Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

241 - 260 of 272 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Someone tell GM to get the parts vendor to make more parts now!!! Took till 17k miles but now my diff is leaking bad and no one has the part to fix it. :brentil:

Going to be hard to drive from Orlando to the Mecca with no car to drive in. :(

·
5,641 Posts
brentil said:
Someone tell GM to get the parts vendor to make more parts now!!! Took till 17k miles but now my diff is leaking bad and no one has the part to fix it. :brentil:

Going to be hard to drive from Orlando to the Mecca with no car to drive in.
Just had my most recent backordered kit release and ship this week. So perhaps your dealership has one on the way also.

Has your dealership seen if they could pick one up from a nearby Cadillac dealership? Based on searches, they usually have the most in any area.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,445 Posts
Has your dealership seen if they could pick one up from a nearby Cadillac dealership? Based on searches, they usually have the most in any area.
I'm pretty sure that what my dealer is doing, as they don't seem to have any problem getting the kits.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Just had my most recent backordered kit release and ship this week. So perhaps your dealership has one on the way also.

I'll ask next time I call them, and I think I'll call them right now too. Thanks for the info!

:EDIT:
I called the local Cadillac dealerships and found they have parts in stock first, now to call the dealership since I have ammo to use against them!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
After playing 15 minutes of receptions phone tag I finally got to talk to someone. Per the usual as I expected I was told the seal for the CTS wouldn't work blah blah blah. Had to inform them the CTS is under the same recall, if they look at the recall notice it shows the list of cars affected by it, and that they use the same diff as us.

Finally got him to agree to what I was saying and he asked me to bring the car in tomorrow morning to get it taken care of. I could tell he was getting irritated with me. I really hate dealing with CB... :brentil:

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
After playing 15 minutes of receptions phone tag I finally got to talk to someone. Per the usual as I expected I was told the seal for the CTS wouldn't work blah blah blah. Had to inform them the CTS is under the same recall, if they look at the recall notice it shows the list of cars affected by it, and that they use the same diff as us.

Finally got him to agree to what I was saying and he asked me to bring the car in tomorrow morning to get it taken care of. I could tell he was getting irritated with me. I really hate dealing with CB... :brentil:
Make certain that he has recv'd the part FIRST or he may hold your car. IOW ... don't leave your car unless you SEE the KIT in person. Irritated or not - he should be thankful that you just helped him understand something that he did NOT understand before! :bandhead:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Make certain that he has recv'd the part FIRST or he may hold your car. IOW ... don't leave your car unless you SEE the KIT in person. Irritated or not - he should be thankful that you just helped him understand something that he did NOT understand before! :bandhead:
I'd actually rather leave my car there at this point because I'll get a loaner for that time frame for free. Last time this happened my car was there 2 weeks, was on my Classic though. Also CB doesn't do much with a sense of urgency unless the vehicle is actually there on their lot, and then they want to get it out as quickly as possible. Otherwise I could wait several more weeks before anything happens. I could rent a Solstice from the local Budget car rental (they've got several in stock :D) to go to the Mecca but I'd rather drive mine. ;)

It's gotten to the point I leave a puddle everywhere I go and the entire diff and my exhaust pipes are covered in fluid and burnt fluid. I'm not sure how much longer I can safely drive it without the diff locking.

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
I'd actually rather leave my car there at this point because I'll get a loaner for that time frame for free. Last time this happened my car was there 2 weeks, was on my Classic though. Also CB doesn't do much with a sense of urgency unless the vehicle is actually there on their lot, and then they want to get it out as quickly as possible. Otherwise I could wait several more weeks before anything happens. I could rent a Solstice from the local Budget car rental (they've got several in stock :D) to go to the Mecca but I'd rather drive mine. ;)

It's gotten to the point I leave a puddle everywhere I go and the entire diff and my exhaust pipes are covered in fluid and burnt fluid. I'm not sure how much longer I can safely drive it without the diff locking.
Let me know if they have "trouble" finding one! ;)

·
5,641 Posts
It is a numbers game.

80% of the cars in the recall are Cadillacs. Lot less Cadillac dealerships than Pontiac dealerships. So higher concentrations of the parts.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It is a numbers game.

80% of the cars in the recall are Cadillacs. Lot less Cadillac dealerships than Pontiac dealerships. So higher concentrations of the parts.
Very very true, hadn't thought of that.

These are just the STS+CTS numbers for 2006~2007, doesn't account for the SRX and 2005 model years as well.

CTS
2006 = 54,846
2007 = 57,029

STS
2006 = 25,676
2007 = 20,873

Solstice
2006 = 19,710
2007 = 16,779

That's 158,388 (probably closer to 250,000 counting SRX and 2005 sales) compared to our measly 36,489 combined sales.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The same seal, therefore seal kit, fits a LSD and non-LSD rear differential.

