Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Canada Prices 2006 Pontiac Solstice Well Below Mazda Miata
by Trevor Hofmann , Canadian Auto Press


Gorgeous Solstice Roadster the Least
Expensive Two-Seat Convertible in Canada

Gorgeous curves. Elegant, classic design. Pontiac's new Solstice roadster has what it takes to stir the soul of any car enthusiast, and its amazingly low entry price of $25,695 will have Miata buyers feeling sheepish about having spent an extra $2,300 for the $27,995 best-seller.


Pontiac's new Solstice roadster has what it
takes to stir the soul of any car enthusiast.
(Photo: General Motors of Canada)

Of course, up until now Mazda's iconic roadster has had little competition. GM plans to change all of that, under pricing and arguably outclassing the venerable Miata in styling and features.



"With this compact and affordable sports car,
the Solstice adds new dimension to Pontiac's
portfolio," commented Donna Martin, GM's marketing
manager for Small and Sporty Cars.
(Photo: General Motors of Canada)

The only engine, thus far, is GM's 2.4-litre Ecotec 4-cylinder, tuned to produce 170-horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque. It's mated to a Japanese-made Aisin 5-speed manual transmission - no automatic is specified. ABS will be optional, but four-wheel disc brakes will be included as standard equipment, as will large-diameter 18-inch wheels wrapped in P245/45R18 performance rubber. A 6-speaker CD audio system will be available, as will a chrome-tipped exhaust pipe.


"This thrilling addition to the Pontiac lineup delivers performance in a fun, agile, affordable roadster," commented Donna Martin, GM's marketing manager for Small and Sporty Cars.

"With this compact and affordable sports car, the Solstice adds new dimension to Pontiac's portfolio."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Miata comparison

What he doesn't tell you is the base Miata includes Power Windows,Locks,keyless entry and fog lamps, 5 year powertrain
warranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
There's a good chance the the canadian base model will include these features as standard as well. Very rarely do you get a car in canada without power stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Canadian Base

andrewplanet said:
There's a good chance the the canadian base model will include these features as standard as well. Very rarely do you get a car in canada without power stuff.
We already know what is included in the Canadian Base price. Nothing!
People have already been putting orders in at their dealers and they have all the prices and options. Search this site and you will see the option prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
No cars available in Canada till October!!

I just got back from the dealer here in Canada and after signing the offer with a condition in it that the delivery date be on or before July 31 (salesguys were telling me it should be end of June) the manager walks out and tells me they arent expecting any cars before end of September! Obviously very dissapointed I tore up the offer and said I would have to rethink. It seems to make sense now to wait till spring of O6 to see how the actual reviews come out, crash tests, etc. I also then get to see the colors up close, test drive it myself and compare it to the Saturn Sky, which I understand will be a few thousands more (but not sure what comes standard). FYI the only options I chose were a/c and the monsoon stereo package and with all taxes (air tax, tire tax, GST) plus freight of $970 plus an outrageous admin fee of $349 the car came to $30,857. It was ridiculous to me that to get the integrated foglamps you had to take cruise control plus some cheezy driver information centre for $700. It is equally ridiculous that you have to pay $1,040 for power windows and locks. ALso the warranty is only 3 years. The car is gorgeous, I just hope GM does not screw this up and not get production to match demand. FYI as a selling feature the dealership was trying to tell me that they would not sell it for more than MSRP. Has anyone agreed to pay greater than MSRP from a dealer? Anothger question is does anyone know whether you will able to turn off the airbag in the passenger seat or will it have the GM weight sensitive seat found in the Sky?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact dates for arrival here (BC) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was targetted for September all along.

The US demand is apparently larger than GM expected, they have to fulfill 1000 initial Solstii and then deal with the wait-listed orders, not sure of the numbers but likely multiple thousands. The production run for calendar year 2005 is already abbreviated too, making the number of Solstii for Canada seriously limited.

Don't expect an easy time locating this car for a test drive either......it is so limited production I doubt any dealership will have them sitting on their lots collecting dust.

I agree we get taxed up the wazzu, tire tax and air tax is BS, BIG TIME! The GST + PST here alone add up to an extra $3600!!!

Personally I would avoid the power door locks etc, but get performance/driver oriented options such as ABS, limited slip diff, cat back exhaust etc. I have no idea what the bill would be for my future soltice, but I am guessing north of $32,000.

Therefore, I have decided to wait it out a bit, I have been told by the dealership near me to "order one right away" for 2005, but I would rather SAVE MONEY in the bank first and buy the car in calendar year 2006.

My plan is to have 20000+ in cash plus a trade in, and the longer I wait the more my money in the bank grows (500 a month!). Hopefully in 2006 we will get more info about a turbo Solstice, I would put a deposit down NOW if I could for such a car. But if i need to wait until calendar year 2007 so be it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Canadian pricing

dissapointed said:
I just got back from the dealer here in Canada and after signing the offer with a condition in it that the delivery date be on or before July 31 (salesguys were telling me it should be end of June) the manager walks out and tells me they arent expecting any cars before end of September! Obviously very dissapointed I tore up the offer and said I would have to rethink. It seems to make sense now to wait till spring of O6 to see how the actual reviews come out, crash tests, etc. I also then get to see the colors up close, test drive it myself and compare it to the Saturn Sky, which I understand will be a few thousands more (but not sure what comes standard). FYI the only options I chose were a/c and the monsoon stereo package and with all taxes (air tax, tire tax, GST) plus freight of $970 plus an outrageous admin fee of $349 the car came to $30,857. It was ridiculous to me that to get the integrated foglamps you had to take cruise control plus some cheezy driver information centre for $700. It is equally ridiculous that you have to pay $1,040 for power windows and locks. ALso the warranty is only 3 years. The car is gorgeous, I just hope GM does not screw this up and not get production to match demand. FYI as a selling feature the dealership was trying to tell me that they would not sell it for more than MSRP. Has anyone agreed to pay greater than MSRP from a dealer? Anothger question is does anyone know whether you will able to turn off the airbag in the passenger seat or will it have the GM weight sensitive seat found in the Sky?
You forgot to mention $1400 for the leather package, that is just on the seating surfaces(all two of them), steering wheel and gear shift knob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
leather

dissapointed said:
In Alberta they are charging $2110 for the leather option!
That is correct but that includes the convenience package which thankfully you can buy separately for $710. This gives you cruise, driver info center and fog lamps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
hmm I will have to check on that because my understanding from 2 different dealers is that the leather is $2110 and the convenience package is $710 on top of that!

So I am curious would you order one now (and maybe get it in January) or is it better to wait till spring 2006 to order one????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Leather

dissapointed said:
hmm I will have to check on that because my understanding from 2 different dealers is that the leather is $2110 and the convenience package is $710 on top of that!

So I am curious would you order one now (and maybe get it in January) or is it better to wait till spring 2006 to order one????
I have already ordered just the convenience package . It is on screen @ the dealer in his GM Autobook order screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
CanSol

Hey, Psyco-Squirrel, Have you ordered a unit yet and if so, from what dealer?

I am in the Poco area and ordered one from Wheaton.

The order that I signed listed the info center, cruise, and fog lamps as no chg??? and I did not buy the leather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I have not ordered mine yet, it doesnt really matter anyways since they are delayed until sept.

I have always planned to wait it out until 2006. I don't mind waiting as long as they give me all the options/prices that I want. (no way in heck that I'd pay over the msrp, but options are legit extra costs).

I'm kind of unsure whether I "need" leather or not, I won't know until I actually place my order.

I'd likely buy from Lansdowne Pontiac in Richmond, they aren't the best dealer but they are nearby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I'm not sure if hurrying is justified.

I am pretty sure that I can order a solstice whenever I want, the delivery date is another matter entirely.

I know that I ought to order a Solstice before sept/oct 2005 if I wanted next years car (CY 2006). MY 2007 is another option for delivery late 2006.

But I am also weighing the decision on whether or not Pontiac develops a FI version......I would want to buy THAT Solstice, therefore I wait.

However, if a dealer would let me put a deposit down for the first FI Solstice, I would do so in a nano-second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
CanSol

Hey Psyco-Squirrel,

My order is at Wheaton in Coquitlam and they are taking deposits ($500.00).

As they suggested it won't get here any sooner, however, it will be price protected for when it does get here.

I was in Lansdown yesterday and as you said they are not taking orders.

If you go to Wheaton, ask for John Proctor and he will help you out.

I'm number three on their list so he will know who I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I believe the Lansdowne dealer may have already found buyers for this year's allotment (hence no more orders for now). They called me prior to the apprentice crazyness and I said that I would wait it out until next year.

There is no way that they sold out their yearly allotments for the next 3-4 years. I don't think they can pre-order that far in advance.

I am sure that I could still order one from Lansdowne in the future, and if they refuse my business then they would be idiots, since I would take my money elsewhere.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top