Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in at my dealership this week and got to talking about trading in my Sol #1306, still waiting to ship, on a 2007 Solstice GXP Supercharged/ Turbo or whatever it becomes. He said, well I can put you on the list now, I would be #20. He gets 6 cars this year and he didn't have a feel for production numbers or GXP availbility for next year. Bottom line is, you may want to get on a list and/or put a deposit down now if you are waiting for a GXP. BTW, he didn't take a deposit, he stopped doing that after #10.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
shabby said:
Can a dealer actually take a deposit for a car that hasnt even been announced yet? I mean sure there are some pictures out there, and we're hoping it comes out sometime next year but theres nothing official from gm yet.

:agree: The GXP, GT, GTP, has not yet been officially planned. The car is too hot in its current stage for them to focus on anything other than keeping up with the demand they already have.

I would speculate that they will not come out with the stronger version of the car until the demand for the current model subsides a bit. It would be bad news for the standard model if they came out with the GTP before the demand changed.

GM had the same problem with the 04 GTO. They started advertising the LS2 engine in the 05 model and sales plummeted on the LS1 model. I would most certainely have the same effect with the Solstice. Who would want the base model when they can get one with more power and dual exhaust?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer said that you may want to get in line now (I'm 20th) for a Solstice. When your turn rolls around, you can order whatever options including GXP/ GTP/ GT if they are offered. I was concerned that being 20th in line right now may put me at a 2008 model year. My point was that if you want the rumored higher performance 2007 Solstice, you may want to get on a list or put down a deposit now for a Solstice.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I have a feeling that as slow as they're making these things and as much demand they have for the REGULAR Solstice that they can't fullfil, there won't be a turbo any time soon. I think if ANYTHING, it'll be more like 2008 before they get to that. I just think that one MY after a release is too early to offer a HO version. Especially when they haven't even caught up with the production of the current model, which by that time they still won't have caught up!

·
5,600 Posts
dori-san said:
I have a feeling that as slow as they're making these things and as much demand they have for the REGULAR Solstice that they can't fullfil, there won't be a turbo any time soon.
I am confused by your logic.

I was lead to believe that the slow rate of current Solstice production comes from issues like fitment of the hydroformed body panels and getting the ragtops right. I am guessing they can assemble turbocharged motors and six-speed transmissions much faster than they can assemble and QC the bodies. So the motors won't be on the critical path and won't hold up introduction of the GXP in any way shape and form. So if you mean that production delays will occur with the GXP that delays it into 2008, I don't agree with that.

Someone posted that the GXP won't be offered in 2007 because high-demand for the base car doesn't require a hot engine at this time. I vehemently disagree! Need I remind all that this is a HALO vehicle. The sooner Pontiac is able to advertise 5 second 0-60 times, the more a Halo vehicle this car will be. Pontiac wants to sell "excitement" and "performance". They want to be compared with the S2000, not the Miata (which some people wrongly view as a woman's car, which is unfortunate). The sooner they can kill all the reviews saying the Sosltice is underpowered, they will.

This car is a rolling ad campaign. The GXP is a rolling ad suitable for half-time during the Superbowl.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The motorweek show this week had spy pictures of the GXP and stated late next year delivery (which might mean 2008 :) ).

·
Registered
42 Posts
why did my dealer tell me that i have to wait til the end of november to put my name on a list for an automatic since theres no number to assign an order to yet, if you can have your name taken for a turbo, which hasnt even been confirmed as existing yet? :confused:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Pace Car said:
I stopped in at my dealership this week and got to talking about trading in my Sol #1306, still waiting to ship, on a 2007 Solstice GXP Supercharged/ Turbo or whatever it becomes. He said, well I can put you on the list now, I would be #20. He gets 6 cars this year and he didn't have a feel for production numbers or GXP availbility for next year. Bottom line is, you may want to get on a list and/or put a deposit down now if you are waiting for a GXP. BTW, he didn't take a deposit, he stopped doing that after #10.
He has 20 preorders for the Turbo or the Solstice in general?

·
Registered
90 Posts
jimbo said:
I am confused by your logic...

Someone posted that the GXP won't be offered in 2007 because high-demand for the base car doesn't require a hot engine at this time. I vehemently disagree! Need I remind all that this is a HALO vehicle. The sooner Pontiac is able to advertise 5 second 0-60 times, the more a Halo vehicle this car will be. Pontiac wants to sell "excitement" and "performance". They want to be compared with the S2000, not the Miata (which some people wrongly view as a woman's car, which is unfortunate). The sooner they can kill all the reviews saying the Sosltice is underpowered, they will.

This car is a rolling ad campaign. The GXP is a rolling ad suitable for half-time during the Superbowl.
You don't need to look any further than this very forum to see the vitriol and invective that has been created by the very desirability of the Solstice in the first place. I think that's what the earlier poster was suggesting- that trying to squeeze in GXP production would create more of that same backlash- you make a great vehicle, but nobody can get their hands on one. I for one want a GXP YESTERDAY, but it would be bad for GM if they opened with their best card. GM and other auto makers often start with the lower-powered versions of new models, utilizing the market from the bottom-up. I can understand GM waiting to see if demand slows for the Solstice(which I think they may've "misunderestimated"-thanks G.W.), then pronouncing the release of the GXP based on that estimate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I'm going to go talk to one the local dealers this week and see if I can put my name on the list for the 2007 supercharged/turbocharged version.

Better safe then sorry.....

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Remo said:
You don't need to look any further than this very forum to see the vitriol and invective that has been created by the very desirability of the Solstice in the first place. I think that's what the earlier poster was suggesting- that trying to squeeze in GXP production would create more of that same backlash- you make a great vehicle, but nobody can get their hands on one. I for one want a GXP YESTERDAY, but it would be bad for GM if they opened with their best card. GM and other auto makers often start with the lower-powered versions of new models, utilizing the market from the bottom-up. I can understand GM waiting to see if demand slows for the Solstice(which I think they may've "misunderestimated"-thanks G.W.), then pronouncing the release of the GXP based on that estimate.
Remo got the point.

I think lots of people would be irritated, if they've ALREADY been waiting a few months for their car, when the turbo is announced. For one or both of two reasons; either they get irritated because now they wish they waited a couple months and could have gotten a jump on a turbo, or because of the potential of turbo orders being filled before theirs and they've been waiting longer.

Plus like Remo was saying, you don't wanna blow your whole load prematurely. (yes, a sex reference.. get over it. :jester: ) GM would be foolish to release a turbo now, because that would virtually squash the demand for the original. The ideal situation is to make as MUCH as you can off the first version, and then when sales start slumping release the HO version to draw sales back in.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The big rumors that have been floating around the internet seem to peg the announcement of the turbo Sol, turbo Sky at the 2006 NAIAS in january. Makes sense, as that is probably GM's biggest stage for new model intros, and they like to use it to show off their sportiest future offerings. Those rumors also indicate the car will be in production as a 2007 model year car, before the end of 2006. So in other words, smart money seems to be on a GXP Sol by 3rd to 4th quarter next year.

Also GM tends not to withhold the sportier version of a car just because demand is high for the base car. The car is hot now, but that can change overnight in the roadster market. They also cannot be sure Mazda won't have a base Sol crushing Mazdaspeed car ready by next year. So it would make no sense for them to sit on a car they are spending big money to develop, waiting until their design goes flat and is yesterdays news, or is upstaged by another company. The real shame is that the turbo isn't ready from the start.

Also keep in mind that when Sky production does start, it will add another 10,000 cars per calender year to soak up all this roadster demand.

·
2,574 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The big rumors that have been floating around the internet seem to peg the announcement of the turbo Sol, turbo Sky at the 2006 NAIAS in january. Makes sense, as that is probably GM's biggest stage for new model intros, and they like to use it to show off their sportiest future offerings. Those rumors also indicate the car will be in production as a 2007 model year car, before the end of 2006. So in other words, smart money seems to be on a GXP Sol by 3rd to 4th quarter next year.

Also GM tends not to withhold the sportier version of a car just because demand is high for the base car. The car is hot now, but that can change overnight in the roadster market. They also cannot be sure Mazda won't have a base Sol crushing Mazdaspeed car ready by next year. So it would make no sense for them to sit on a car they are spending big money to develop, waiting until their design goes flat and is yesterdays news, or is upstaged by another company. The real shame is that the turbo isn't ready from the start.

Also keep in mind that when Sky production does start, it will add another 10,000 cars per calender year to soak up all this roadster demand.

You are exactly correct double F. They also will not want to answer to why it would be available in the Sky and not the Sol. That plain ain't gonna happen. Announce in Jan followed by availability in both cars in later in 07. (with a written guarantee to Jimbo that he gets the first red one built! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

·
5,600 Posts
dori-san said:
GM would be foolish to release a turbo now, because that would virtually squash the demand for the original. The ideal situation is to make as MUCH as you can off the first version, and then when sales start slumping release the HO version to draw sales back in.
I don't agree with this. I see the GXP being not only a car with a higher profit margin, but one that does not appeal to the non-power-mongers out there. I think a lot of people, most in fact, are going to want the base car. It was not that long ago that 180 HP in a 3000 lb car was a lot of power! With increase purchase costs, maintenance costs and insurance costs, I think the enthusiasts like many here will want the GXP, buy your average person will take the base car and say "I am in love with the looks."

I just do not see the GXP stealing sales of the base car any more than the Z06 steals sales of the base Corvette. I would agree with you if the GXP was a $500 option, but I think we are talking about a good $4,000 to $5,000 more for the GXP. If that is the case, the 2 cars will appeal to very different buyers.

A lot of people are going to want this car at $24,000. How many are going to want it at $29,000. At $29,000 people looking at the Solstice will start to wonder if maybe they want a Honda S2000, a 350z, a Mustang GT or even a BMW Z4. I don't see the GXP stepping on the base car's toes at all. But then, I am wrong about a great many things...

·
5,600 Posts
F88 - I agree with what you wrote.

birdliver - Red is looking better and better all the time. It is all the red cars used in reviews and especially the photos of red cars posted here on this forum. All I need is to see those smoke-colored rear lens covers and shiny chrome luggage rack for the rear deck ala the XKSS!

Signed,

Trunkless In Seattle,

or in my case, Trunkless in San Francisco :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Jimbo, I don't see Pontiac tacking on as much as you suggest for the GXP. Look at prime example of G6 GTP version over base. $1655 difference. On teh F=Grand Prix they have eliminated GTP and replacement is simply GT, but the GXP (V8) is $2650 more than GT, and the GT is $3650 more than the fleet car base. With the Sol we are not jumping two levels in performance but just one. $2995 seems ballpark for the few changes to the car.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TOY4TWO said:
He has 20 preorders for the Turbo or the Solstice in general?
He has 20 orders for the Solstice. He has delivered two this year. My Solstice is 3rd and then he is getting 3 more 2006's early next year. That mean's he has 14 orders for the post 2006 model. He could't tell me if he would get 14 2007's or not. So, I am in line at 20th. When he gets the allotment, he will take the order. I'm sort of anal about this, I put down a $250 deposit with a signed order in March, 2004 for "The 1st" Solstice that my dealer recieved. As everyone knows, no one was guarenteed the 1st. As it turned out I got the 1st car after my dealers two 1st 1000 cars. I may or may not trade in for the GXP/GT/GTP. It depends on the Mods I do once I get my car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My predictions:

When Pontiac and Saturn both start cranking out roadsters by end of 2006, demand will start to be met and you will be able to visit a dealer and find one in the showrom for sale (perhaps at a mark-up, perhaps not).

Higher performance versions are a natural evolution for most cars, so I will bet you that such versions are in R&D as we speak.

The first generation Solstice (2005/2006) will be challenged with "new model bugs" which will help give the Sky manufacturing team a step up at the starting block. Both models will have some lingering issues which will be dealt with in subsequent "makeover" models (usually a few years into production) where a number of mechanical and esthetic changes are made at one time. That is the best time to roll out a higher performance version, when you can "kill multiple birds with one stone". (who came up with that saying? I would never kill a bird with a stone - a shotgun, maybe...)

Therefore, I predict (all my stock predictions have failed, so my track record is far from noteworthy..) that performance versions of the Solstice and Sky will appear as 2008 models, sometime in 2007.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
shabby said:
Can a dealer actually take a deposit for a car that hasnt even been announced yet? I mean sure there are some pictures out there, and we're hoping it comes out sometime next year but theres nothing official from gm yet.
They can but it gets a little confusing. I put down $500 for my regular Sol deposit 3 months before it was in system. Guess it amounts to just a deposit for a place in line not a real order or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts