Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Gearing

6K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  AeroDave 
After having driven mine for about a week now, I tend to agree with the reviews. It's geared a little too tall IMO. I think somewhere closer to 4:1 would be better. A 6 speed might have been nice as well.

However, It's not a big beef with me. Don't stress about it. You'll like the car as it is. There is plenty of spunk if you wind it up just a little. I wouldn't go swaping trannies or gear sets. If anything I would look into getting the rear end ratio changed, but again I'm fine with it as is. It may be a different story for you if you intend to race it, but as a street car it's fine. The reason GM no doubt chose the tall gears was to get highway mileage up. So in these days of ever climbing gas prices, it may have been a wise choice after all. Just my take on it. :cheers:

Now that I have owned the car a bit longer, I realize that the rear end ratio is pretty good as is. What I wish for is a closer ratio 6 speed. IMO, this engine has a very well defined and somewhat narrow power band. Oh, it makes good power through out the RPM range, but the real power is between 3500 and 5500 RPM. A 6 speed would allow you to keep it right in that sweet spot. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.