Only if the differential is 2008 production specs would it include a revised seal. Although said to be different than the seal in the 2006-2007 replacement seal kit used on the recall.

If dallas32822 ends up with a non-2008 spec rear differential, they will still need to have the recall done.
So, based on Small Dealer's info above and other discussions on this thread, can one infer that no 2007 NAs or GXPs have a good pinion seal, even if it is not leaking yet? This thread is a real bummer, especially if your differential is not leaking.

SD, is there any chance that differentials built to 2008 production specs made it into late run 2007 Solstices?

·
5,641 Posts
ontarget said:
So, based on Small Dealer's info above and other discussions on this thread, can one infer that no 2007 NAs or GXPs have a good pinion seal, even if it is not leaking yet? This thread is a real bummer, especially if your differential is not leaking.

Is there any chance that differentials built to 2008 production specs made it into late run 2007 Solstices?
There are plenty of Solstices that are not leaking, which by many definitions would make it a "good seal". But all 2006-2007 seals are of the same design. Given the stated reasons for the seal failures over time, the best solution is to replace them with the redesigned seal found in the update kit.

If there had been an interim introduction of the 2008 spec differential into late 2007 production, there would be an inspection step in the recall procedure. Since there is not, safe to say no factory installed 2008 units in the 2007 model year run.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Here’s a link to a posting from someone in the Cadillac Forum who had problem with his 2005 STS when it had a little over 5,000 miles. Rear seal recall - Cadillac Owners Group.

So what's changed? Why all of a sudden the frenzy to replace the seals now!? GMs known for years about the differential problem and wasn’t overly worried about it. I suspect it’s because not all differentials leak. So why take a none leaking differential to a dealer who may do the recall job correctly or incorrectly? http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f60/gm-announces-solstice-recall-merged-pinion-seal-recall-41309/index8.html#post669492.

Until GM can guarantee me that all their service dealers can do it right, I’m not taking my none leaking differential to fix something that ain’t broke. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f60/gm-announces-solstice-recall-merged-pinion-seal-recall-41309/index8.html#post665959.

If it aint broke don't fix it. I'm not going to be the one to open up the can of worms. BTW, I've checked my differencaial oil level yesterday and it's at the same level that it was last year when I checked it, perfect. I checked it last year because of all the leak problems everyone was reporting on this Forum. Thank you Solstice Forum and Cadillac Forum.

P.S. I use to own a Cadillac Seville before I switched to Audi. Got sick of watching the Soap Operas at the Cadillac Service waiting room.:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I don't think it really has to do with the rate of increase of leaks, but more to do with GM getting Getrag to finally produce a seal that doesn't suck and will fail again. There have been several seal iteration along the way, but this is the first they may feel actually solves the solution.

Car is in at the dealership right now, they seem to think they can have ti done today. Getting driver seat fixed since it wobbles, the leather on my steering wheel is pealing off, and 15k service done with sport alignment. Got a 2008 Vibe as my loaner for now.

·
Happily In The Club
563 Posts
There are plenty of Solstices that are not leaking, which by many definitions would make it a "good seal". But all 2006-2007 seals are of the same design. Given the stated reasons for the seal failures over time, the best solution is to replace them with the redesigned seal found in the update kit...
I took this advice - my dealer performed the recall work on our Solstice yesterday. Even though there were no leaks evident on the floor of my garage, we were starting to smell a "burnt" smell earlier in the week (my wife likened it to burnt toast) and so maybe we were in the early stages of a problem. I guess we'll never know but I think it was good to get her in anyway.

Matt

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had my 07 GXP in today for it's 10K service, and a couple small warranty items. I had the pinion seal changed several months ago after I saw leaking, and told my service adviser that I had. He called me later and told me that they went ahead and changed the seal AGAIN because the PN changed and they seal design was slightly different.

If you had the pinion seal changed prior to the recall, you may want to take it in anyway to ensure you have the latest part installed.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Was very surprised, they actually got the job done in one day. They messed up the alignment job I wanted done but they got the diff done correctly.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I have to say I actually had a very good experience with CB this time. I had the 15k service done, diff replaced, and 4-wheel sport alignment done and they did it all very well.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I had a quick question for those folks who have had the recall seal installed. Has anyone seen the leak return with the recall seal?

·
Registered
123 Posts
My dealer called yesterday and told me the ordered parts were in , but that the recall parts list has been modified and that they are now waiting for bolts.

Anyone heard of this?? :yawn:

241 - 260 of 272 Posts