Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a free B for you all. This is what most most professional detailers use to clean glass and windows. You won't need Windex, Sparkle, Bleach, Annomia, newspapers, vinger or anything else. Take a 32oz spray bottle, buy some DeNatured Alcohol (at any paint store or hardware store) put 3-4 oz of the Denatured Alcohol in the bottle, fill reminder with distilled water. YOu now have the most effective most economical glass cleaner around. Don't forget to use Micro fiber when cleaning glass. I have found that the 2 towel method is best on glass. The first pass picks most of the debris, and the second cleans it up. For years I could not figure this out. My windows looked great inside the shop then outside in the sun looked like hell. Now they are streak free!!!!!!!!! Gary :yesnod:

·
2,574 Posts
Gary, Can you expand on the heavy duty clearcoat you mentioned a couple of days ago. Do you recommend it over the 3M film and what's it called and is it expensive? ( for example:) how much to shoot the front facia?) Thanks ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
turbomangt said:
Here is a free B for you all. This is what most most professional detailers use to clean glass and windows. You won't need Windex, Sparkle, Bleach, Annomia, newspapers, vinger or anything else. Take a 32oz spray bottle, buy some DeNatured Alcohol (at any paint store or hardware store) put 3-4 oz of the Denatured Alcohol in the bottle, fill reminder with distilled water. YOu now have the most effective most economical glass cleaner around. Don't forget to use Micro fiber when cleaning glass. I have found that the 2 towel method is best on glass. The first pass picks most of the debris, and the second cleans it up. For years I could not figure this out. My windows looked great inside the shop then outside in the sun looked like hell. Now they are streak free!!!!!!!!! Gary :yesnod:
I love reading your posts. You're very helpful. Do you have a web site?

·
Registered
51 Posts
try to get denatured with isopropyl. Methanol is not something u want on ya or in ya. Does bad stuff to your body.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thank you, turbomangt. I most definitely will be giving that a try! :yesnod:
I have tried a lot of products and concoctions to clean glass but nothing ever seemed to work more than once... Like you said, looks good in the garage but don't take it out into the bright sunlight. :willy:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
turbomangt said:
Best stuff is Invisable Glass around 7.00 at walmart or auto stores.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You can buy a glass cleaner that GM uses, at your dealer, and it does an excellent job on your windows.

·
Registered
64 Posts
turbomangt said:

Turbomangt, thanks for the tip. Can you provide any advise on the best way to clean the ragtop on the Solstice and keep it lint/dust free?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a corvette in my shop last week, and the rag top was a mess. After washing it with car wash soap and added a little all purpose cleaner in the bucket and used a brissle scrub brush *(carefully ) then rised, the top came out like new. For the most part if you wash it regularly it should be fine. You can spray scotch guard fabric protector on it to protect it as well. Gary

·
Registered
542 Posts
birdliver said:
Gary, Can you expand on the heavy duty clearcoat you mentioned a couple of days ago. Do you recommend it over the 3M film and what's it called and is it expensive? ( for example:) how much to shoot the front facia?) Thanks ;)

Gary,

I too want you to expand on the heavy duty clearcoat subject. I had this done to my car and want to know the best way to maintain it and get that Zaino like shine!

·
Registered
535 Posts
deluke said:
Best stuff is Invisable Glass around 7.00 at walmart or auto stores.
:agree:

Awesome stuff if you use one piece of Bounty to clean and a second piece to dry (buff). I did have an almost identical product prior by Zep that seemed to be better yet, but it was probably the same stuff made by the same manufacturer with a different label.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have found out recently that if you take a micro-fiber towel and wet it with hot water,ring it out real good then wipe your windows down,after wiping them down take a clean micro-fiber towel and dry your windows this works GREAT!!!!! My wife has even done this to our house windows,mirrors ect. NO STREAKS AT ALL!!!!!

·
5,641 Posts
Here is a GM procedure for a specific glass cleaning situation:

Owners of some new vehicles may comment about a film or haze on inside window surfaces when the vehicle is delivered. This film results from a manufacturing process, and is most visible when headlights or sunlight shine directly through the glass. Because the film attracts moisture from the air, it can contribute to reduced visibility under humid conditions.

To ensure high customer satisfaction with the new vehicle, the windows should be properly cleaned during the final Pre-Delivery Inspection, just before customer delivery.

TIP: The following procedure should be used on all cars and trucks.

