Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I was told the Pinion seal recall kit# is 19179933. The part that the service dept says that I need is 25858219. He could not find this part anywhere except a few on the west coast.
you will not need the kit...that is the differential carrier...uuummmmmmmm and I would assume is an 08 design thus comes with the proper seal..interesting price at gmparts however..showing at shows at MSRP $873 and their price $636....interesting that they are replacing the dif based on a leak alone....with the recall..but hey looks good for you eitehr way, now they need to get one in for you.....and their is a procedure to expedite it..SD would know that...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
dealer said it would take 2 weeks to order the recall kit, so I am on hold. i told them i want the top adjusted/fixed at the same time. thanks to this forum i can now call their bluff when they say there is no adjustment to the passenger window to top fit. i even offered to loan them my shop manuals. lol.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
So is it NOT safe to drive it until the "differential carrier" part is fixed?

the question I ask.....is your differential leaking now?...if not...what specifically are they replacing the carrier??....if your diff isnt leaking fluid now......I dont see any reason why you can drive it....but I would defer that answer to your dealership

·
5,641 Posts
PAO said:
the question I ask.....is your differential leaking now?...if not...what specifically are they replacing the carrier??....if your diff isnt leaking fluid now......I dont see any reason why you can drive it....but I would defer that answer to your dealership
Post was 11 days old.

dallas32822's differential has arrived at the dealership and is in.

The frame of reference of the question was that the dealership would not release the car unrepaired.

It was a tangled mix of differential replacment and recall procedures.

As much as anything it was the need to complete the recall that was holding the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Regarding the Pinion seal /recall, does anyone know what the repair procedures are? I just scheduled the repair for next week and they said it would take 3 hours. Just wondering as to what they’re doing that would take 3 hours (i.e., rear alignment, diff removal, exhaust removal, etc) . I’m a little nervous being that the last time I brought my car in for service, they crushed the fenders.

Since I don’t have a leak at this time (6K mi), is it better to wait?

·
5,641 Posts
raw said:
Regarding the Pinion seal /recall, does anyone know what the repair procedures are? I just scheduled the repair for next week and they said it would take 3 hours. Just wondering as to what they’re doing that would take 3 hours (i.e., rear alignment, diff removal, exhaust removal, etc) . I’m a little nervous being that the last time I brought my car in for service, they crushed the fenders.
The recall procedure is the same as the normal procedures for replacing the rear differential pinion seal.

Most of the time is spent removing parts to gain access to the seal, and then reinstalling them.

Among the things that a dealership could be doing according to the procedures, draining the fluid from the differential, R&R the exhaust, R&R the tunnel panels, R&R the driveshaft, R&R the driveline support.

How long might the repair take?
The labor allowance for the Kappas is 2 hours base time, with an additional 1.6 hours for cars with the driveline support bracket (Manual Transmisison 2007 GXPs and many base 2007s).

·
Registered
5 Posts
The recall procedure is the same as the normal procedures for replacing the rear differential pinion seal.

Most of the time is spent removing parts to gain access to the seal, and then reinstalling them.

Among the things that a dealership could be doing according to the procedures, draining the fluid from the differential, R&R the exhaust, R&R the tunnel panels, R&R the driveshaft, R&R the driveline support.
This recall procedure was done on my Manual Transmission 2007 GXP last week and it took about 2 1/2 hours. I dropped of the Solstice @ 9:00 am and it was ready @ 11:30 am. I've only put on about 200 miles and so far no problems and no leaks. I had a '06 Solstice that had the whole differential replaced @5000 miles because of leaks and noise and after the replacement I had no problem. I traded the '06 (with 15000 miles) in on the '07. The same dealership did the differential work both Sols so I feel pretty good about their service department.

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
Kenny's in for the recall today, they just called and said the axle seals were leaking again, but with 40k on the current seals, not that unusual. Reminded him I had the extended warranty, so they're doing those today as well, as long as GM approves them under warranty. Otherwise it's $242.38 to replace them out of warranty. :brentil:
Tried to talk me into doing the 60k mile service, at a whoppin' $406.69, which includes stuff that's been done already (alignment, tire rotation) bla bla bla. I love the hard sell tactics...not :D

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
Recall work done and then some
19179933 Seal Kit
89021677 Lube
88996591 (2) Axle seals
54,998 miles, ready for the next 54,998 miles :yesnod:

The shuttle driver said he was drooling when he spotted Kenny up on the lift today, wondered who's car it was-found out when he went and pulled Kenny out for me to take. Cute he says, and loved the wheels :dthumbs: Turns out he & his wife know my long time friends here in town, so well my friends stood up in their wedding :lol: Small world.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Aspen-

Looks like you and I have had ours almost the same amount of time, but I'm just rolling up to 30,000 miles. Had the warranty work done plus as well. Mine was a fix of the differential vent tube as well as the pinion seals. Haven't had to change the axle seals yet.

Getting ready for some new tires [still have the OE tires] Probably Eagle F1 All Seasons from all reports here.

Trux

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
Aspen-

Looks like you and I have had ours almost the same amount of time, but I'm just rolling up to 30,000 miles. Had the warranty work done plus as well. Mine was a fix of the differential vent tube as well as the pinion seals. Haven't had to change the axle seals yet.

Getting ready for some new tires [still have the OE tires] Probably Eagle F1 All Seasons from all reports here.

Trux
Ah, I had to replace the original tires at 46k miles, could have gone a few more miles, but not with winter ahead. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 19s, love 'em, about 9k miles on them already.
I still have the original vent, it's odd sometimes how it works out. Service guy mentioned that axle seals are generally good for 40k miles, mine were done almost 40k ago with the first round of seals in the differential & tranny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very unhappy!

I took my 2007 GXP to a local dealer yesterday to have pinion seal replaced as mine was leaking. After I left the dealer I got about fifteen miles and the rearend began to whine any time I let off the gas. The whine quickly became a roar and I returned to the dealer. I was informed today that the entire rearend would have to be replaced and there were none available from GM. The only answer I could get was that there might be one available within a week but it could be several weeks. They would not admit fault but at least furnished me a loaner car. There was no whine or anything wrong prior to the seal replacement!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I took my 2007 GXP to a local dealer yesterday to have pinion seal replaced as mine was leaking. After I left the dealer I got about fifteen miles and the rearend began to whine any time I let off the gas. The whine quickly became a roar and I returned to the dealer. I was informed today that the entire rearend would have to be replaced and there were none available from GM. The only answer I could get was that there might be one available within a week but it could be several weeks. They would not admit fault but at least furnished me a loaner car. There was no whine or anything wrong prior to the seal replacement!
This is why I don’t want to take mine in unless there is a problem…this is just one of many.
You had a problem (leak) ....hope everything works out ok...maybe GM should just be changing the rear ends and stay away from reseals...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
This is why I don’t want to take mine in unless there is a problem…this is just one of many.
You had a problem (leak) ....hope everything works out ok...maybe GM should just be changing the rear ends and stay away from reseals...
replacing the pinion seal should have nothing to do with creating a whine IMHO and I find it interesting how quick the dealership stated they would now change the entire differential.....wondering if they didnt refill the fluids?...just has to be more to the story...time and time again we have seen shoddy work done by the service departments, from improper lifting to simply not having the proper tools on hand to perform a maintenance procedure......

we have had great service from our dealership....have had it in to fix the leak with the orginal seal...and it corrected the problem.....over 20K later still going strong and again they did a great job on the recall.....and no problems as a result of that procedure.....:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!

I went into have the seal replaced today. I did not have the leak, but I received the recall letter from Pontiac and a recall notice from my dealer. My big concern was damage to the rear quarters that heard about on the forum. I asked about how they were going to lift the car and the service personnel ensured me they would not damage the car. They stated they had already worked on 6 Solstices for the recall without any issues.

When the car was done, they provided me the Invoice. From the information on this forum, I noticed that the Additive (1052358) was not on the invoice. The service person said it was not needed since they only topped off the differential. So I asked, if they only topped it off, why are there 2 quarts of gear lube listed on the invoice. He then checked with the technician who performed the work. He said he drained the differential. The Service manager said he should not have drained the differential, and in any case the additive was not needed. I showed they the part numbers I had from the forum. One of the service personnel started reviewing tech bulletins. The other kept saying it wasn't needed. They then presented the list of all the cars affected which stated that the additive was only on a "As needed" basis. I explained to them that it meant it was only needed for LSD and not for non-LSD rear ends. (Thanks to Small Dealer for the posting). A little debate persued. They verified I had a LSD. One Service person finally agreeded with me when he looked up the procedure that stated to drain the differential. At last they took the car back in and added the additive. The debate process was handled professionally by them. The service manager seemed a little offended that I was questioning them but he was biting his tongue. When I started pulling out notices and part numbers, it was getting hard for them to dispute the issue.

If it were not for the discussion in this thread, I would have never known the about the additive and probably would have had problems later on. So I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and helped me be informed. Unfortunately, the six Solstices they did before mine did not get the additive. But now the service department knows it should be added for the LSD.

Thanks everyone !!!

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
If I was GM you would be getting an e-mail asking who the dealer is, so GM can request they call the customers they have service and correct the problem before GM has to shell out more money for incompetence from this dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
If this question is embedded somewhere in this thread, I am sorry....:(

Do you need to follow the 500 mile break-in period instructions again after this procedure is done????

·
5,641 Posts
Uptownmarie said:
Do you need to follow the 500 mile break-in period instructions again after this procedure is done????
There is no call for any break-in procedures after the seal replacement. Even if the dealership did a complete fluid drain and refill.

221 - 240 of 272 Posts