine in the interiors business) and has something to do with supressing the airbag for low weight occupants or no occupant - also an indicator that you have turned off your airbag (like if you install a child seat and turn your passenger airbag off).
That sounds about right. Of course it seems like it would be easier to determine the weight of the occupant by putting the sensor IN THE SEAT.

As for factory gauges being inaccurate, I know that historically speaking this is true. Personally, I'll take a less than accurate factory gauge as opposed having just a dummy light. If my car is running so hot that I have to monitor the temps closely with a highly accurate gauge, then I'm looking for a better radiator and water pump anyway. I wouldn't rely on a factory gauge for oil pressure or boost, but for water temp and voltage I'm perfectly happy with factory gauges so long as they're GAUGES.

With the mods I'm considering I'll want to install aftermarket gauges for boost/vacuum, oil pressure, fuel pressure, air:fuel ratio, and exhaust gas temperature. Sure would be nice if that center gauge was fuel level AND water temp (maybe voltage, too) so I don't have to make my interior look like the cockpit of a 747! I think 5 aftermarket gauges is going to be pusing it as it is.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
2KWK4U said:
With the mods I'm considering I'll want to install aftermarket gauges for boost/vacuum, oil pressure, fuel pressure, air:fuel ratio, and exhaust gas temperature. Sure would be nice if that center gauge was fuel level AND water temp (maybe voltage, too) so I don't have to make my interior look like the cockpit of a 747! I think 5 aftermarket gauges is going to be pusing it as it is.
I don't know the mods you're making, but just a couple thoughts on how to cu t down. Seems like fuel pressure is kind of like water temp, if you have to be monitoring it, you need a better fuel pump.

Are you planning to be able to adjust the mixture as you drive? If not then it would seem that you could just use temporary gauges to tweek and dail in your motor and then take them out. It also seems that a mixture ratio and EGT are a little redundent. I might also include an oil temp gauge for a boosted engine.

I don't know, there are so many gauges available to monitor everything, at some point you can't scan all those instraments and still steer down the road! I don't know if they have them for cars or not, but for aircraft they have digital gauges that are very accurate and don't take up much space and some that are multi-function so you can get the info from four or five gauges in the space for one. I'm sure you'll work it out, just some thoughts. :cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AeroDave said:
I don't know the mods you're making, but just a couple thoughts on how to cu t down. Seems like fuel pressure is kind of like water temp, if you have to be monitoring it, you need a better fuel pump.

Are you planning to be able to adjust the mixture as you drive? If not then it would seem that you could just use temporary gauges to tweek and dail in your motor and then take them out. It also seems that a mixture ratio and EGT are a little redundent. I might also include an oil temp gauge for a boosted engine.

I don't know, there are so many gauges available to monitor everything, at some point you can't scan all those instraments and still steer down the road! I don't know if they have them for cars or not, but for aircraft they have digital gauges that are very accurate and don't take up much space and some that are multi-function so you can get the info from four or five gauges in the space for one. I'm sure you'll work it out, just some thoughts. :cheers
Thanks for the input. Hey, two minds are better than one. How many members we got now?

The reason I want fuel pressure, AFR, and EGT is that I'm paranoid about running lean, especially on a s/c'd engine. Sure, it's overkill to run all 3, but as far as I know, leaning out and pre-detonating is the leading cause of death in supercharged engines, so long as you have the bottom end sufficiently beefed up. I would definitely want an oil temp gauge if I were going turbo, but not so much with a roots-type s/c, since the lubrication system there is self-contained. I will likely install an oil cooler anyway. Since there are piston cooling oil jets in ecotec engines, it makes perfect sense to keep your oil as cool as you can.

I prefer to stick to analog gauges because there's actually less thought involved. With a digital display, I have to look at the number, and think about what that means for a split second. If I see a needle that's way over to the right, I know immediately that there's a problem. If you orient each analog gauge in such a manner that its normal reading at full-throttle will put the needle in the 12 o'clock position, then a quick glance will tell you if anything is afoul. Sure, it looks kind of silly to have the words going every which way with some level, some uphill, and others downhill.

·
Registered
281 Posts
oil psi is a must on any car that will be modified and/or raced in any manner.
fuel psi is nice to have as it indicates when the fuel delivery system begins tostruggle to meet demand
boost is nice to have since it helps display the stress placed on the engines hard parts. its also, well lets just admit it, damned cool
AF ratio (digital) is an aid only if you correlate its reading at WOT with known O2mV values. it can indicate a change in fuel delivery from the pcm.
water/oil/trans temps are just good to know.

by mid summer, i hope, i will have one of each in my car. i will post pics of the install if anyone would like.

i also like white-faced gauges with black numerals. IMO, for me, they are the easiest to read in any kind of light.

as far as the entrepeneur comment, hell i dunno, maybe. im just tired of others running with my ideas and making money from it. :D so, im keeping my mouth shut from now on until i know wether or not i can do the project(s) myself.

OT: which reminds me...anyone with a CTS-V on this forum? send me a PM if you please! :jester

1 - 12 of 12 Posts