Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My name is Tobias and I'm living in Germany. As most of you probably know, neither the Pontiac Solstice nor the Saturn Sky will officially be available in Europe :-(

American and european car markets are still very different and I think that is one of the main reasons for this decision of GM. BUT the roadster series based on the GM-kappa-platform perfectly fit into the europeans image of a relative cheap, small and yet fun-delivering sports car.

So GM is going to give us our "own" kappa raodster. It will be sold by the GM brand Opel and it's name will be GT. (Some of the older ones might remember the legendary Opel GT that was an amazing success 30 years ago.)

Basically the GT seems to be exactly the same as the Saturn Sky. If you ask me, all they will probably do is to "rebrand" it and to modify it's lights for the european market.

You might ask, why is this guy writing here? Aren't there any forums in Germany?
Yes there are a lot of them and NOBODY seems to know much about the coming GT.

That's were you come in, if you want to. Some of you have already touched or even sat in the Solstice. When the GT is officially presented to the public at the IAA/Frankfurt in september some of you might already posses your own solstice.

You do have the product approximately 1 year before all of us poor europeans ;-)

So I hope you understand, that there are lot's of questions I want to ask.

After this quite long introduction of my person and the background of this post, here is my first question:

I'm quite large. 1.9 m. Let me calculate what this is in non-metric units... 74.86 inch or 6.16 feet (OH, what a pain!) .
So will I fit in the car?

Thank you and I think, I will post further questions later.

Tobias

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tobias, from what I have read here people your height and 100 kg have no problems fitting. Look around some more or do a search and I am sure you will find more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, wow, that was a quick answer! I should get used to the time difference.

So before I go to bed last question for today:

There are those great "things" on the trunk deck. In german they are called "Hutze", but that won't help anyone. Let's describe them: the two fantastic curvatures that extend the head rests.
Will they really be there in the final car? (Please let them be!)

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
t.henss said:

There are those great "things" on the trunk deck. In german they are called "Hutze", but that won't help anyone. Let's describe them: the two fantastic curvatures that extend the head rests.
They are on both the SOL/SKY and since the SKY is a rebadge Opel then I would think the answer will be a definetly YES!
Here is a picture of the back of the Opel but I do not know if this is the real thing for Europe, I do wish this back end would be on the SKY. Also a picture from the back end of the SKY, although the tail lights on the Opel picture look more like the SOL tail lights.

Attachments

·
5,600 Posts
t.henss said:

The beautiful extensions behind the headrests (a roadster trademark) are part of the car's final design, as seen in recent photos of early production cars at the Wilmington plant posted by our member "2kwk4u".

·
Registered
479 Posts
t.henss said:

I sure hope so, if not they will have 1 additional Solstice to sell, because I won't be purchasing mine.... :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LatinVenom said:
They are on both the SOL/SKY and since the SKY is a rebadge Opel then I would think the answer will be a definetly YES!
Here is a picture of the back of the Opel but I do not know if this is the real thing for Europe, I do wish this back end would be on the SKY. Also a picture from the back end of the SKY, although the tail lights on the Opel picture look more like the SOL tail lights.
Thanks! But I would be a bad fan to post here not knowing the pictures of our own press. The picture shows a "concept" car. In principle the design is great (if you ask me).

The problem is that I've seen those headrest-things (I still don't know how they are called) on some other "roadsters" before. I remember the concept car of the old Mercedes SLK. It had those wonderful "things", and then... they just disappeared in the final design :-(

But Ok, I think I can trust you that they'll be there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What you have seen of the solstice (as long as you are not looking at old concept photos) is what it will look like at the dealership. If the Opel is just a rebadged Sky, die Hutze will probably be their too, even though the Skys design is still not finalized (I believe). Personally I think die Hutze on the Sky are too pointy. And if their is an english word for Hutze, I don't know it, so lets all just use Hutze from now on!

·
Registered
101 Posts
t.henss said:
Thanks! But I would be a bad fan to post here not knowing the pictures of our own press. The picture shows a "concept" car. In principle the design is great (if you ask me).

The problem is that I've seen those headrest-things (I still don't know how they are called) on some other "roadsters" before. I remember the concept car of the old Mercedes SLK. It had those wonderful "things", and then... they just disappeared in the final design :-(

But Ok, I think I can trust you that they'll be there.

Sehen Sie bitte der "Gallery" in die "Soltice Foum". Lese die
ganze teile und vieleicht es wirt helfen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
bcbriggs said:
Sehen Sie bitte der "Gallery" in die "Soltice Foum". Lese die
ganze teile und vieleicht es wirt helfen.
Translation: Please look at the Gallery in the Solstice forum. Read the whole part and perhaps it will help.

HOLY CRAP, I can still understand german! :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cool! Geesh... is that what I said... I wanted to tell him... oh never mind...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I guess the translation for "Hutze" would literally mean "Scoops". But in the U.S., we call these "nacelles", or others have called them "fairings." Welcome to the boards Tobias.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! You were able to banish my two greatest fears:

1. The Opel GT will probably have the nacelles (2 "Hutzen").

2. I (6.16 feet) will probably fit into the car :)

I'm a bit confused by seeing so many people understanding german here. I should be very careful using german cusses ;-)

Now that I've the proper vocable for "Hutze" :), I can ask you my next question.

I've read that some of you have actually seen the roof operating. For me that's quite exciting because in the german press the car (Saturn Sky rebagded as Opel GT) was always open. The first pictures of the roof that I've seen are those of the Solstice. But if the nacelles are there on all kappa-based cars, then the roof-mechanism should be very similar to. To say the truth I expect it to be excactly the same for GM financial reasons. And if you've seen it operating, maybe you can answer the following question:

There is a flap at the passenger-end of the nacelle. Maybe they are on both sides, I don't know. The only thing I know is, that the flap is not the gas cap. Has it to do with the roof-mechanism (a hidden lever behind the flap) or is it maybe some kind of roll-over protection?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
t.henss said:
Hi all!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! You were able to banish my two greatest fears:

1. The Opel GT will probably have the nacelles (2 "Hutzen").

2. I (6.16 feet) will probably fit into the car :)

I'm a bit confused by seeing so many people understanding german here. I should be very careful using german cusses ;-)

Now that I've the proper vocable for "Hutze" :), I can ask you my next question.

I've read that some of you have actually seen the roof operating. For me that's quite exciting because in the german press the car (Saturn Sky rebagded as Opel GT) was always open. The first pictures of the roof that I've seen are those of the Solstice. But if the nacelles are there on all kappa-based cars, then the roof-mechanism should be very similar to. To say the truth I expect it to be excactly the same for GM financial reasons. And if you've seen it operating, maybe you can answer the following question:

There is a flap at the passenger-end of the nacelle. Maybe they are on both sides, I don't know. The only thing I know is, that the flap is not the gas cap. Has it to do with the roof-mechanism (a hidden lever behind the flap) or is it maybe some kind of roll-over protection?
Welcome. The flaps I think you are referring to are simply doors to allow the top hinge to swing up without crushing the "silver panel". These are supposed to be tied into the hinge mechanism and open up to allow the top to close.

There is also a lot of info in the "solstice in the news" section - last year, a couple of Solstices were driven in England, and even on Goodwood Race Track.

You'll find everyone here very helpful, again, welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Here's the inspiration for the "flight of the solstice"- nacelles

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
t.henss said:
Hi!

I'm quite large. 1.9 m. Let me calculate what this is in non-metric units... 74.86 inch or 6.16 feet (OH, what a pain!) .
So will I fit in the car?

Thank you and I think, I will post further questions later.

Tobias
I sat in the car last Saturday at a plant event in Wilmington, DE. I am 6.33 Feet and 225 pounds. It was a tight fit but I did fit. Read my other post to get more details.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
DelawareBuddy said:
I sat in the car last Saturday at a plant event in Wilmington, DE. I am 6.33 Feet and 225 pounds. It was a tight fit but I did fit. Read my other post to get more details.
1.929384 meters and 102kg.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts