Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting roadside observation of high "quality" the ride into work today.

I was in the right lane behind a fairly new VW beatle in the center lane. It was a super highway moving 60-70mph. The right headlight of the VW was hanging on the side of the car, wrapped around but still flashing it's beam on the ground :lol:

I assumed it must have a wrecked front-end and the light just got loose in the wind or something. When I moved up a little further I was surprised to see the front-end was in in perfect condition and the headlight must have just popped out of it's socket and was hanging by the wire swinging in the wind.

Now there's something people would not expect to see from a German car :willy:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I heard a story long time ago about a Mercedes that had a strange knocking sound that eluded all the techs. Finally they pulled the interior panel off the driver's door and tied to a string was a wrench and a note in German something to the effect "So you finally found me" Urban myth? Or true. Here's one that I personally observed. A longtime acquaintance in town took delivery of a brand new pickup truck. As they travelled down the road and got up to about 50 mph a tire blew out. This tire had a wrench through it, FROM THE INSIDE OUT. I saw it and wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I once had the job of trying to figure out a vibration in a car at a dealership. We ended up isolating it to one tire - almost 5 oz out of balance. We spun balanced the tire, then reinstalled it.

Seemed to clean it up, so brought it back. The Serv. Mgr called the customer and they went for a ride - the vibration was back, WORSE than ever (the Serv. Mgr claims the car was almost bouncing off the ground). The thing has less than 1500 miles on it.

We took the one tire that was the problem off and checked the balance - and it was about 5 1/2 oz out of balance - AGAIN!

Rebalanced it and reinstalled. I drove it with the other mechanic, and the car was fine - so we brought it back in. Just as an afterthought, I said "let's just go for a quick ride on the highway, just in case."

We left the dealership, stopped at the stoplight, then started to get onto the on-ramp, and all of a sudden the vibration came on like someone threw a switch - REALLY BAD.

We got it back to the shop, checked the balance again and it was 5 oz out of balance - but the funny thing was it was in a completely different spot. Broke down the wheel and tire, and found:

a soaking wet large GLOVE inside the tire.

I'm just happy that it wasn't an entire HAND! :).

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My tire story involved a farm tractor we bot that wobbled from side to side going down the road. They tore down the tire and found a tube inside that was way too large for the rim 28" instead of 24" , extra rubber had folded over and caused the imbalance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mceb said:
Interesting roadside observation of high "quality" the ride into work today.

I was in the right lane behind a fairly new VW beatle in the center lane. It was a super highway moving 60-70mph. The right headlight of the VW was hanging on the side of the car, wrapped around but still flashing it's beam on the ground :lol:

I assumed it must have a wrecked front-end and the light just got loose in the wind or something. When I moved up a little further I was surprised to see the front-end was in in perfect condition and the headlight must have just popped out of it's socket and was hanging by the wire swinging in the wind.

Now there's something people would not expect to see from a German car :willy:
I don't think it the quality of the car is the problem here. I have a 2001 New Beetle and have never had issues with the quality. I'm guessing that when the owners (or whoever) were changing headlight bulbs, they probably tried to force the headlight assembly back into the housing without lining everything up correctly. This can cause the release levers to break, which causes the headlight assembly to not not be able to lock into place and fall out. This occurance is very common with New Beetle owners who are unfamiliar with changing their headlights.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Drove the wife's Suburban last fall and found it running rough at idle. Asked her how long this had been going on and she replies since shortly after she got it back from the dealer for service a couple of months ago. She never got it looked at like I asked, until I took to my Pontiac dealer on one of the few days off I have. Turns out the Chevy dealer never seated the spark plug wires correctly before returning the Burb, or at least didn’t do a proper post-service check. I had to pay a diagnostic charge to get it checked out and will never use that dealer again.

I'll bet most of us have worked on cars enough to know you've got to be careful and thorough. And the average tech at a dealership may, or may not know what they're doing. I’ve known employees of my friend an ASE master mechanic who I wouldn’t trust to get a light bulb and a socket together right. This brings me to an interesting question. How easy will the Solstice be to repair and maintain?

:smash:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This occurance is very common with New Beetle owners who are unfamiliar with changing their headlights.
Make sense. I can see some girls boyfriend trying to explain his way out of how he broke her car.

Hate to say it but my story's 'bout a '79 Chevy Caprice. Bought it in '80 with 10,000 miles. Terrible squeak and rattle in the dash and intermittent electrical problem with several dash mounted doodads. Hit a bump and the radio'd quit and the dash lights would flicker. Found that instead of the five bolts that were designed to hold the dash in place, only one was installed in the center. Could only get to three but it fixed both the ground problem and the rattles. Sold it in '92 with over 250,000 miles, Wish I could say they were trouble free but unfortunately it had the notorious P-metric transmission and the fiber timing chain sprocket.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Solstick said:
This brings me to an interesting question. How easy will the Solstice be to repair and maintain?

:smash:
With the clamshell hood, it should be pretty easy to get to almost everything. Corvettes are pretty easy to work on for that reason (only under the hood tho. The rest of the car is a pain in the rear).

That's my guess, anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
2KWK4U said:
With the clamshell hood, it should be pretty easy to get to almost everything. Corvettes are pretty easy to work on for that reason (only under the hood tho. The rest of the car is a pain in the rear).

That's my guess, anyway.
One thing I can guarantee, you will have to be a contortionist to reach both the drain plug and oil filter. They are designed to only be accessed with the car 5' in the air, or from a pit. :( And nobody installs consumer replacable fuel filters anymore even though in my experience the fuel today is dirtier, AND some mfgs have known problems with their plastic fuel tanks degrading from the inside. So when you get that fuel rail cleaned its not carbon buildup but plastic powder buildup.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
achieftain said:
And nobody installs consumer replacable fuel filters anymore even though in my experience the fuel today is dirtier, AND some mfgs have known problems with their plastic fuel tanks degrading from the inside. So when you get that fuel rail cleaned its not carbon buildup but plastic powder buildup.
Second story about a new car. Dad bought me a new Ford van if I agreed to go to a local college. Tank was full of over spray paint particles. Went through 3 filters in the first 2 months then one about every other month for the next 6 or 8 months. Got to be real good at changing the fuel filter. Twice had to change it while on a date. Only way I can picture so much over spray was if it was intentional vandalism by a disgruntled employee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts