Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that it always happens, you get a slick new car/truck and take care to park it in the grocery store parking lot away from where most of the other cars are parked so that no one will pull up in a space next to you and open their door and hit your car. But eventually someone parks next to your gorgeous Solstice anyway and does the deed ... and so how do you deal with the situation? And what if it's a sweet old lady, do you handle it any differently? After all, it's "only a little dent."

·
Registered
281 Posts
aggravating and frustrating, but really nothing to go ballistic over. if you want your car to be show-perfect, you gotta treat it that way. me, im gonna want to drive the car, not just wax it and stare at it. rock chips are gonna be a mother on this car, i cant wait til theres an X-Pel kit for it. :smile

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I have to agree dents are a fact of life it seems, even if you park five miles from everything. I would think maybe a bra for the front end, but why cover up such a beauty.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Just visited the X pel site interesting product

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I always wait until I get a few, then take it to a paintless dent repair guy (AKA "dent wizard"). Way cheaper than a body shop, and since there's no painting involved, there's no paint to match. I've had some pretty good sized dings taken out of cars by these guys, and even though they say they can still see the damage, most people cannot.

My black GTP got nailed by a golf ball that left a nasty one right on the rear deck lid, probably about 1/4" deep with a 1.5" diameter. The wizard worked his magic and brought it nearly back to new... charged me 75 bucks for it and I was on my way!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I always wait until I get a few, then take it to a paintless dent repair guy (AKA "dent wizard"). Way cheaper than a body shop, and since there's no painting involved, there's no paint to match. I've had some pretty good sized dings taken out of cars by these guys, and even though they say they can still see the damage, most people cannot.

My black GTP got nailed by a golf ball that left a nasty one right on the rear deck lid, probably about 1/4" deep with a 1.5" diameter. The wizard worked his magic and brought it nearly back to new... charged me 75 bucks for it and I was on my way!
:thumbs Those guys are like magic! They say they can see it because they are trying to go for perfection. But at 10 feet away, nobody will ever know a dent was on the car unless you point it out.

I would recommend against getting a front end bra for the car unless you only use it occasionally, such as on road trips. Those things if left on or used all the time will do more damage to the paint than getting a few stone chips will.

3M now makes a clear plastic film that fits over the front end of vehicles. Its nearly invisible unless you see the line where it ends, and it does a good job at protecting the finish from stones. It also won't let the abrasives like dirt, debris, dust, water, etc underneath it like a canvas car bra that will damage or discolor the paint. I am sure one will be available for the Solstice.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
People think I'm crazy, but all my new cars, just as soon as I get them, I take the key and scratch the door just under the door handle.

Then, now matter how many dents I get later, I know I put the first one in it - otherwise you go crazy trying to keep the car perfect... :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
People think I'm crazy, but all my new cars, just as soon as I get them, I take the key and scratch the door just under the door handle.

Then, now matter how many dents I get later, I know I put the first one in it - otherwise you go crazy trying to keep the car perfect... :lol
I could never do that! Your a brave soul! I would kill myself before inflicting pain on a brand new vehicle! :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Think I posted this before, but have a friend who races.

We spent a lot of time building a front air dam which (no sh*t) was worth about 1 second a lap on a 95 second track here in Michigan.

That doesn't seem like much, but after a 15 lap race, you're 15 seconds ahead - that means the difference between winning and getting your a** handed to you...

but, I digress. We spent about 4 hours each with plastic and a torch and some sheet metal making these air dams before a race weekend - usually we would make two.

Inevitably, either during qualifying, or during the first race, he'd be pushing it into a corner and *BAM* off the course and the first thing to hit the apex curb was - wouldn'tcha know it - the air dam, with wasn't worth a damn afterward.

After doing this several race weekends in a row, we would collect some of the broken parts, piece them together into a third air dam and bring it with us.

When prepping the car, we'd put the cobbled air dam down and make the driver run over it BEFORE THE FIRST PRACTICE AND QUALIFYING SESSION. :lol

Just to get it over with. That's my theory - 'cause if you're going to drive your Solstice, guess what: it gets dirty and scratched and begins to get 'character'. It may even get stolen and recovered. BUT I WAS THE ONE WHO MADE THE FIRST MARK/DENT...:glol The second, third, fifth and so on are much less painless when you KNOW your car ain't perfect - but damn it all you a least are enjoying it.

JMHO, but cars are not investments - so I just shake my head with those folks (no offense intended - this is just NOT my style) that buy their car and pack them away and keep them perfect and never ever ENJOY them.

Like the guy who wants $13,350 for that perfect 1988 Fiero GT with 8900 miles - collector's car!!! But in 1988 it was bought for somewhere around $12,500? That's less return than a bank account, not counting the storage insurance and garage space the thing took up...

Oh, well. My story turned into a rant and for that I apologize.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Good story! Its a good thing your pal wasn't putting a car hard into the wall every race weekend! It might have gotten expensive if he had to ram the wall during practice every weekend!! :lol

I definately wouldn't consider storing a car away for future investment. Those people who kept Fiero GT's hoping they will appreciate in value are getting soaked. A Fiero GT cost more than that in 88. My Formula was about $13.5, and it had few options. I bet a loaded GT was $17K-$18K or so. Even if they broke even on the transaction and could sell it now for the mid teens, they would have had to store and take care of it for the last 17 years which cost money. Plus you have to take into accound what that $17K they spent in 1988 would be worth today, probably $25K at least. So if they spent $17K in 1988, stored it for 17 years, changed fluids occasionally or whatever, and now sold it for $17K, they still lost $8K plus on the deal simply because of inflation.

You need an ultra rare car for it to appreciate, something build in extremely low quantities. Even 88 Fiero GT's were built by the thousands. Way too many for them to skyrocket in value. The same will go for the Solstice. Still, I am not going to do the first damage! :cool

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Good story! Its a good thing your pal wasn't putting a car hard into the wall every race weekend! It might have gotten expensive if he had to ram the wall during practice every weekend!! :lol ...
Oh, he and I did enough of that for the both of us... Man it gets expensive!
Fformula88 said:
...Still, I am not going to do the first damage! :cool...
The way I see it: better me than some bozo with his shopping cart full of government cheese ramming into it first (no offense to those of you on government cheese).

I'm funny that way :thumbs

·
Registered
151 Posts
hate to say it, but thats why i love saturn, can't go wrong with the dent resistant side panels...

too bad they are more than likely getting rid of the polymer panels though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey James (and all!) This very thing happened to my wife's car about 2 weeks after we got it. We went to a concert and when we returned the person who parked next to us had opened their door right into the passenger side. ARRGH!

As the others say here, nuthin you can do... just one of those things. :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I don't think it's a secret, but I just don't like plastic panels. You can see some of my other comments on other threads.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Fiero, but somehow Saturns just don't "feel" right to me. I can't wait to try and drive a new Cobalt back-to-back with the "improved" ION, that should be very telling...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I tend to like the plastic panels on cars myself, but some of the Saturns leave me wanting more. They don't give me the impression that they have been made or attached to the car as precisely as they are on my Fiero. I like the idea of them, but Saturn's execution leaves me wanting more.

That said, I have been developing a rather large soft spot for the Ion Redline. I've always liked the idea of the S/C ecotec it has, and its appearance has been growing on me lately. Its too bad they decided not to move the IP back to the drivers side. Although its easy to get used to it in the middle, the odd appearance of it turns buyers off before they even sit in the car. Their mind is made up before giving it a chance.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Maybe the idea is to drive the solstice when your not going to park anywhere. Then if you have to park drive an old beater.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts