1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Torrent will be a big help to Pontiac SUV sales. The Equinox has been a big hit for Chevy, and I am sure Pontiac can move plenty of them too! In fact, based on the drawing, I think the Pontiac looks a little better. The Equinox looks a little out of proportion to me.

The only thing I dislike is the engine. I’d like to see GM use a more powerful engine than that 3.4L Chinese sourced motor. An SUV/Crossover such as this should be using at least the 200 HP 3.5L used in the G6/Malibu.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Add to that:
http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101103
about a V8 Grand Prix GPX for spring 2005. Guess since the GTO looks like a two door Grand Prix anyway, may as well just add a couple of doors and change the name to match the car. :rolleyes
I had assumed the GP GXP would be using a version of the Northstar engine as the Bonneville GXP does, but this looks like a version of the Vortech 5.3L truck motor. Same displacement, high torque output, and available Displacement on Demand. Not sure that is available on any Northstar variant yet.

I don’t think its quite the same as the GTO, even if the GTO’s stylingis a disappointment to some. The LS2 equipped 2005 GTO will pack 400 HP to the GP GXP’s 295, and it will drive the rear wheels instead of being a front driver. That’s an important distinction.

I am glad to see GM squeeze a V8 into the car, but it still is no GTO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
what engine is in the equinox? i know the equinox is a rehash of the vue, which is using the 3.5l honda v6 w/250hp! if neither use that, i'd be prone to go with the VUE anyday, it's a nice suv minus the weird cloth patterns :rolleyes

·
Registered
667 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I am glad to see GM squeeze a V8 into the car, but it still is no GTO.
Amen! What do you guys think it would take for Pontiac to (re-) produce a model that was true to the established heritage of the real GTO. In my view it got to be more than just added HP. IMHO this current car has no soul or style, so adding 100 more HP would not entice me to lay my money down for it. "I've known GTO's and this new thing is no GTO!"

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Vita said:
what engine is in the equinox? i know the equinox is a rehash of the vue, which is using the 3.5l honda v6 w/250hp! if neither use that, i'd be prone to go with the VUE anyday, it's a nice suv minus the weird cloth patterns :rolleyes
The Equinox uses a 3.4L 185 HP pushrod motor. Its essentially the GM minivan motor, except that the one in the Equinox is being imported from China. The Torrent is supposed to get the China sourced 3.4L as well.

I'd rather have the Honda motor in the Vue than the China sourced GM motor in the Equinox. However, the Equinox does have one important difference. It rides on a longer wheelbase so it has more interior room. That can be an important advantage for the Equinox.

What GM really needs to do is get production of the 3.9L pushrod up and running and get it into these SUV's.

DreamerDave said:
Sorry, didn't catch that it was still FWD. Had assumed it was a Holden,too Was curious about not having a LS2.
Yeah, it would have been nice to see it return to rear wheel drive. Maybe Pontiac will get a RWD 4 door off the Zeta platform around the same time as the new GTO comes out.

The interesting thing about the 5.3L truck motor is that their truck motors are based on the Corvette motors basic architecture. There are differences, but the amount of space it takes up would be about the same. Therefore, I would assume an LS2 would fit in the engine bay. Not sure I would want 400 HP in a FWD only vehicle, but I bet it would do some really nice FWD burnouts! :devil

Chip said:
Amen! What do you guys think it would take for Pontiac to (re-) produce a model that was true to the established heritage of the real GTO. In my view it got to be more than just added HP. IMHO this current car has no soul or style, so adding 100 more HP would not entice me to lay my money down for it. "I've known GTO's and this new thing is no GTO!"
Even understanding that the new GTO doesn't show any retro styling details with past GTP's, I think it is a fabulous car. I think its only problem is that GM decided to attach the GTO name to it. By using that classic name, they are signaling the public that this is a retro muscle car. Then they show the car and it is a modern grand touring coupe with no hint at its heritage at all, and they are disapponted. If they named this car anything else, nobody would have complained.

Styling wise this car is very good. It has a low, wide look from the front end. Its long and sleek, with a character line just below the beltline. Its not an overly aggressive design, but it does flow well and is a clean design. The Manaro it is based on has essentially the same bodywork aside from the nose and it has been praised for its styling countless times.

Basically, the should be a hit. It just needed its own name.

Pontiac is working on re-doing it in the mold of more classic GTO's. The next GTO should be out in the 2007-2008 time frame and will be based on the all new Zeta platform. It will also be manufactured in North America. We don't know what it will look like yet, but I would be absolutely dumbfounded if it were not a modern interpretation of the GTO using all kinds of classic styling ques. GM has heard all the criticism, and seen cars languish on lots. They won't hand out more of the same.

That said, be sure to drive the GTO before you decide if it is soulless. It is a fabulous car to drive! It handles very well, has tons of power, the best interior of any GM vehicle in this country! It really is one slick ride, even if the purists don't think it is a real GTO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts