Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all are aware of the EOP car being sold by a dealer in Greenville, NC.

1. GM can fix this problem by contacting each First 1000 buyer BEFORE shipping the car to the dealer. (They have be calling/emailing about hats, you'd think cars would be more important.)

2. If the buyer answers, I cancelled my order (didn't my dealer tell you?), the car doesn't ship and gets offered to someone on the EOP Waitlist.

3. If the buyer backs out while the car is in transit or refuses delivery, then the car should be allowed to be displayed in the dealer's showroom until a Waitlist buyer is found. Then shipped to that new buyer's dealer (all the money that has been spent on this promotion makes a few additional shipping charges trivial).

The EOP car wasn't part of the first dealer's allocation so it wasn't his to sell, but he still benefits from the showroom time.

This would stop potential abuse immediately and have the added effect of lowering every forum member's blood pressure.

·
5,641 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
1. GM can fix this problem by contacting each First 1000 buyer BEFORE shipping the car to the dealer.
There is nothing saying that this isn't part of their plans. If I remember posts, the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail order Solstice buyers were called by the Program Headquarters around the time the orders were picked up and starting to be scheduled for production. They could be doing the same around shipping and delivery.

Keep in mind two things. One, the Program Headquarters thinks there will be two weeks between the dealer getting the invoice and getting the car. Two, the cars do not show as shipped yet in VOMS. Excelsior's car still shows as only "available to ship".

I agree that recontact would be good, but we don't know that they haven't planned on it anyway.

Fourtyninenorth said:
2. If the buyer answers, I cancelled my order (didn't my dealer tell you?), the car doesn't ship and gets offered to someone on the EOP Waitlist.
Not that it has mattered to Pontiac, but the rules state that if the buyer cancels the order and it it is to late to cancel production , the car continues to the ordering dealer. The dealer then will loose one unit of regular allocation.

Fourtyninenorth said:
3. If the buyer backs out while the car is in transit or refuses delivery, then the car should be allowed to be displayed in the dealer's showroom until a Waitlist buyer is found. Then shipped to that new buyer's dealer (all the money that has been spent on this promotion makes a few additional shipping charges trivial).
The EOP car wasn't part of the first dealer's allocation so it wasn't his to sell, but he still benefits from the showroom time.
We have already seen just here on the site in a few cases that waitlist buyers do not want someonelse's order. One post said that they passed on two offers. The only reason a wait lister might take a car they didn't want, would be for a resale situation.

Speaking of that, aren't these steps a little unilateral? What about the buyer who answers that call and says that they are going to sell the car or already have it up on eBay. Shouldn't Program Headquarters take those cars away too?

Mon ami, We either try to play this out as close to the rules as possible or take all the cancelled order cars and ship them to Canada!

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

·
5,641 Posts
Went and found the rules and good ol'number 13:

Pontiac EOP Rules said:
13. Pontiac Customer Confirmation:
Pontiac will confirm each eligible customer’s exclusive retail order with that customer prior to shipping an order to a Dealer. In the event a customer
indicates he/she does not wish to purchase the vehicle, Program Headquarters will contact the Dealer to confirm the cancellation. All orders are
subject to audit by Pontiac.
Looks like there will be phone calls to be made.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Went and found the rules and good ol'number 13:

Looks like there will be phone calls to be made.
for those that have taken delivery...did you get that second phone call???

·
5,641 Posts
PAO said:
for those that have taken delivery...did you get that second phone call???
Again this is where we run into the two week thing. Excelsior will probably get a call on the 29th. :lol:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SD if all dealers were like you.....

Rule 13, that's priceless, kind of like Catch 22. You are right of course, my suggestion is one-sided (uni-lateral is when one side imposses its will, kind of like the softwood lumber issue).

Right again, nothing to stop a buyer from flipping the car once in hand. So the dealers out there are thinking, if 1st 1k buyers can do it why not dealers, after all we have a whole lot more invested in GM/Pontiac than the customers do.

Can't really argue with that logic either, well I can try so here goes.

1) While you are right that waitlisted folks have turned down cars before they were built, I would guess human nature being what it is, you wouldn't see that now if talking about an available car.

2) If the car becomes part of the dealer's allocation yet the dealer holds a special, sell it to the highest offer auction, as someone else observed, an allocation customer who has waited for months now, could get bumped off out of the running for a car by the queue jumper who won the bidding war on the flipped EOP. So unfair on two counts.

3) My last point is that if this loop-hole isn't addressed, it is subject to abuse. Through any number of "arrangements".

Finally it isn't enough that the letter of the EOP rules be followed, but the spirit as well. We are talking about an image car for Pontiac, with a dream launch associated with a hit TV programme. This is high stakes poker here, time to take the high road for all concerned. Definitely NOT the time for anyone to try and make a fast buck (yeah I know that is the American way).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
We all are aware of the EOP car being sold by a dealer in Greenville, NC.
We don't need any further threads on this issue. Everyone had a chance to express their position on it. Since this thread looks like it was created as a direct result of that thread, I am closing it now.

Smalldealer did a good job of addressing your concerns. As he said, if it is too late to cancel an order, the EOP car will continue to the dealer, and just get subtracted from their regular allocation.

Is it a shame that someone on the waitlist cannot end up getting a car? Sure is. However, it appears too late in this instance.

As I said before, I hope GM investigates this dealer to determine whether the original customer of the car in question was legitimate or not, and if not that they take punitive action against the dealer. If it was legit, then that is just life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.