Step 1. Spray the entire inside glass surface of one window with water. Because the oily film is water-soluble, it should be removed when the glass is thoroughly wet. For this reason, do only one window at a time. You don’t want the glass to dry until you wipe it.

TIP: Use regular water only. Avoid any type of chemical cleaner. Use a clean, empty spray bottle, which can be purchased at home supply stores.

Step 2. Use dry paper towels to wipe the window. To do this, fold a sheet of paper towel in half, and wrap it around a dry sponge.

TIP: Use a paper towel only. Avoid any type of cloth.

TIP: Use a sponge about 3 x 5 inches (76 x 125 mm). It should be about the size of your hand. If it’s too large, the edges of the towel won’t wipe well. If it’s too small, your fingers may touch the glass.

The sponge will apply uniform pressure on the glass and by following its curvature will reduce finger-created streaking.

Step 3. Wipe/dry the glass surface in a uniform, linear, length-wise fashion, one swipe at a time. Avoid circular swipes. The idea is to lift the oily film into the paper towel without spreading it around by multiple swipes.

IMPORTANT: Discard each sheet of paper towel after one swipe.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geez, we are talking about cleaning windows here not about breaking the atom. It doesn't have to be that complicated. In my detailing classes that I teach, I have found that most people are clueless when it comes to the basic applications and techniques involved in detailing. Here are some examples of what I hear in class. People still use dish washing soap to clean their car> One guy removes his wax with a shop towel and wonders why his finish is scratched. Another person used steel wool to remove bugs on his car. finally the best I heard was about a person that never uses soap to wash his car, just plain water.
Answers> dish soap will strip all the wax from your car, leaving it unprotected
shop rags are abrasive and will damage your finish
steel wool on your paint? uh, you can figure out that one
If you don't use soap when washing the dirt will act like sandpaper on your finish, its the surfactants in soap that break down dirt. Gary

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Gary, what about the Mr. Clean Auto Dry?

What are your opinions on that and how well it works?
Is it bad for the the wax? Does it REALLY require NO drying?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
dori-san said:
Gary, what about the Mr. Clean Auto Dry?

What are your opinions on that and how well it works?
Is it bad for the the wax? Does it REALLY require NO drying?
We use it on our Monte Carlo,( It's black) and it works great for a quick wash. They filter the rinse water and you don't need any drying by hand, and no water marks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I have heard good things about the Mr Clean system, if you have hard water, you will benefit from it. The filters can add up though. CLEANING GLASS WITH NEWSPAPERS!!!!! I thought that went out 50 years ago? don't you get shreads of paper stuck inbetween your glass and trim? how about the ink? The latest techolnogy is Micro Fiber, the softest most absorbant cloth on the market. PM me and I will get you a technical data sheet, but the short story in this, each square inch of a MF towel has 95,000 small fibers, each fiber is 100 times thinner than a strand of hair, if that is not imressive enough each fiber can absorb 7 times its own weight, its the only fabric I use in my detail business. Nothing else compares. and NO not all MF is created equal, that will be another post. Gary ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
turbomangt said:
Yes I have heard good things about the Mr Clean system, if you have hard water, you will benefit from it. The filters can add up though. CLEANING GLASS WITH NEWSPAPERS!!!!! I thought that went out 50 years ago? don't you get shreads of paper stuck inbetween your glass and trim? how about the ink? The latest techolnogy is Micro Fiber, the softest most absorbant cloth on the market. PM me and I will get you a technical data sheet, but the short story in this, each square inch of a MF towel has 95,000 small fibers, each fiber is 100 times thinner than a strand of hair, if that is not imressive enough each fiber can absorb 7 times its own weight, its the only fabric I use in my detail business. Nothing else compares. and NO not all MF is created equal, that will be another post. Gary ;)
No, no problems. I owned a bodyshop for a long time and there was nothing on the market when I first started that did a good job. Newspapers did, the ink has never been an issue, I'm good at it because I've been doing it for a long time and it was only when I first started that I got paper in the trim. It leaves absolutely no streaks and it's very inexpensive. ;) But I will try the other just to see how it works. Oh, and I'm pretty sure cleaning glass with newspapers started in the 70's during the early days of the environmental movement.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
hersolstice said:
You can buy a glass cleaner that GM uses, at your dealer, and it does an excellent job on your windows.

:agree: I've used many many others, and it seems to work the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts