Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need new tires to replace those god awful RS-As next year, any suggestions on these two?

- General G-MAX AS-03
- Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Gonna run my winters in a month or so, so purchase will probably be next Spring.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I have the DWS's (as do many others here) and love 'em. Much better all round than even the factory F1's on my GXP. Can't comment on the General's.

But if you're using snow tires in the winter, why choose all-season's for your 3-season tires? May be better to go with the Conti DW (no-S) or Michelin PSS's

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Costs more, wears down faster, plus in the event I get busy and don't have time to do the changeover, I could let my all-season spill over for a week or two.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't know a thing about the Generals, but I can tell you two of the WORST tires I've ever driven on in a Kappa. Continental DWS's and Yokohama S Drives. Horrible tires when pushed or in a situation where you really need them to work. I personally know of at least one Kappa that was totaled because of DWS's. The Yoko's work great until they all the sudden let loose and cannot be brought back in line AT ALL. The best tires I've ever run, and the ONLY tire I will ever run on a Kappa is the Continental DW's.

Like TS said, why run all season tires if you have a dedicated winter set?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I realize this thread has been inactive for a bit, but was a decision ever reached? I know you were looking for the spring, but I just thought I'd ask. I will be bringing home an 08 GXP in the next 2 weeks and will probably replace the tires soon as they are still the factory F1's. I was leaning towards the Generals myself as the car will be my DD. I have no experience of my own with those particular tires, but all of the reviews are positive and the other Generals I have used have been good tires.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have DW in the rear and love them. Can only break them loose when I really try, but they are 275s too. They are awesomely quiet compared to stock. I have also heard nothing but bad stuff about the DWS version.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have no experience with either tire, but I'll throw out some trivia. The last I knew, Continental bought General Tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Conti DWS on two other cars. Nothing but good things to say about dry, wet and snow performance. Phenomenal in wet conditions. Great rating on tire rack too. Excellent grip and progressive slip when pushed to the edge. They are top on my list for upgrading the GXP tires next year.

Have not tried the generals in question.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hankook RS3. Best bang for the buck. I promise you they are the closes comparison to getting into R-compound territory. They are priced well too. The only thing is that they are low tread life.

I can also vouch for Star Spec's

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no experience with either tire, but I'll throw out some trivia. The last I knew, Continental bought General Tire.
Yeah that's what I thought. And coincidentally both of them went clearance for the old load rating around the same time, leading me to think they are actually the same compound.

And no, I still don't have my tires yet. Only a few more weeks on the god awful RS-As and moving back to my iPikes. Unless I find a crazy deal I can't refuse...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the DWS's (as do many others here) and love 'em. Much better all round than even the factory F1's on my GXP. Can't comment on the General's.

But if you're using snow tires in the winter, why choose all-season's for your 3-season tires? May be better to go with the Conti DW (no-S) or Michelin PSS's
Long term wear. Summers get eat up much quicker. Also it lets me to be lazy for a bit and run them into the snow if I get busy and don't have time to change over. My friend had Falken 452s and was away, when he came back it was cold and the tires had no traction at all.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Long term wear. Summers get eat up much quicker. Also it lets me to be lazy for a bit and run them into the snow if I get busy and don't have time to change over. My friend had Falken 452s and was away, when he came back it was cold and the tires had no traction at all.
So good, that you answered me twice! :lol:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ended up ordering a set of Hankook Ventus V12s. Too cheap to pass...

Took advantage of the DTD sale on eBay, got them for under $600 shipped and Canadian taxed (assuming I get both the Hankook and DTD rebates...) :D

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Hello TC. WOW! A set of Ventus V12s for $600 including shipping and Canadian taxes from DTD! Speaking as a fellow Canuck, that is a good deal. I, too, plan on buying new treads next spring (just mounted my new 225/55/17 Blizzaks for the winter). My car came with near-new Potenza RE760 Sports in front and original, to quote you, "god-awful RS-As" on the rear (near-zero adhesion in the wet). Thought of getting two new RE760s, but at the price you paid for the Hankooks, a full set of those does sound too good to pass up.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello TC. WOW! A set of Ventus V12s for $600 including shipping and Canadian taxes from DTD! Speaking as a fellow Canuck, that is a good deal. I, too, plan on buying new treads next spring (just mounted my new 225/55/17 Blizzaks for the winter). My car came with near-new Potenza RE760 Sports in front and original, to quote you, "god-awful RS-As" on the rear (near-zero adhesion in the wet). Thought of getting two new RE760s, but at the price you paid for the Hankooks, a full set of those does sound too good to pass up.
One thing I did forget to mention is that I'm actually driving to Buffalo to pick them up and get them installed... so the price I mentioned is NOT to Canada, though I did factor in taxes at the border.

They still have 3 sets, BTW FYI. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts