Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I found a well known aftermarket provider that is in my back yard. I had no clue they were this close! They are advertising up to 3 hours of dyno time/tune for $200. They are also only 2 hours from my house!! It's ZZPerformance in Grand Rapids! I've finally solved my tuning issue (I hope)!! I would rather someone experienced do it then me doing it with hptuners or a canned tune from Trifecta.... Any comments? Has anyone had a dyno tune by them?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Many forum members have had problems with them. I would asked them for a conservative tune!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Esp. getting a cold weather tune on a turbo car. You'll want conservative.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmm.....maybe they're the ones then that tuned my car originally..... I can't even go into boost until it hits 160 degrees or more... It sputters and misses and idles horribly. I will see what they can do....and report back. I'm planning on conservative as the car has 60k on it and I the last thing I need to do is blow it up. What problems has everyone had?

·
Registered
330 Posts
ZZP is generally pretty good, i have their DP and did notice their Black Friday deal had a good dyno tune option. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
If you aren't changing any hardware like the turbo, it is pretty hard to beat the basic Trifecta tune for the money. Never any problems - I ran their basic tune for awhile.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you aren't changing any hardware like the turbo, it is pretty hard to beat the basic Trifecta tune for the money. Never any problems - I ran their basic tune for awhile.
I ran the budget tune for a year, def a improvement over stock, never knew what i was missing until Term2 started tuning my car.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t know if you’ve both heard me complain about my current tune….. But during cold start, it’s downright dangerous. I can’t get into boost at all or the car literally quits accelerating. It does this until about 150-160 degrees. When I pull out into traffic, I have to make sure that I have a big enough space. I don’t drive it all winter, but I do drive it on nicer days or when I absolutely have too. (I’m fortunate enough to work with my brother and he lives right around the corner from me). It spits and sputters really bad at idle till about 150-160 degrees too. I have also been told that I have a REALLY mild current tune. It’s not the original, but it’s very mild. It appears that the PO maybe started working on a tune and then sold the car…..or he might have tried tuning for gas mileage. To give an example, I get 35-37mpg at 55-75mph….I get 42-45mpg at 80+…. Kind of odd. I’ve watched the mpg on the DIC and the torque app and both are fairly close. And I realize that a canned tune from Trifecta will work….but I figured for the same price, I’d like to have some dyno numbers…and more of a customized tune. I was hoping our current vendors were going to run better sales then what they did this year on Black Friday. I would have went with the Trifecta tune in a heartbeat… (DDM ran a 15% off sale 4-5 weeks ago and I should have bought it then…..but was an idiot!) So instead I went with ZZP. I’m hoping some of the bad things I’ve heard about them aren’t true. I don’t want an aggressive tune…..I don’t want anything over the 25psi 2.5BAR MAP sensors……But I’ve heard they like to tune for 30psi which will throw a CEL without the 3BAR sensors….. And I don’t want to push my turbo that hard….at least not yet…LOL….

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Good luck ghost, I hope it works out well for you. let me know if you change your mind and end up needing the cable.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Sounds like you have a dud tune in there. Too bad you didn't opt for the basic Trifecta - never any problems like you are having and never any broken bits.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Congrats !

i'm closing in on the trifecta, may not get it done until Christmas; but i'm sold enough on it from these forums.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had a ZZP dyno tune for a while (about a year) and it was fine. Just tell them you don't want anything aggressive, a nice conservative tune, etc. They will not give you a 30 psi tune :lol: if anything I doubt they would give you a tune above 24 psi unless you really really wanted it.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Already a little irratated with ZZP. I called yesterday morning to setup an appointment and left a message like the answering machine said....and still no call back. I realize we're going into the holidays...and they maybe closed, but put that on your answering machine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, ZZP makes really good products, but sometimes the service is hit or miss. I am waiting for a reply to a email i sent 2 weeks ago. Matt responded immediately, and now I'm waiting on Ryan...and waiting...and waiting...

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So my only free-time that I can drive to Grand Rapids to do my dyno tune with ZZP is between now and January 4th. Of course they can't get me in until January 5th. The only time I had access to a trailer was then as well. I really want to have someone "trailer" me there should something break. So, I'm out of town after the 5th until who knows when.... :( My company is very busy and I'm 1 of 2 of us that installs and trains our product... So, I'm hoping maybe this is an oman to get my turbo and IC before I have it done!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My tune date with ZZP is fast approaching.... I have a question for those that have knowledge.... Do I stick with the OEM MAP sensors or buy the Stage 1 GM sensors that are good to 30psi? Is it going to matter performance wise? I have the stock turbo, IC, but have DDM piping, exhaust and CAI. Just trying to be prepared for this. I obviously want them to dyno my car in its current form, then do it again after their tune so I can see the difference. How long does it take to change the sensors? Can it be done while I have the car on the dyno?

·
Registered
150 Posts
First of all the stock sensors are 2.5 bar. 2.5 bar absolute is ~36.26 psi, now subtract 14.7 psi for 1 atmosphere and you are left with the ability to read and control boost up to ~21.56 psi.

3 Bar MAPs following the same example would be ~43.51 psi, subtract 1 ATM and you can measure and control to 28.81 psi boost.

While you can certainly boost over the 21.56 psi fooling the ECU with the stock sensors, it runs out of the control area, in other words, you are just telling it to shoot for the moon with no means of really controlling it.
You need the 3 bar MAPs.

This is from the HPT forum here INFO: 3 bar MAPs on Stock LNF base file

Its just 4 screws and pluging in the sensor is all it takes to install them. You could do it in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
My tune date with ZZP is fast approaching.... I have a question for those that have knowledge.... Do I stick with the OEM MAP sensors or buy the Stage 1 GM sensors that are good to 30psi? Is it going to matter performance wise? I have the stock turbo, IC, but have DDM piping, exhaust and CAI. Just trying to be prepared for this. I obviously want them to dyno my car in its current form, then do it again after their tune so I can see the difference. How long does it take to change the sensors? Can it be done while I have the car on the dyno?
Why in God's name are you asking that question here?

Ask the people that are going to tune it!

No idea why people ask specific technical questions of anyone but the presumed experts they are trusting their cars to. They just get back a wide range of opinions, many downright useless, ranging to some informed, and they usually don't have the ability to choose between them.

Want surgery? Don't ask the internet for advice, ask the surgeon. Want a tune on your car? Why ask the public at large? Ask the guys that are supposed to know what they are doing (if they don't then you blew it by choosing them in the first place!)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why in God's name are you asking that question here?

Ask the people that are going to tune it!

No idea why people ask specific technical questions of anyone but the presumed experts they are trusting their cars to. They just get back a wide range of opinions, many downright useless, ranging to some informed, and they usually don't have the ability to choose between them.

Want surgery? Don't ask the internet for advice, ask the surgeon. Want a tune on your car? Why ask the public at large? Ask the guys that are supposed to know what they are doing (if they don't then you blew it by choosing them in the first place!)
Did you have bad Wheaties this morning????? :lol: I understand...but I wouldn't be asking that question here if Kyle of ZZP would have answered it the 4 previous times I've asked him. He ignores that question everytime I ask him and skirts around it. Thus the reason I have posted it here....

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
If the guy you are entrusting your car to ignores your questions, what does that tell you? Maybe time to revisit your decision?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts