Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a Miata, MG Midget, and Fiat Pininfarina (my favorite). I am now very interested in the Solstice. However, I am concerned about the weight limit of approx. 350# total passenger/cargo load. Is this for real? I weigh 185 and am 5' 8", and 53 yrs old. Options for passenger/cargo is limited. I don't know what the weight limits on the other cars were. It never seemed to be an issue. Perplexed in Saginaw, MI.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No Worries......

riszard said:
I have owned a Miata, MG Midget, and Fiat Pininfarina (my favorite). I am now very interested in the Solstice. However, I am concerned about the weight limit of approx. 350# total passenger/cargo load. Is this for real? I weigh 185 and am 5' 8", and 53 yrs old. Options for passenger/cargo is limited. I don't know what the weight limits on the other cars were. It never seemed to be an issue. Perplexed in Saginaw, MI.
At the ride and drive, I was in the car with someone that was about 250, I'm 5'10 200 (that's a total of 450). No problems......
:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

riszard said:
go karts are fun.
:cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
This question is always "shined on". I think 350 pounds is rediculously low. Somebody suggested this meant 350 pounds per wheel!

This is right out of the owners manual:

Put 350 in column A
Subtract your weight in B
C is what you can carry

If you weigh 200 and your buddy weighs more than 150, she has to walk.

Not bad specs for a garage queen but totally impractical. What was GM thinking?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
This question is always "shined on". I think 350 pounds is rediculously low. Somebody suggested this meant 350 pounds per wheel!

This is right out of the owners manual:

Put 350 in column A
Subtract your weight in B
C is what you can carry

If you weigh 200 and your buddy weighs more than 150, she has to walk.

Not bad specs for a garage queen but totally impractical. What was GM thinking?
I hated to see #6, because I was going to buy a Hidden Hitch for my Sol/Sky. ;) :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
riszard said:
'04-'05 Mazdaspeed MX-5
GVWR: 2,948 lbs
Curb weight: 2,529 lbs
Payload capacity: 419 lbs

'06 Mazda MX-5 Miata
GVWR: 3,078 lbs
Curb weight: 2,498 lbs (Grand Touring 6-spd manual)
Payload capacity: 580 lbs

I would have thought the Solstice's payload capacity would be more than the Miata's, but it's not too far off. I'm actually surprised on the drastic increase for the 2006 model. But, I've easily surpassed the maximum weight for my Mazdaspeed with no problems at all. I'm sure the Solstice can take a whole lot more weight without any problems.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It's not 353 PER wheel.

We're now assuming that 353 is just a RECOMMENDED weight for "optimized performance" as we know of a situation or two where it's had 500+ lbs in it and it worked just fine. The 353 has been thought of now to be Pontiac's CYA weight limit for our car.

·
Registered
905 Posts
LBJay said:
Naaa, GM just wanted to restrict the car to only the "Beautiful People". ;)
That works for me, beautiful car & beautiful people = beautiful sight :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Of course you could keep the gas tank half empty (I'm sure the load calc. was done with a full tank). Then there are no problems ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
riszard said:

Solution: No FAT chicks allowed! But those of us who are going to have to make these accomodations it would be recommended you bye the vehicle that looks like a bar of soap. Hopeflully they will be able to slide in and out of their seat better.. Also you would not be as noticeable with a big chick in the vehicle that looks like a bar of soap being no one will be looking at your car anyway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
why yes, it is a glorified go-kart. if you don't want one, i'm sure there are a dozen people in line behind you who will gladly buy it. :spam:

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
otalldon said:
Solution: No FAT chicks allowed!
Hey now, my motto, will be no FAT men allowed. Gotta remember that it's not just the testosterone crowd that's buying this car.... ;)

Now I know the ex will *NEVER* get one, he pretty covered the allowed weight all on his own, or close enough that anyone else in the car would have to weigh about 98 pounds....Yes, there is a car God!!!

:glol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll say it again. If your load is well over the quoted 350lb limit, and
you go over some serious bumbs w/o hitting your bump stops, you're OK.
You're probably not going to hurt anything even if you hit the stops.
Or just make some sharp turns and note whether the car is acting squirrely.
If not, pay no attention to the warning.
I drove my MG with 4 inside, two of them over 200 lbs, and never had any problems, and I doubt if the load limit was 300 lbs for that car. So far as I
can tell, the limits are determined by the company's lawyers as CYA
statements, like the warnings on product safety labels. When I was in the Army years ago, we NEVER were within our truck's load limits when we needed to haul massive amounts of heavy stuff; exceeding them by 50% was the norm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts