Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the reviews seem to be complaining about the tall gearing of the Solstice, can't you get it re-geared at the dealer (for a price of course)?

·
Registered
417 Posts
well my take is 1) this tranny is taken directly from a pickup truck ( i forget whcih one) 2) the secret has always been with relatively small engines is to bring them rpms way up. get it to dance and your perfromance will be ok. just judging from years of driving small engined sportscars. anyway its a hellof a lot more fun . after all this is not a nash rambler its a sports car and should be driven ummmmm... sportingly. :cool:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it feels like compared to my Sunfire which is a ~100lbs lighter, but has 57HP and 26 lbs/ft torque less then the Solstice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually, I posted this once already, but, if you're willing to do some work, you can swap in a 88-92 Supra Turbo R154 5-speed. Or... just the gears.

Ratio's

AR5(MA5) - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729
R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

There is also a set of aftermarket gears for the R154 that will fit the AR5:

Toyota Supra R154 Gearset 2.80 / 1.84 / 1.33 / 1.00 / 0.86

http://www.bpmsports.com/products/gear.htm

Greg

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
After having driven mine for about a week now, I tend to agree with the reviews. It's geared a little too tall IMO. I think somewhere closer to 4:1 would be better. A 6 speed might have been nice as well.

However, It's not a big beef with me. Don't stress about it. You'll like the car as it is. There is plenty of spunk if you wind it up just a little. I wouldn't go swaping trannies or gear sets. If anything I would look into getting the rear end ratio changed, but again I'm fine with it as is. It may be a different story for you if you intend to race it, but as a street car it's fine. The reason GM no doubt chose the tall gears was to get highway mileage up. So in these days of ever climbing gas prices, it may have been a wise choice after all. Just my take on it. :cheers:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any guess on how much swapping the gears would cost?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Any guess on how much swapping the gears would cost?
For my Crown Victoria, it was $1200 for parts and labor, then $300 for the chip to correct for the new gears.

$1500 total, but so worth it. 0-60 went from 9.5 to 6.5 seconds. And that's without changing anything on the engine. I changed the rear gears from 2.73 to 3.73 and added a locking differential.

·
2,574 Posts
AeroDave said:
After having driven mine for about a week now, I tend to agree with the reviews. It's geared a little too tall IMO. I think somewhere closer to 4:1 would be better. A 6 speed might have been nice as well.

However, It's not a big beef with me. Don't stress about it. You'll like the car as it is. There is plenty of spunk if you wind it up just a little. I wouldn't go swaping trannies or gear sets. If anything I would look into getting the rear end ratio changed, but again I'm fine with it as is. It may be a different story for you if you intend to race it, but as a street car it's fine. The reason GM no doubt chose the tall gears was to get highway mileage up. So in these days of ever climbing gas prices, it may have been a wise choice after all. Just my take on it. :cheers:
Good info thanks, I'll relax a little! :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
AeroDave said:
After having driven mine for about a week now, I tend to agree with the reviews. It's geared a little too tall IMO.
Could you expand on that a bit? I'd like to hear a detailed description from somebody who I know isn't going to be ragging on the car. My take is that I absolutely love the fact that you can do 80 in 5th gear @ 3000 RPMs. I realize that may cause some complications in the lower gears, but I hate driving cars at really high revs for a long time because the gearing wasn't made for driving fast. Obviously, 5th gear should only be considered an overdrive, which means that I would think most people would max out at 4th in routine city driving. Is that where the issue is? Is it because of a lack of power between certain gears? Anyway, I'd like to understand your thinking about the gears better. Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blue_q said:
For my Crown Victoria, it was $1200 for parts and labor, then $300 for the chip to correct for the new gears.

$1500 total, but so worth it. 0-60 went from 9.5 to 6.5 seconds. And that's without changing anything on the engine. I changed the rear gears from 2.73 to 3.73 and added a locking differential.
That's not too bad, I'll add it to my todo list. Sounds like it might be more cost effective to get the gears replaced then get a turbo. I can see my Solstice is going to be a money pit for mods :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
It came out of a Chevy Colorado... :willy:

The complaints usually regard 3rd, in particular, as too tall ~ hence, passing (downshifting from fourth) is a chore.

I have found that typing while drunk/very buzzed is a challenge ~ to say the least... :willy:

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
SlySol is right.....I pretty much keep it in 4th gear for city driving...much more responsive and rpms are still low. You have to shift into 2nd quickly from 1st when starting and it doesn't like to start off in 2nd.

If you put higher (lower?) gearing in rear end, you could start off in 2nd and do 5th in the city, but mileage would suffer and cruising the x-ways will take higher rpms.....it cruises great the way it is.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Greg55_99 said:
Actually, I posted this once already, but, if you're willing to do some work, you can swap in a 88-92 Supra Turbo R154 5-speed. Or... just the gears.

Ratio's

AR5(MA5) - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729
R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

There is also a set of aftermarket gears for the R154 that will fit the AR5:

Toyota Supra R154 Gearset 2.80 / 1.84 / 1.33 / 1.00 / 0.86

http://www.bpmsports.com/products/gear.htm

Greg
You! Shush! If everybody learns your secrets, how will I keep my secret project under wraps???

:lol:

I've been stalking you all over the interweb...

·
Registered
417 Posts
of course if you change gears from stock factory or trannies you also have to be able to say, "warranty! i dont need no stinkin warranty!" :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
No Fear ;)
Warranties be damned, on all my vehicles...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mrfredsporty said:
of course if you change gears from stock factory or trannies you also have to be able to say, "warranty! i dont need no stinkin warranty!" :)
It is a selective warranty so if the heater breaks and I've replaced my gears, they can't say oh, your heater isn't covered as it's a completely different issue.

·
Registered
417 Posts
sky captain you are a braver man than me gunga din!. on a more serious note. would changing gears or tranny affect the computer timings, read outs, fuel etc. it seems they have sesors everywhere nowadays . i mean after all even leaving your gas cap loose can effect performance! geesh!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I dunno. I haven't laid eyes on a real Kappa yet, so I'm not sure how many wires/sensors will have to be considered when changing a transmission. Manual transmissions are usually pretty minimal though, so I don't think it's anything insurmountable if you halfway know what you're doing.

My plan changes the entire drivetrain though, so I'm not worried. :cool: And I'm also putting it in a chevette first to work out all the little bugs. I also do my own PCM editing, although I rely on a very experienced professional for the big PCM changes.

What it all boils down to, is if you want it bad enough, you can make anything happen...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I take it a local GM service center wouldn't do this work for me right?

Also would swapping out the flywheel be worth while as well?

·
Registered
527 Posts
No, they wouldn't. But if you had the "formula" for doing it, you could get a speed shop to do it.

As my project progresses, I'll keep the forum informed, but I'm not going to post anything specific on it until it's working. As Greg posted, there are a wide variety of transmissions that could be put into the Kappa. The real question is which ones should be put into the Kappa. 6 months from now, GM might have a better gearing package available (think solstice gxp). If so I hardly see the need for swapping in a toyota transmission. On the other hand, if you're putting in an entirely different engine, a well matched transmission from another source isn't going to be that much more difficult...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts