Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice Solstice picture attached to the article ;)

General Motors May Boost Rear-Drive Platform to Chase Chrysler

Date Posted 06-21-2005

DETROIT — The success of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum, combined with the buzz around the upcoming 2006 Pontiac Solstice, apparently has prompted General Motors to take a new look at its rear-wheel-drive car strategy, Inside Line has learned.

Earlier this year, GM delayed North American cars that had been scheduled to be built on its new Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform, also used for next-generation Holdens in Australia, due to costs. A new "Zeta Lite" platform, if approved by management, could underpin several new rear-wheel-drive sedans, including a premium Buick sedan, a latter-day Chevrolet Caprice and a possible successor to the Australia-built Pontiac GTO coupe, referred to within GM as the G8. None of the models would begin production before 2010.

The Zeta platform is related to the Sigma architecture already used by three Cadillac models — the CTS, STS and SRX — all of which are scheduled for major overhauls starting in model-year 2008. In addition, Cadillac is considering a luxury coupe and an ultraluxury sedan known internally as ULS. Both are based on Sigma and tentatively slated for 2009-'10.

Meantime, the new, low-priced, rear-drive Kappa platform used by the Solstice, on sale later this summer, will be shared with the 2007 Saturn Sky, plus two new two-seaters from Opel in Europe and possibly a Saab, in the vein of the legendary Sonnett.

What this means to you: Rear-wheel drive means more fun for the driver. Enthusiasts could have much to cheer about if GM executes its rear-drive car strategy.
Link:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106164

Attachments

·
5,641 Posts
Here is a caption for the picture borrowed from Auto Extremist 6/22/2005

The 2006 Pontiac Solstice roadster, photographed at the Stonehenge Memorial, a full-size reconstruction of England's original stone-age site, at the Maryhill Museum of Art in Goldendale, Washington, Sunday, June 19, 2005.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The article mentions TWO Opel kappas. That's new to me. I normally read all papers here and the only information I have is that there will be a roadster.

What could the second car be? A coupe?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
t.henss said:
The article mentions TWO Opel kappas. That's new to me. I normally read all papers here and the only information I have is that there will be a roadster.

What could the second car be? A coupe?
Yes that is the first I've heard of 2 Opels as well as the reference to possible Saab (there had been Saab rumors a while ago).

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solsticeman said:
Wishful and normally inaccurate thinking from edmunds?
Yea I was thinking same thing, these news outlets seem to speculate or regurgitate old or inaccurate information.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think when they mentioned the two Euro versions, they meant one for Opel, one for Saab, not two Opels and a third Saab. At any rate, I would have to see a lot of corroborating news of a Saab version before I believed that one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well the Opel version is pretty much confirmed, I read about it a while back Click Here To See its going to be the replacement for the current "Opel Speedster" they have overseas, and it will be built in DE with the other Kappas. Kind of strange, a european company is going to have a car built in the USA and shipped all the way over to them... but as far as we know the car will not be sold in america. I know Opel is GM owned but still it seems weird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts