Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have an official answer on whether or not we can use our GM card earnings? Someone suggested that the guy who did the satellite broadcast was confused on this issue. It is a deal-breaker for me, at least on the first 1000.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
PATIOTRAY said:
Do we have an official answer on whether or not we can use our GM card earnings? Someone suggested that the guy who did the satellite broadcast was confused on this issue. It is a deal-breaker for me, at least on the first 1000.

This question was raised on another post. I think Conejo was going to call in and get a detailed answer. I want to know myself.

·
Registered
338 Posts
PAS22 said:
This question was raised on another post. I think Conejo was going to call in and get a detailed answer. I want to know myself.
AAGGGHHH!!

Sorry all, my computer locked me out y-day, just got back online. Thanks Mr. IT Guy.

Here is the official reply to my question.

"Hello Steve,

It has been confirmed that the GM Credit Card Point Redemption can not be used for the Pontiac Solstice Promotion. You should receive a package by the first of April which will include a set of rules for this promotion. Please review number 14 which will cover this issue."

I cannot apologize for the compay..., but let me pose a question to everyone....are you going to let soemthing like that keep you from buying one now? The reason I ask is, there are a few "What if..." scenarios.

What if....
1. They NEVER allow GM card redemption
2. The car is so hot, that you have to wait a year (or more,) to get one, and then pay above sticker
3. They never allow an employee/supplier discount
4. It flops b/c of NOT letting employees buy them up early, and it gets cancelled (it's still a possiblity,)
And the list goes on.

B/c you cannot use a certain privilage, is it still a great deal if you get the vehicle you want at a price you can afford, especially knowing the rules (and price,) up front? Everybody knew that the price was going to be set at sticker. With that info known early, I don't think anybody truly expected to be able to get a rebate, interest rate, or any other price break. It was a perk that some of us have earned, we just can benefit from it on this vehicle b/c it is new, it's fresh, and people want. Think about it, 2000 dealers, 1000 cars.

Now I am not trying to SELL all of you a vehicle, but I certainly would if I had the chance. Hopefully I have established enough integrity and rapport to be allowed to play devil's advocate for a sec...This entire promotion is designed to get the vehicle into the hands of the general population quickly, not making them wait for years to get on a list, and also to give a special opportunity to the public BEFORE giving it to people who normally get all of the breaks.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox now. Sorry for the little rant, didn't mean to offend or upset anybody, justthrow a little reason out. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well thanks to this GM crap I'm going to have to cut off some of the options I wanted because I was going to use the GM Card points I had to cover them.

Times like this I'm glad I have my emoticon.
Great GM, thanks. :brentil:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I was going to us GM Card points to cover most of the sales tax.

·
Registered
228 Posts
conejo148 said:
also to give a special opportunity to the public BEFORE giving it to people who normally get all of the breaks.
For that reason right there im glad their doing it. It gives us regular folk a better chance at getting this car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Billabongi said:
For that reason right there im glad their doing it. It gives us regular folk a better chance at getting this car.
That makes zero sense. Being able to use GM Points or not in no way allows someone to get a Solstice before you, or any priority above you. All it's going to do is piss people like me off who are planning on buying the car anyways. A couple people who might have been counting on GM Card Points might not be able to afford it for the first 1000, but the max you'd be able to spend under the new card policies anyways is $1000 more then likely. And that number of people is probably fairly small compared to those who were getting it GM points or not.

Using GM Card Points is not a break for some elite group of people, it's a bonus given to use for making GM MORE MONEY via the interest they make off of us normal Joes. It's just pure BS they're denying us something we're making them money off of. It's GM being money grubbing bean counters again.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
GM original conceived the Card points to be applied to any GM car/truck. Since then they keep narrowing the vehicles it applies to. A sign of the times at GM, me thinks. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes- $1000 is not that much money, but the GM card promotional materials have the Solstice plastered all over them. It certainly appeared that it would be eligible. If it never becomes eligible, then yes, GM has lost a sale, because I feel I have been duped into using their card.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
PATIOTRAY said:
Yes- $1000 is not that much money, but the GM card promotional materials have the Solstice plastered all over them. It certainly appeared that it would be eligible. If it never becomes eligible, then yes, GM has lost a sale, because I feel I have been duped into using their card.
It's only for the first 1000. If you end up just get a normal production one after that you'll get to use your GM Card Points.

I don't have that much on my card, definetely not the $1000, but I was still going to use it to get options that weren't inside my budget.

·
Registered
936 Posts
It was a deal braker for me I went and got my deposit back. The dealer told me GM card points would be honored and now it is not plus when I gave my deposit it was before the full program info was out and I was to get one of his first and now I have to compete and my being early with a deposit means nothing. I don't feel in anyway Pontiac has appreciated the real buyers who had already put up money. They suckered me with this GM card BS and not only did Pontiac lose a buyer but I will cancel the card as soon as I can replace it. I had $1800 built up and that makes a big diffrence. Pontiac in no way is giving me $1800 if I used that I earned that by using their card .I kept my end of the deal and used the card but they shafted me.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
ateam_77 said:
It was a deal braker for me I went and got my deposit back. The dealer told me GM card points would be honored and now it is not plus when I gave my deposit it was before the full program info was out and I was to get one of his first and now I have to compete and my being early with a deposit means nothing. I don't feel in anyway Pontiac has appreciated the real buyers who had already put up money. They suckered me with this GM card BS and not only did Pontiac lose a buyer but I will cancel the card as soon as I can replace it. I had $1800 built up and that makes a big diffrence. Pontiac in no way is giving me $1800 if I used that I earned that by using their card .I kept my end of the deal and used the card but they shafted me.
You could have always stayed in line and gotten the first non Apprentice 1000 Solstice, which you would have been able to use your GM Card Points on. The Apprentice 1000 are the only ones you can't use it on.

·
5,641 Posts
ateam_77 said:
The dealer told me GM card points would be honored and now it is not plus when I gave my deposit it was before the full program info was out and I was to get one of his first and now I have to compete and my being early with a deposit means nothing. I don't feel in anyway Pontiac has appreciated the real buyers who had already put up money. They suckered me with this GM card BS and not only did Pontiac lose a buyer but I will cancel the card as soon as I can replace it. I had $1800 built up and that makes a big diffrence. Pontiac in no way is giving me $1800 if I used that I earned that by using their card .I kept my end of the deal and used the card but they shafted me.
You are mad at Pontiac because your dealer told you something which wasn't true? GM/Pontiac or the GM Card people have never announced if GM Card earnings are or are not usable on the Solstice. All we have is the post here from info obtained from the EOP center. It is the assumptions that Dealers and Buyers have been making that are causing the stress.

As far as your second issue. You would still have gotten one of your dealers first cars. Nothing changed that when Pontiac announced this special EOP. There is nothing that says he would have gotten any of the first 1,000 cars built (if Pontiac didn't have the special program) any way. If you were first at the dealer, you would have still received thier first car, second their second, third their third, etc. So many people are stressing on this EOP. It isn't for the whole model year production run, it is just 5% or less of the cars.

·
Registered
168 Posts
PAS22 said:
I was going to us GM Card points to cover most of the sales tax.
In my state (8-1/4%) you can use the GM Card to pay for tax, license and registration, making a nice start on some of the options for your next GM vehicle.
Luckily I have the "old" GM card. I cashed in #000 last year on a new Chevy truck so I only have about 700 now. I'll just use it later.
I can see your point though.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Blk37Special said:
In my state (8-1/4%) you can use the GM Card to pay for tax, license and registration, making a nice start on some of the options for your next GM vehicle.
Luckily I have the "old" GM card. I cashed in #000 last year on a new Chevy truck so I only have about 700 now. I'll just use it later.
I can see your point though.

I did the same thing last year and used by credits towards a new truck. Our area of Wisconsin is at 5.5 % sales tax but you have a good point about using the cars to cover license, sales tax etc. I also have an old GM card. Havn't they changed the limit to $1000 per vehicle or year or something like that?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Small Dealer said:
You are mad at Pontiac because your dealer told you something which wasn't true? GM/Pontiac or the GM Card people have never announced if GM Card earnings are or are not usable on the Solstice. All we have is the post here from info obtained from the EOP center. It is the assumptions that Dealers and Buyers have been making that are causing the stress.

As far as your second issue. You would still have gotten one of your dealers first cars. Nothing changed that when Pontiac announced this special EOP. There is nothing that says he would have gotten any of the first 1,000 cars built (if Pontiac didn't have the special program) any way. If you were first at the dealer, you would have still received thier first car, second their second, third their third, etc. So many people are stressing on this EOP. It isn't for the whole model year production run, it is just 5% or less of the cars.
I think you are missing some of the point.
Instead of getting one of the first 1000 now a person has to wait months longer to get a regular production and I dont wont one in November. I had a deposit to get one in early production for summer.

