Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Solstice will have a glass rear window or a plastic one? Just curious. Also, any pics of the roof up?
This car rocks!
JW :thumbs

·
Registered
41 Posts
No pics with the top up. There is a pic of a full scale clay model of the concept with the top up floating around but none of the production model.

And nobody knows for sure if it will be glass or plastic.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think it looks good for glass because I had heard that many States or markets now require rear window defoggers on all new cars. Don't know if this is true but I hope it is because you're right, plastic sucks! I personaly am hoping/dreaming for a retractable hard top! (I know, not likely) :cryin

·
Registered
151 Posts
AeroDave said:
I think it looks good for glass because I had heard that many States or markets now require rear window defoggers on all new cars. Don't know if this is true but I hope it is because you're right, plastic sucks! I personaly am hoping/dreaming for a retractable hard top! (I know, not likely) :cryin
i might be mistaken, but i swear i read somewhere that the 'stice will have a retractable hard-top, that was one of the reasons i fell in love with it. although it will more than likely end up as an option to suck my pockets dry :cryin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vita said:
i might be mistaken, but i swear i read somewhere that the 'stice will have a retractable hard-top, that was one of the reasons i fell in love with it. although it will more than likely end up as an option to suck my pockets dry :cryin
Don't hold your breath on that, the price of the car tells you that the car will have a soft top and it will likely not even be automatic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Given the problems w/ Miatas and their plastic windows (not to mention Porsche 911s!!!), I would say it is pretty likely it will be glass. For the few extra dollars it costs, I can't imagine anyone being able to justify plastic any longer.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The test mules being tested by autoweek, car and driver, motortrend et al in their current issues have softtops with glass rear windows. My Car and Driver has some decent picks too, the top looks like the rear window is close to verticle with a couple flying butresses of matierial off the sides heading towards the back of the car. They said the top is rather crude still and needs work, but at least the window in it is glass.

Everyone seems to be ditching plastic windows on convertables lately, and to compete they would almost have to have glass.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"...couple flying butresses of matierial" Like the 66 GTO and 84 Fiero ? Why ? Do agree the indoor shot in Autoweek looks that way but am not even certain if there is a window in that shot.

The method for making a convertible top is one of foldability which requires minimum material which the General has a lot of experience with in roadsters (Corvette, Allante, Reatta).

Now, if they have a special problem of what to do with a single piece of glass (could retract vertically right behind the seats like in an old Mercury Turnpike Cruiser for more open air with the top up).

However my hope is for something simple and light for one handed operation. If VW (Karman Ghia) and Fiat (124 Spyder) could do it thutty yar ago, why not GM ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have You Heard Differently?

need-vert said:
Don't hold your breath on that, the price of the car tells you that the car will have a soft top and it will likely not even be automatic.
I first saw the car on Regis & Kelly (and fell in love with it at first sight). If I remember right, the price of the car with a manual soft top was about $20,000 and the one with an automatic retractable soft top would cost about $40,000. I thought that was a bit steep but that's what I heard. If anyone else heard differently I would love to know because I think the automatic soft top would be great.

·
Registered
284 Posts
willow said:
I first saw the car on Regis & Kelly (and fell in love with it at first sight). If I remember right, the price of the car with a manual soft top was about $20,000 and the one with an automatic retractable soft top would cost about $40,000. I thought that was a bit steep but that's what I heard. If anyone else heard differently I would love to know because I think the automatic soft top would be great.
At $40k I think I'd stick with the manual soft top! I'll pay extra for the supercharger though. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Top Up Pics

MOTOR TREND for June 2004 has a couple of pics of the Solstice with the top up (page 86). Can't really tell but it sure looks like a glass rear window.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
padgett said:
"However my hope is for something simple and light for one handed operation. If VW (Karman Ghia) and Fiat (124 Spyder) could do it thutty yar ago, why not GM ?

I too hope for one-handed operation, but I don't think that'll work with the reverse-opening trunk/hard boot. One thing I loved about my Miata was that I could just put the top up or down in two seconds at a stop sign or traveling under 10 MPH. Looks like we'll have to actually GET OUT of the Solstice to put the top up or down.

Ah well, I do love the sleek look of the hard boot/decklid. It's probably a fair trade-off.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Glass would explain the "butresses" in the Autoweek photos. Rear window in Fiero was verical and rather small. Reduced volume does help the AC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The temp control knob has an icon for a rear window defroster, so it is probably a glass rear window. Too bad; there are many times it is nice to have the top up, but the side and back windows down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts