Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gilmore Car Museum is having it's annual dust-off show May 11th. Admission is $5.00 per person if you bring your "ride" to display. Not a contest so no awards or trophies.

events_details

If you've never been to the Gilmore, it's a very impressive collection of automotive history with some very incredible vehicles there. I live very close to the museum and would be glad to organize a spot to meet if a group of Kappas would be interested in going. My wife and I will likely attend anyway. I thought it might be fun if we had a group show up.

Let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds interesting, I'll will mark it on my calendar. Been there a few years back, with the MKC group.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Sounds good. Post it on the MKC site and let's make it an event. I'm thinking my spring cruise will be the next week. Will have that posted next week

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope you can make it, D-Rod.

Mike - it's on the MKC site. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta tell ya, Chop, I was blown away by it. I had lived about 5 minutes from the museum for about 7 years before I visited. Amazing collection of vehicles. Most of them are in actual barns that the founder bought and had moved to the property. It's very unique in that you're looking at these classic/vintage vehicles not inside a pristine building. It's hard to describe, but it seems more "natural" to view them there.

They have continued to grow, but back when I visited the "Steam Barn" was called barn number 5. (You can check it out on their website.) A handful of cars in there and displays discussing earlier "alternative fuel" vehicles. Then we walked through the door at the rear of the barn into another section with displays of early motoring, equipment, accessories, etc. In the back of that building there's a section dedicated to cars built in West Michigan (Kalamazoo, etc.) Then you wander through the next door and there is another building with muscle cars, NASCAR, racing, etc. And there's STILL another door leading to another building that houses a collection of Franklin vehicles! (And this is just one section of the entire museum!)

This is all set out in the middle of acres of open space. No fences. No visible security. I remember looking at my father in law and saying "You don't see any security, but I bet if you were to walk on these grounds in the middle of the night you wouldn't get very damn far."

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I've put it on my calendar and if the weather cooperates plan to attend. It would be nice to have a nice Kappa showing. This event and then following week will be the MKC Spring Cruise. Great! Kappa weather is finally arriving.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll bump it up with a bit of a run if that interest's y'all. There are some twistys and
some hills in the area. If there's enough interest I'll set up a little cruise early, a half day at the museum and an optional cook out at the chicken coop!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Chicken: You adding a cruise to this event sounds good although I have a prior commitment and will probably just come in the afternoon to Gilmore. Can't miss Granddaughters dance recital! Hopefully the weather is nice. I'm not seeing a lot of response one this site!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'll keep pushing the issue. I'll entice others with some pics. Like this Mercer:

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love this one - a Mercedes that was buried beneath the owner's garage in Germany because he was afraid the Nazi's would come and take it. He dug out under the garage, buried the car and planted a flower garden in front of it to disguise it. I believe it was discovered in the 60's.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi sorry we cant make it. We were there last year at a Rat rod show. My brother inlaw and Sister inlaw live itn Hastings. He has a C-6 Coupe. Our cars were too new to let us in, But after the show at 5:00pm the guard let us in to take some photos in front of the old Shell station. Definitly a impressive place. Also a MKC member.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Plan to make it....there are some good roads E. of Hickory Corners that I used a few yrs. ago with my "run through Hell" event in late summer.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Hi sorry we cant make it. We were there last year at a Rat rod show. My brother inlaw and Sister inlaw live itn Hastings. He has a C-6 Coupe. Our cars were too new to let us in, But after the show at 5:00pm the guard let us in to take some photos in front of the old Shell station. Definitly a impressive place. Also a MKC member.
Your post got me wondering if there was a year cut-off date for this year dust off event. So called and was told no, so it must be dependent on the event or who's hosting. BTW, will Kappa folks attempt to park together?

It's the start of summer and time to get your Antique, Classic, Muscle Car, Hot Rod, Racer - Trailer Queen, Show Car,Motorcycle or Project Car out of the garage, fire it up and dust it off!

Head to the Gilmore Car Museum
DUST OFF.

SUMMER IS HERE and it's time
to enjoy our toys!

This season opening event is only $ 5.00 per person if you show your antique, classic, hot rod, rat rod, muscle car, project car, racer, low rider, vintage truck...

you get the picture!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, Chop. The dust-off is "come one come all". As it is not an official "show" with trophies, there is no restrictions.

In the next week I'll set up a meeting point so we can all arrive together and, presumably, park together.

Just want to get a final count and see where everyone is driving from to see what makes the most sense.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts