Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many new members joining each week maybe we should get sort of FAQ going to get people caught up?

This will be the general FAQ (maybe it can be "pinned" up at the top?)

Make it a group effort so it can grow over time. Members post a common question and answer in same post.

Try not to start any conversations within the thread, each separate post should be a Q & A so it's easy to read.

:cheers

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'll start with an easy one...

Question: When will the Solstice be available?

Answer: Pontiac's only official statement so far has been "Fall of 2005" as a 2006 model. There has been some rumors and wishful thinking that it will appear in summer of 2005.

Moderator's note: Updated answers available at the Technical FAQ thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Question: What colors will be available?

Answer: No one knows yet. They probably won't disclose that until very close to release date. However there are lots of member created photochops of different colors to look at in the gallery. Remember, these are not official.

Moderator's note: Updated answers available at the Technical FAQ thread. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Troy,

An information panel (similar to a data sheet from an auto mag) is on the Technical FAQ thread in the "Solstice Technical Section". http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360

Question: Will there be a higher horsepower engine available? If so, what form will it be and how much will it cost?

Answer: Officially, only subtle hints have been given by GM/Pontiac about a more powerful Solstice coming. Consensus from some magazine articles is around 240 HP, but no committment on whether it is a turbo or supercharged. Highest probability is some sort of forced induction. There is no information on when it might be available, but most certainly will not be available anytime during the first model year. It will likely cost whatever the market will bear, a question that will have to be answered at a future date.

Question: Will there be a removable hardtop, retractable hardtop, or any type of roof other than the soft-top shown?

Answer: It does not currently look like there will be any type of replacement top available for the first year of production. There has been no word or information from GM that supports availability of anything other than a rag-top.

Question: How much can I fit in the trunk?

Answer: This is answered in the technical specs section (to be yet created), but estimates are 4 cubic feet with the top up and 2 cubic feet with the top down, based on a magazine article written by someone who actually drove a Solstice in England. The Mazda Miata and the Honda S2000 have approximately 5 cubic feet of trunk space.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Question: Will an automatic transmission be offered?

Answer: GM has only indicated a manual 5 speed so far. We have to assume there will be an automatic at some point but the information released so far only mentions manual trans so the assumption is year 1 will be manual.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Question: What size wheels and tires will it have?

Answer: Several publications have been saying it will come with P245/45R18 inch tires on all four corners. Possibly this will be an option with smaller diameter wheels and less expensive tires as standard equipment. This is a change from what was on the first concept car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Question: Have any car magazines driven a Solstice yet?

Answer: Yes, many major car magazines where invited to England this past winter (2004) by GM to test drive an engineering "mule" (built for testing). Results from these early tests were published in the spring in most major car magazines. Check this forum's news section for discussion and links to those articles.

Adding links to most of test mule articles from May/June 2004:
MotorTrend
AutoWeek
CarDriver
Automobile does not seem to have their article on the web.

·
Registered
182 Posts
While there has been no official statement as far as exactly what transmissions will be offered besides the five speed manual it would behoove GM to offer an automatic since I read estimates that 60% of the sports car marketplace buys auto over manual. That being said, since there has been no word what so ever about an auto, an assumption has been made that there will be a delay between the solstice's introduction and the availability of the auto tranny. If this assumption is correct or not I do not know, and I do not believe that anyone outside of GM has the answer.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Question: How does Solstice compare to other cars in size & weight?

Answer: See comparison below (jpeg of spreadsheet). PM me if any of the figures are off and I'll fix it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
mceb said:
Question: How does Solstice compare to other cars in size & weight?

Answer: See comparison below (jpeg of spreadsheet). PM me if any of the figures are off and I'll fix it.

Question: Ok, so the Solstice is bigger. Is the weight really appropriate for the size of vehicle it is?

Answer: In a word, yes. Indications are the size of a car (roadster) is the main influence on the overall weight of a car. The bigger the car, the more it weighs, give or take a few pounds.

Take a look at this chart:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26

and the discussion at this thread:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78

It appears the Solstice target weight of 2860 is in line with the size of the

car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tcl said:
Great job. If you are open for one more suggestion, I would add a column for power to weight ratio (lbs/hp).
Added power to weight ratio (hope it's right..math isn't my favorite :smile). Also fixed a problem on S2000 wheelbase.

·
Registered
533 Posts
mceb said:
Added power to weight ratio (hope it's right..math isn't my favorite :smile). Also fixed a problem on S2000 wheelbase.
Excellent. Based on what you did, I put in a couple of rumored horsepower figures for a future supercharged version and this is what the ratios look like:

2860 170HP 16.8
2860 200HP 14.3
2860 240HP 11.9

The 240HP number should make it a better performer than the S2000 since it would likely have more usable torque with a similar power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
172 Posts
tcl said:
The 240HP number should make it a better performer than the S2000 since it would likely have more usable torque with a similar power to weight ratio.
The '04 S2000 is widely believed to be extremely under-rated when it comes to hosepower. The tests I have seen indicate @ 260 h.p. for the 2.2 S2000. But the Solstice will still have higher peak torque and and a more usuable power band, so it should be close.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Question: So how long has the development of the Solstice really taken? What are the significant milestones?

Answer: It depends on how you count the 'start', and how you count the 'available to public' or 'production' date.

Since the official statements are "Fall 2005", we'll use that as available to public, "production" date.

-From first initial idea to production (Fall 2001 to Fall 2005), 4 years.
-From decision and initial design, but not approved program (guessed at late 2002, from articles talking about 'feasibility studies' to Fall 2005), Approx 3 years
-From first prototypes to production (Mid 2003-Fall 2005) 2 1/2 Years

Likely time to be cited is about 3 years to production for a brand new platform - probably the quickest new platform design and development to production in the last 35 years.

Here's a look at the main parts of the history of the Solstice so far:

January 2002: Solstice roadster debuts at NAIAS - it's a hit! Hmmm, Lutz starts thinking...

Mid-Late 2002: rumors from lutz and wagoner that they will build the Solstice from the "parts bin", nothing official, looking for platform

January 2003: Smith announces intent to build the Solstice, GM says "studying feasibility"

May 2003: Lutz admits prototypes are being evaluated at Milford Proving Ground, not an approved program

July 2003: Delaware assembly plant looks like where they will build it

August 2003: Prototype caught on road - suggests announcement close

Jan 2004: "Productionized" Solstice shown along with the VX lightning and two other 2+2 Kappa-based concepts - VX shows well, some support for Nomad and Curve (but not runaway hit like solstice in 2002), Solstice still a hit, announced that program is a "GO"

Feb 2004: Some journalists allowed to drive prototypes (Mules) in England

Mar 2004: A Saturn Kappa announced, no details

April 2004: Nomad not well received in clinics (press likes, public luke-warm)

May-June 2004: Articles about the journalist drive start coming out

FALL 2005: Production starts and you can pick up your Solstice at a dealer. (wishful thinking by all of us keeps backing this up - best hope is intro and first vehicle sold by summer solstice, or maybe spring 2005).

·
Registered
4 Posts
tcl said:
Excellent. Based on what you did, I put in a couple of rumored horsepower figures for a future supercharged version and this is what the ratios look like:

2860 170HP 16.8
2860 200HP 14.3
2860 240HP 11.9

Hey Hey! Let's hear it for the Supercharger! Definately a device of choice for this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope there will be a super charger

I just hope there will be a super charger I love my supercharger on my Grand Prix, it would be awesome on the Solstice...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts