Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Bob I been here from the start since the Solstice hit Detroit. Great ideas, nice lines and a price that just might do it. But as you know everything comes with a price.
Maybe that’s why you started the sky program. You asked your design team to come up with the solstice in 15 weeks to hit the floor of the show. Well, to them I say job well done. I fell in love with the sky style instantly. I own a 94 sc2 Saturn great car, boss on gas mileage. But then someone fell asleep at the wheel with the sky. The forums are a great feedback from the grassroot customers, and like your employees is the success of a company. The sky lacks trunk space, stretch the frame, balance the 50/50 ratio and lets see the design teem go back into the parts bin and grab one of the Opel engines like the one in the vxr220 I’m sure they would mind a little export here. And yes I will give you more than 15 weeks. After all my entire wait like others will be over 2 years. Lets see if we can meet a new challenge for a first year production. The new Saturn Sky Sport Edition. Yes it even comes with a roomy trunk that not filled with a gas tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with your view on the design concept.
I too think with a total length increase of about
6 inches or so, a real trunk could have been developed.
This so called trunk now is nothing more than a place
to store the top.
Speaking of the top, the designer of this top should find
another line of work. This joke will be nothing but trouble
in the very near future; the way it fits around the twin
raised buttresses and the asinine way the tabs are on the
trunk lid.
I liked the overall look of the Solstice and Sky, but more
thought of "user-friendly" items should have been a first
priority.
Again GM does it "almost right", to name a few:
Chevrolet Colorado - no V8 not even a V6 as an option
Chevrolet Camaro/Pontiac Firefird - too screwed up to fix,
so just quit making them
Oldsmobile - OK till it went frontwheel drive
I could go on, but this post would be too long.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Trunk space and the top operation have been constant complaints from many. All I can really say on them is that they are both essentially compromises to keep the design of the car as close as possible to the original concept. The production Solstice was already stretched a little to accomodate crash protection equipment, and a further stretch may have diluted the design, or made the proportions wrong and thereby ruining the good look. Also, having a short roadster is part of the idea for this car to make it more nimble and lighter.

The top is designed as it is to accomodate the double hump on the trunk lid, and to allow it to be completely hidden from view when it is down, without any tonneau cover. Yes it is a bit of a compromise, but as long as it is reasonably easy to stow and it remains water tight it should be ok.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

I agree that the looks are awesome and as long as it works and doesn't leak, they got it right. A bit larger trunk would have been a bonus though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Hello Bob?

I love the Solstice just the way you made it! :thumbs:
I agree..I love my motorcycle..it carries about the same capacity so space is not an issue being that it will be a fair weather car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts