Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site so I'm not sure if everyone already knows this but the Solstice is set to go into production on March 17th of 05 and should be in show rooms by mid to late May.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Excellent news !!! We have been hearing rumors...someone did post the tentative build dates a while back but regular production roll was mid May. Show rooms by May would be a dream.

Any idea if we'll be able to get in and sit in one at the up coming car shows or when GM plans to start the pre-order process?

Welcome to the forum :thumbs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a friend that works at the GM proving grounds in Milford Mich. I'm trying to get her to bring one home so I can ride in it. I'm not sure if the public will be able sit in one at the car show. As of Wednesday Dec 8th GM wasn't taking advanced orders but I'm on several unofficial waiting list at several different Pontiac dealerships around Michigan (I'd hate to pay too much)

·
5,600 Posts
Pardon my skepticism, but what is your source?

As recently as 2 weeks ago at the San Francisco International Auto Show, all of the Pontiac representatives told me the Solstice was a production car that would be introduced in 10 months, or September 2005. I can't find any announcement on the internet verifying your scoop.

At this point, I have to take your announcement with a grain of salt. I would love to see a Spring introduction for this roadster. It would be vastly preferrable to a pre-winter intro. But I am skeptical that Pontiac will be able to complete the tuning on this car to begin production in 3 months.

Is the 2.4 Ecotec even ready to go yet?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Saturn LS

This rumor might hold water - my understanding is that the Solstice will be built in DE where the Saturn LS was produced. It's early termination may bump the production of the Solstice. Besides, a May convertible launch is much better than late summer. It also means more lead time on the new Miata. If performance is better or similar to the MazdaSpeed, then the supercharged GT or GXP could answer the new Miata. Oh, and take this for what it's worth - my dealer mentioned a summer launch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A member named Rogobuck posted the following build dates on Nov 26th but said they were subject to change:

"MVB-Nonsalable - 21-Jan-05
MVB-Salable - 7-Feb-2005
SORP - 16-May-2005
The last one (SORP) is "Start Of Regular Production" and should be the date of concern to all of us who want the Solstice."

Is March 17th now the start of regular production? Rogobuck, do you have an update to your prior post?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Looking at rogobuck's prior post there was a pretty long gap between the non-salable build of Feb-7 and the start of reg production. One would think the non-salable build would be short? It's possible the gap was a buffer for last minute fixes and now they feel it's ready for March go. Speculation I know.

jimbo, the Pontiac reps are just giving the official party line at those shows. We have had a few insiders or friends of insiders posting about earlier starts.

Hopefully GM will make this all offcial soon for Jan car shows.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm all for an earlier start of production as long as the plant feels that they have the quality control in place. If there is any doubt, I'd rather that they wait till they have all the assembly line kinks worked out. Particularly the paint as mentioned in a few other posts. The curves on this car would seem to make the painting process fairly complex, even for a robotically controlled sprayer if that's what they use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jimbo-

I'm very confident in the production date of March 17th. That date came from someone involved with the production (engineering ) of the car. I was just as surprised as all of you seem to be. I had been hearing dates of late 05. I reached out to one of my friends just in case because I had started researching the BMW Z4 but I'd rather buy American.

·
Registered
31 Posts
production details

Would you be able to ask your friend at GM to clarify some of our speculations about the car? Where are the cup-holders?, etc. Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
A much earlier release date would be great, however for me at the same time kinda sucks. I was hoping for it to be a little later,, like June or later to give me some more time to save for a down payment. Because if the Solstice is what I decide to go with once Sky information is released I wanted to pre-order and have my Solstice specifically designed for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
special design

brentil said:
A much earlier release date would be great, however for me at the same time kinda sucks. I was hoping for it to be a little later,, like June or later to give me some more time to save for a down payment. Because if the Solstice is what I decide to go with once Sky information is released I wanted to pre-order and have my Solstice specifically designed for me.
So if you pre-order a solstice you are able to have the car specially designed for you? Could you elaborate on that please? Thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
brentil said:
I wanted to pre-order and have my Solstice specifically designed for me.
I guess you mean you can have optioned out the way you want it? The base car will be the same for everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
give me some questions and I'll see if I can get them answered but it probably wont be until Tuesday.

Brentil-
Here are several ways to save for a downpayment:

Tax Refund

2nd Job

Become a Gigolo

·
Registered
31 Posts
some questions

wearssuspenders said:
give me some questions and I'll see if I can get them answered but it probably wont be until Tuesday.
Thanks man! Would you be able to find out where the cup holders are, whether there will be an option for fabric (non-leather) seating, and whether there will be power windows? Thanks a lot man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
daddyking said:
Thanks man! Would you be able to find out where the cup holders are, whether there will be an option for fabric (non-leather) seating, and whether there will be power windows? Thanks a lot man!
I'm on the case like Sherlock Holmes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts