Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Any idea what the gear ratios will be for the 5 speed? Nothing worse than a wide ratio tall gear, good for economy but dampens spirit. How about differential gears? What is shiftpoint/redline for little 2.4 liter engine?

I would love a 7000 rpm shift point going through a close ratio transmission and low/numerically high differential gear. Yippee!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I haven't seen any of these types of details out yet - it might be too far out to even have them finalized. I would doubt a 7k rpm red line though - I would be 6-6.5k as most engines are today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
jamiehjr said:
Hey!

Any idea what the gear ratios will be for the 5 speed? Nothing worse than a wide ratio tall gear, good for economy but dampens spirit. How about differential gears? What is shiftpoint/redline for little 2.4 liter engine?

I would love a 7000 rpm shift point going through a close ratio transmission and low/numerically high differential gear. Yippee!!
I can't remeber the ratios off the top of my head, but I can look on Monday. And as someone already stated, the engine speed is limited to I believe 6200 -6500 rpm. The reason is the engine have balance-shafts that spin at twice crankshaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
I think the redline is 7000 on the pre production car.There is a pic of the guages.It could be changed before production starts though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
aawil said:
I think the redline is 7000 on the pre production car.There is a pic of the guages.It could be changed before production starts though.
I guess I can safely say that the gauge does not really matter. I know the engine, and the balance shafts don't want to spin that fast (14K rpm)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I could be wrong, but the new Chevy Colorado and GMC clone use a 5 speed Aisin, which is the only such Gm application that I am aware of. Considering the parts sharing concept used in bringing Solstice together, I wouldn't be suprised if they nabbed the aisin from the Colorado project. More info about that tranny can surely be found at Chevy's website, as the Colorado is on sale now. Of course, this doesn't speak to the other half of the equation, the rear end gearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
jckjds said:
I could be wrong, but the new Chevy Colorado and GMC clone use a 5 speed Aisin, which is the only such Gm application that I am aware of. Considering the parts sharing concept used in bringing Solstice together, I wouldn't be suprised if they nabbed the aisin from the Colorado project. More info about that tranny can surely be found at Chevy's website, as the Colorado is on sale now. Of course, this doesn't speak to the other half of the equation, the rear end gearing.
You are doing pretty well on the transmission, but there are other options than just the axle ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
jckjds said:
I could be wrong, but the new Chevy Colorado and GMC clone use a 5 speed Aisin, which is the only such Gm application that I am aware of. Considering the parts sharing concept used in bringing Solstice together, I wouldn't be suprised if they nabbed the aisin from the Colorado project. More info about that tranny can surely be found at Chevy's website, as the Colorado is on sale now. Of course, this doesn't speak to the other half of the equation, the rear end gearing.
ive read that the prototype uses the rear diff from the CTS.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top