Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Genius or hack behind the marketing

  • Genius marketing

    Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Hackjob marketing

    Votes: 18 54.5%

  • Total voters
    33
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking about how Pontiac has been slowly releasing bits and pieces of information to us over the last few months, and I have been wondering if this is not just genius marketing. If pontiac just let us have all of the information right away we would discuss it pationatly for a month or two, and then everything would die down. By letting the info trickle in and allowing a few shots of the trunk and other features pop up, we will have been debating this car for close to a year. That is the premise behind my question. Is this trickle of information being engineered, or does pontiac really not have its stuff together and the trickle of info is all they can give us at that moment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Brian said:
I have been thinking about how Pontiac has been slowly releasing bits and pieces of information to us over the last few months, and I have been wondering if this is not just genius marketing. If pontiac just let us have all of the information right away we would discuss it pationatly for a month or two, and then everything would die down. By letting the info trickle in and allowing a few shots of the trunk and other features pop up, we will have been debating this car for close to a year. That is the premise behind my question. Is this trickle of information being engineered, or does pontiac really not have its stuff together and the trickle of info is all they can give us at that moment.

:agree: You hit it right on target Brian. It amazes me that here we are so near to production and we still don't know, other than rumours, what standard equipment, options, colors, etc. there will be. You bet this is being orchestrated! Pretty cleaver marketing job! Or perhaps, as you say, their just not sure yet whether their going to throw in the leather interior as a Solstice premium on the first 1000. :lol: As soon as my source reveals anything new I will post it. (Can't reveal who or heads would roll!)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
I think we haven't seen the marketing yet. Original estimates was fall 05 and when it got pushed up they didn't want to put out too much info I think until the last minute. Maybe the MX-5 thing too stalled them a bit while they watched that unfold in Geneva.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
You are probably right. From GM's releases I am reading from it sounds like they are limiting advertising to a couple of TV spots for the Early Order Program.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
I can't really say either one...

I don't think this is planned, so I can't say it's "genius". Neither can I say it's "hackjob", because it seems to have sustained buzz a lot longer than I thought...

Maybe I can summarize it as "I don't think they had a marketing plan, but then again it seems to have worked..."

I think that marketing and industries in general have an overinflated opinion as to the actual importance of "buzz" and "marketing".

What happened to the Oprah G6 thing? Why have G6 sales slowed (I thought I heard that, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I heard it on the radio). Big splash + inadequate to support an entire market = marketing stunt.

And why hasn't Toyota, who is poised to potentially overtake GM globally, ever done one of these marketing splash? Maybe 'cause they spend their cash on stuff like... the PRODUCT? Making small improvements in every product, year after year?

<shrug>

I don't know. I'm just a scientist.:lol:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Here is how I see itI think GM had a lose plan to slowly roll out Solstice information. They showed the production model so far in advance (Jan 2004) to start a buzz, and try to create an image of Pontiac being on the rebound. In that sense, I think there was a marketing plan, but it was aimed more towards Pontiac and GM as a whole than the Solstice individually. Maybe that is what makes it a halo car? Even take the 2005 full model line brochure. Its been available for a couple months now, but it has the Solstice in it too. Maybe to drum up buzz about the Solstice, but as much to promote Pontiac as the maker of fun, sporty cars. Now they only need a catchy phrase in their marketing like "Zoom, Zoom." :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I mentioned this over in OT, but this is what I think is happening, and is why I voted genius.

I'm thinking GM is (was) waiting for Mazda to make their move with the NC. I'm sure they are bust'n arse tweaking their marketing spin while we are all pop-heads over the AWOL top. Once the dust settles from the NC unveiling, they will drop the top bomb, good or bad. Either way, it will make the NC yesterday's news. Let Mazda stir up interest in the roadster market, then come in on the coat tails with "cheaper, faster, newer, prettier".

This kinda reminds me of when Subaru waited untill after Mitsubushi announced the 270 HP EVO to announce the 300hp 2.5 liter STI. Everyone knew Subaru was going to come to the table with the STI, the suprize was the 2.5 liter USDM exclusive engine.

Maybe Pontiac has something up their sleeve?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
I can't vote either way. I don't don't think it is a hack job, but I don't think it was a great big plan either. I think they showed us the Solstice early because they wanted to get a new Pontiac image going ASAP, but I believe the reason we haven't been given all the final details is because they are having problems or it's news they don't really want us to hear. I the long run, I'd have to say that releasing a lot of info on the Solstice early on may have been good for Pontiac, but I don't think it was too good for the car. It's images have been around so long, that it's almost like it has already been released and we're just waiting for delivery. The initial buzz is wearing off and now people are focusing more on the short comings of the design. So if the poll were to have a "neither one" option, I would have voted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I'm not sure you can characterize the marketing as either genius or hackjob.
I think there's probably a number of constraints which have forced them to play it the way they are.
The Roadster market is a very narrow and fickle one. It's also a crowded market (unlike the early 90's when Miata was pretty well it) with attention going to what's generally new. I think GM needs to keep some of the mystery going not only to create buzz, but also to keep competition from drawing direct comparisons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
... Now they only need a catchy phrase in their marketing like "Zoom, Zoom." :)
What do you mean? They've got "Pontiac Action"... (dunno what happened to "fuel for the soul")
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
What do you mean? They've got "Pontiac Action"... (dunno what happened to "fuel for the soul")
That's Pontiaction. :lol: I still favor the phrase in my sig they used in 97 for the Grand Prix : "wide track is back"
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
What do you mean? They've got "Pontiac Action"... (dunno what happened to "fuel for the soul")
I rest my case.... :glol:

I really disliked Fuel for the Soul. I mildly dislike Action. Even if they aren't bad, they are not the home rum Zoom, Zoom has been for Mazda.

I guess I am stuck in the past too much. I liked it when there catch phrase was "We Build Excitement" :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
For us over 50 guys and gals, how about "We will, we will, ROCK you!" :lol: If we can remember what it means ...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
... I liked it when there catch phrase was "We Build Excitement" :)

...except I had a friend that kept saying "Pont-'wreck' - We build excrement!":lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I liked it when there catch phrase was "We Build Excitement" :)
Yeah it was a good one. Too bad they never followed that one up with any exciting cars. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
achieftain said:
That's Pontiaction. :lol: I still favor the phrase in my sig they used in 97 for the Grand Prix : "wide track is back"
I like it too, but I don't think too many people get the historical refference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
As others have said, I feel they had a marketing timeline geared around a September release to showrooms and were caught by suprise with the move forward to late June, early July. If that truely is the case, then an email to publications went out, at most, a couple of weeks ago with a new, earlier embargo date and with it, a lot of articles in the press to come out in a month or so. I'm very hopefull that the May issues (on stands April Fools day) will be full of the Solstice News. It would boost sale of pre-orders and at least answer the question I still hear with the car just a few months from showrooms, "What's a Solstice?"
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
As others have said, I feel they had a marketing timeline geared around a September release to showrooms and were caught by suprise with the move forward to late June, early July. If that truely is the case, then an email to publications went out, at most, a couple of weeks ago with a new, earlier embargo date and with it, a lot of articles in the press to come out in a month or so. I'm very hopefull that the May issues (on stands April Fools day) will be full of the Solstice News. It would boost sale of pre-orders and at least answer the question I still hear with the car just a few months from showrooms, "What's a Solstice?"
That would be a nice surprise, to see some Sol info by April 1 in the May issue of all the rags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I think whether they planned this or not... It is a hack job... It is holding me back from putting down a deposite... Because I wan't 1. a guaranteed price 2. know what motor and tranny set up 3. about the convertable top... I know some of these things have been said... But I asked the dealership I am going to buy from, the specs and the full price with tax etc... He said he would email me as soon as he got them... To me it has been a bad plan because I am not one to jump the gun "anymore hahaha". So I hope this guy gets back to me because he only has a list for 15 and I would be #6 right now if I had the specs etc... I am oot going to be happy if this guy gets back to me and I am #15 or don't get in... I want to be atleast #7-8 so I know I am getting one incase of f**k ups... :willy:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top