Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Not a very good sign, but I would think it is especially bad for Ford. Explorer sales down 22.5%? That is usually the top selling SUV in the country, selling in the 400,000 unit range. Losing nearly a quarter of that is a LOT of lost sales. If truck based SUV sales are tanking for good, Ford is in trouble! The Freestyle is nice, but they are heavily dependent on truck based vehicle sales. Overall, I would think lower sales would be disturbing for Ford too, since they have the fairly new F150, the new Freestyle, 500, and Mustang all out on the market in good numbers now. They are still waiting on the Fusion, but with all those other new vehicles they should be seeing at least steady sales.

GM has similar problems. Their trucks. GM’s pickups and large SUV’s are now just about the oldest on the market. The biggest question I see is whether sales will come back next year when they bring out the redesigned models. Sales may be declining not due to older products, but because people are moving towards more fuel friendly transportation. If that is the case, GM’s delaying the Zeta platform in favor of rushing more trucks to market could be a costly mistake.

Its not going to be long before Toyota is king, unless they trip up badly, or either GM or Ford do a very quick turnaround.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts