Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since I bought my solstice I've dreamed of modding it, but there was always another project, well with my '86 mustang on hold due to lack of time and severe money, I've decided to put the project on hold and some money into my solstice. I'm looking into the werks stage I turbo kit and the hahn stage III, but I'm leaning toward the werks. Starting out on a long path of research while saving my pennies. anyway, the point is, I'm gonna get back into skulking around the forum again and appreciate the vast information and advice from its members. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Just finished my supercharger. Love it! Haven't had a person in the car who hasn't loved it too. Not to mention that my MPG has gone from 23 avg city to over 28; 32 highway! Totally worth it!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about going the supercharger route, which would especially be better for auto x, but am leaning towards turbo for a couple of reasons. 1. I want to be able to upgrade fairly easy down the line to something more powerful if i choose to do so. 2. The supercharger it I would really want, which would be stage III is a little outta my price ranger especially after I get a clutch and put it in, the werks rtr come with a clutch and a larger radiator. 3. As stated previously I have an 86 mustang that I do plan on putting a 2.1L kenne belle on someday, and I kinda miss the feel of a turbo car as it builds boost. I

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about going the supercharger route, which would especially be better for auto x, but am leaning towards turbo for a couple of reasons. 1. I want to be able to upgrade fairly easy down the line to something more powerful if i choose to do so. 2. The supercharger it I would really want, which would be stage III is a little outta my price ranger especially after I get a clutch and put it in, the werks rtr come with a clutch and a larger radiator. 3. As stated previously I have an 86 mustang that I do plan on putting a 2.1L kenne belle on someday, and I kinda miss the feel of a turbo car as it builds boost. I hear great things about ddm and that their service is absolutely top notch though, I wish they sold turbo kits

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I emailed ddm today, thanks for the tip, and no I didn't, but I'm checking it out now

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
DDMStageII is probably the best bang for the buck, becuase you don't have to do all the other upgrades, and then when you are ready, you have most of what you need to go to StageIII so the cost is not quite so high. Well at least it is split into two sections :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These turbo kits are a bit out of my price range for now (I wish someone offered financing as I have great credit, just no upfront cash), the cheapest being the hahn one. I really wanted a straight up kit, but I'm considering putting my own together for the cost using a lot of stock gxp parts. I emailed dave from ddm and he mentioned using a stock gxp turbo and manifold as something he wanted to experiment with, but I swore it was said that couldnt be done somewhere on this forum

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Roll your own :) There is a lot of documentation out there on adding forced induction to the ecotec platform since they're all very similar.

I'd never done this before I started but read quite a bit and watched people basically slap junk-yarded turbos on air-cooleds growing up.

It's pretty simple:
*Saab 2003+ manifold bolts up to our head, includes a TD04 flange.
*Use a turbo with an internal wastegate and you're almost done.
*I picked up a GXP intercooler because I was being cheap ($50 w/pipes)
*Had DDM fab a 'cold-side' pipe since the GXP's intake is in a different location.
*DDM supplied 60+ injectors
*Werks supplied all the fittings and hoses
*local shops can fabricate a quality downpipe pretty cheaply.
*Picked up a used copy of HP Tuners off the cobalt forum and had a local shop tune for boost

Keep your tune mild and you'll have little to worry about. Monitor Air/Fuel and you can always add more insurance later like meth or lower-compression/stronger pistons/rings.

*Ask questions.*

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the infor idkfa, I think I'll probably spend quite a bit of time researching and see what I can find out

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm really gonna try to make the LNF set up work, I guess I have ym work cut out for me

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yeah, that saab manifold you posted wasn't correct (I think they might have switched over mid-year), the 2003+ is a three-bolt flange. There are definitely some pros and cons of that route. It's a semi-uncommon flange and while the factory cast manifold could last you the life of the car compared to thinner tubular manifolds, you're also limited to internally gated turbos which could limit power in the upper echelons. I have an adapter plate to run my gt2871r which should be good for a really fun ride.

The biggest issues with the LE5 is going to be heat. It's already fairly-high compression so it needs to be accounted for before turning the boost up high.

I'm really gonna try to make the LNF set up work, I guess I have ym work cut out for me
IIRC they ran into clearance issues trying to fit the LNF manifold but I could be wrong.

edit: Also, if you weren't aware, GM released a pretty substantial blue-print of the ecotec documenting what you need to look out for at various power levels.
http://gmtunersource.com/racertech/ecotec-build-book It's a pretty neat resource.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think there are issues with a coolant hose. I have an email out to dave off ddm wondering how to get it to work. He said they have been toying with theidea of trying this set up

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it looks like a heater hose (runs under the current manifold besides the engine) it was dark when I looked so I'm not really sur, I'll look better tomorrow

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
really? I've never heard of that, it may be something i have to look into to, thanks for the tip

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Hey man, I'm curious (because I started this process in the exact same boat) of their reasoning behind suggesting the LNF manifold with the clearance issues over the Saab mani. Was it just the flange choice? I do agree that a factory turbo manifold is a great solution for small-moderate upgrades just because of their strength.

I run an adapter plate on mine so it's not as limited.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts