Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am working on figuring out the best course of action as to how to go about doing this.

I am trying to, on something resembling a budget, get a the right motor into my Saturn Sky (some goober in Delaware forgot a bunch of cylinders when he installed the motor).

I am opening this up to the community to help me with planning the build. My plan is to start accruing parts and kick off the build this winter when she comes back off the road. I figure this gives me plenty of time.

I'm leaning towards using 5.3 iron block to get the swap done. What I need to know is are there any major challenges/differences in using a GenII block vs a Gen IV. I was looking at a 5.3 out of something like a 99 silverado. This is a cost driven decision as an LS2 is going to put me close to 4k just to get the motor and trans, as opposed to 400$ for a running 5.3

Transmission will definitely be a T56.

and that is about as far as I got.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Do you need to worry about emissions?

If not, go with whatever works for you.

If you do need to be emissions compliant, there are federal laws: no truck engines, engine must be as new or newer than what you are replacing. (you are pretty much stuck with an expensive engine, LS3, LS7, LS9, or LSA).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah well that throws a monkey wrench into the mess doesn't it. It would need to be emissions compliant, unless of course I registered it as a composite car... which is a nightmare.

Back to the drawing board.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Ah well that throws a monkey wrench into the mess doesn't it. It would need to be emissions compliant, unless of course I registered it as a composite car... which is a nightmare.

Back to the drawing board.
Don't get discouraged yet, do your research. I've looked into it before, but I've never been real serious about doing it.

Certainly don't take my word for it, I'm just another opinion out there on the internet.

Just find out and know what the hurdles are before you start the race.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Look into the lc9 its the all alluminum 5.3 but it is available with a different cam option with wiring harness exhaust and gas pedal. 325 horse 350 toque. highly considering it myself

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you do need emissions, I got my hands on this handy OBD2 sim that even emulates CVN checksums etc. I'm sure you could too. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm from the old school and just take one of my other cars to get inspected and immediatly take the sticker off, put it on the car that needs it and go get the car inspected again somewhere else. figure is't no more illegal than tricking the computer so ...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
According to the locals here, it is easy to pass a sniffer test w/ any ls and dual cats (and a good tune). They don't do sniffer tests normally in Ga. The issue is passing the obd2 codes test, vin # check, and visual check for cats. If you tape a $100 bill to the extra valve cover, the inspector might miss the extra 4 cylinders. The other option in Ga is to have your dad register the car. Over 65 is exempt for 1 vehicle.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Have you thought about using a gm 6.0l? I can't remember which version it was but a car show on tv spent around 3 grand total and produced about 550hp and over 600 tq.

I want to say they picked up the engine and harnesses for under a grand.

If you are looking at staying under 400 hp I would just put the money into the 2.0. A V8 making under 400 hp is a waste of time and money IMO unless you are looking for the sound but that is an expensive build for sound.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Oh, I can see spending a couple grand just for sound but that's just me. I'm sure others will agree. that deep roar you get from a V8 is VERY satisfying.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Too each is his own. I undestand the V8 sound, nothing beats a big block with headers and straight pipes or a dump out after the header. It will piss off the neighbors but that is music to my ears as well.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
If you are looking at staying under 400 hp I would just put the money into the 2.0. A V8 making under 400 hp is a waste of time and money IMO unless you are looking for the sound but that is an expensive build for sound.
X2!
Must be a few expensive but good sounding V8 Kappas that are slower than a tuned 4 cylinder out there, but I wouldn't be one to spend that much just for sound.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine is definitely not one of the slower than a tuned 4 cylinder V8's and it sounds great to boot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts