Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at companies that sell the Gen III LNF block, I see ZZP and now FMSR. Has anyone here used FMSR? They are in Pennsylvania, so a little closer to me than ZZP. Looks like there prices are a little less too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looking at companies that sell the Gen III LNF block, I see ZZP and now FMSR. Has anyone here used FMSR? They are in Pennsylvania, so a little closer to me than ZZP. Looks like there prices are a little less too.
FMSR does not exist :lol:. Well it does, but the people running their parts are so few and far between that they are virtually non-existant. FMSR used to post on cobaltss.net talking about their indestructable transmissions and their 3.0L ecotec capable of 1000 hp. All smoke and mirrors. There are tons of threads on cobaltss.net about people trying to order things from fmsr and never getting them, as well as Rudy (owner of FMSR) never providing any proof of these wild claims. It got to the point where he was actually banned from the forum for it :lol:. I would stay far away and save yourself the trouble.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ZZP is no better!

There is a user here or on Skyroadster.com that recently blew his LNF, so he got a replacement from ZZP. It was missing several essential parts and he is still having problems getting it to run right.

Yogi

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Purchased my Wiseco forged pistons and Carrillo rods from Rudy. No real issues. The rods took a while to arrive but they had to be custom made by Carrillo. Pretty good customer service in general.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Tried to get some information from FMSR on their modified heads for Ecotec engines and got nowhere " let the buyer beware "

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ZZP is no better!

There is a user here or on Skyroadster.com that recently blew his LNF, so he got a replacement from ZZP. It was missing several essential parts and he is still having problems getting it to run right.

Yogi
HERE is the thread that I was talking about.

Yogi

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Uh....why not just buy them from GM? Give crate a call.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Uh....why not just buy them from GM? Give crate a call.
You can but you will still need to work on it yourself then. A stock LDK will not fit into a Solstice or Sky. It needs to have an LNF head on it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I know nothing about "Gen III" but I thought that I'd show you THIS

Yogi

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
You can but you will still need to work on it yourself then. A stock LDK will not fit into a Solstice or Sky. It needs to have an LNF head on it.
Yeah, so you pay your mechanic to swap heads or do it yourself onto the new short block, or you pay ZZP or whoever.....

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a little more poking around, I found out the gen III block is really a LDK block that you have to put an LNF head on becuase of heater hose clearance with the firewall. It's a better block rated out to 500HP in stock form, but can be a problem if you need to deal with your heater core later.

I was going to just go with the block and build the bottom end myself with the head from my engine. Not sure which company is straight up after some of the posts I've read. Does GM just sell the block and crank? I'll have to check.

Or I could just rebuild a gen II block and hope it doesn't crack on me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is a link to an old post I made a couple of years ago, it’s long but may help in your decisions:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f26/gen-i-gen-ii-gen-iii-differences-78369/

They really didn’t find any issues with the block until they got over 500hp.

Also you need to be careful when talking about a Gen III engine, ZZP and FMSR aren’t talking about what GM would call a Gen III. GM’s Gen III is the LTG engine used in the Cadillac ATS, CTS and Chevy Malibu and is totally different than the Gen II used in the Solstice.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is a link to an old post I made a couple of years ago, it’s long but may help in your decisions:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f26/gen-i-gen-ii-gen-iii-differences-78369/

They really didn’t find any issues with the block until they got over 500hp.

Also you need to be careful when talking about a Gen III engine, ZZP and FMSR aren’t talking about what GM would call a Gen III. GM’s Gen III is the LTG engine used in the Cadillac ATS, CTS and Chevy Malibu and is totally different than the Gen II used in the Solstice.
Excellent post. I will read the articles tonight. I understand that the LDK replaced the LNF as an upgrade to some of the problems in the LNF platform. Is this true? Someone called it Gen 2.5. Is this a direct replacement, or are there issues with installation?

So by your post, as long as I stay under 500HP with and LNF, I should be ok? But I also see others saying 400HP only on the stock internals. That would be something that needed to be replaced to maintain relyability in the engine. Correct so far?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The LDK came after they stopped making the Solstice. It is the same basic engine as the LNF (I doubt there were any big changes), if I were buying a new short block or new engine I would get the LNF if it is available. If you search Wikipedia:
GM Ecotec engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The difference between a long block and short block: A short block is the block, crank, rods and pistons (and I think the cam). The long block has the heads valve train and a few other things. If you go through crate engines - the big difference is they are built on the production line and short block goes through a factory spin test (which spots problems) and the long block is actually fired up (using natural gas).

The 500hp was from memory on the block. The rods and pistons were another story. This is based on the superstreetonline article included in the link I provided above. The article was written in 2002 and the LNF engine had some of the changes incorporated into it. The LTG engine was supposed to have included all of the changes to 750hp.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That LTG/LCV engine design looks to be the future engine swap down the road. Belt driven water pump, balance shafts in crankcase girdle with small drive chain, spin on oil filter, water pump and tstat mount on common accessible housing...

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
The Gen 3 block found in the LDK has substantial cylinder wall/ block improvements over the LNF.

I have a LDK W/ LNF head in my solstice.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The difference between a long block and short block: A short block is the block, crank, rods and pistons (and I think the cam). The long block has the heads valve train and a few other things. If you go through crate engines - the big difference is they are built on the production line and short block goes through a factory spin test (which spots problems) and the long block is actually fired up (using natural gas).
If that engine is built in a GM engine plant it would not be hot tested with any fuel, natural gas or otherwise. They only run cold test. Maybe aftermarket builders still hot test.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If that engine is built in a GM engine plant it would not be hot tested with any fuel, natural gas or otherwise. They only run cold test. Maybe aftermarket builders still hot test.
Maybe today they don't, but when I worked at the Pontiac Engine Plant they fired every engine up using natural gas. It was shut down in 1992.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, everything previously was hot tested. I retired from Tonawanda engine in 2008 and the last line of hot testers left in 2004. All engine programs currently use cold test although some off site contractors do random hot test for reliability testing. Who knows what the hell they do in Europe or China.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes, everything previously was hot tested. I retired from Tonawanda engine in 2008 and the last line of hot testers left in 2004. All engine programs currently use cold test although some off site contractors do random hot test for reliability testing. Who knows what the hell they do in Europe or China.
How does a "Cold Test" work? Do they just spin the engine by attaching it to an electric motor? Watch oil pressure, cylinder compression pressures and such, looking for anomalies?

Yogi

1 - 20 of 37 Posts