Gm card was gotten with the understanding that I could use it aginst the purchase of any vehicle. This isn't being honored.

Not getting one or the first 1000 does not guarentee anyone a price of $19995 that they have been promising. You being a dealer you have to know that that price will be short lived. once they get the first 1000 out of the way I bet anything the price (MSRP) will start to rise. One example is I bought a Dodge Magnum it was advertised as a muscle car under 30K after a very short time the price (msrp) began to rise at a rate of about $500 per month for the next 3 months. It was only low for the purpose of advertising and you watch the Solstice go up also. Now I admit that that is only my opinion but I don't want to wait and have to pay a higher price.

I am not mad because the dealer told me something wrong, I don't consider tat he did. What I ment was that many people put down money and was serious buyers and the program comes along without no regard to them and say if you dont get one of the first 1000 you must wait longer even though you steped up with money early.

·
5,641 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I think you are missing some of the point.
Instead of getting one of the first 1000 now a person has to wait months longer to get a regular production and I dont wont one in November. I had a deposit to get one in early production for summer.
I may well be missing some of the point. But, if some one isn't one of the first 1,000 they could be 1,001. They may only be a month behind the first EOP car, and 20 minutes behind the last one.

My real point is that all you could expect (because it is all the dealer should have promised) is to get the first (second, third, ...whatever you were) car they get. There never should have been expectations of were your order would fall in the big picture because there is no way know it. This is where the GTO order program made people unhappy. The GTO buyers assumed that becasue they were part of the early order program they would be getting one of the first GTOs built. They were wrong. All they got was to the top of their dealer's order list, not Pontiac's. In fact some dealers had already ordered GTOs for inventory and those cars were built and arrived before the early order program GTOs. Maybe I can't explain it well enough because I am to close to it. But based on your post that I responded to, I do not believe that anything has changed are far as you chance of getting a car at the same time as you would have if Pontiac didn't start this program.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I may well be missing some of the point. But, if some one isn't one of the first 1,000 they could be 1,001. They may only be a month behind the first EOP car, and 20 minutes behind the last one.

My real point is that all you could expect (because it is all the dealer should have promised) is to get the first (second, third, ...whatever you were) car they get. There never should have been expectations of were your order would fall in the big picture because there is no way know it. This is where the GTO order program made people unhappy. The GTO buyers assumed that becasue they were part of the early order program they would be getting one of the first GTOs built. They were wrong. All they got was to the top of their dealer's order list, not Pontiac's. In fact some dealers had already ordered GTOs for inventory and those cars were built and arrived before the early order program GTOs. Maybe I can't explain it well enough because I am to close to it. But based on your post that I responded to, I do not believe that anything has changed are far as you chance of getting a car at the same time as you would have if Pontiac didn't start this program.
I think you doing a decent job of trying to explain the program. From an outside perspective, knowing now that regular ordering is open. The Apprentice 1000 is just the first 1000 cars out of the plant whose capacity when up and running with Sols and Skys and Opels will be over 5000 cars per month! (assuming 20k each of 3 models) 1000 cars is less than one week's production at full run. (not counting year end model changeover -oops they don't do that anymore) Solsticeman talked about ramping up before. At a worst case scenario it won't take more than 3 weeks to build these 1000 and so maybe they take a week off to evaluate the job. That would mean job #1001 could be out the door in a month (or less) after #1. If production starts in May or June, the 1000 should all be delivered by end of July. The rest will be rolling in August so if a person didn't want to get one of the first 1000 he/she could still have their car in August.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First post and this is the thread that caught my attention. I'm in my seventh year of earnings with the original (old-style) Gm card and have to use it by October or I begin to lose past earnings, month-by-month.

In the above discussion on the Solstice exemption, is everyone talking about both kinds of GM cards, or just the newer, more restricted model?

I will call tomorrow.

This would be a deal breaker for me. I have to spend the $3,500 on some GM product. I can only own so many cars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
NearlyNN said:
First post and this is the thread that caught my attention. I'm in my seventh year of earnings with the original (old-style) Gm card and have to use it by October or I begin to lose past earnings, month-by-month.

In the above discussion on the Solstice exemption, is everyone talking about both kinds of GM cards, or just the newer, more restricted model?

I will call tomorrow.

This would be a deal breaker for me. I have to spend the $3,500 on some GM product. I can only own so many cars.
It applies to both it seems. It also shouldnt be a big deal as most say it is. Its a special access program there are always exemptions to a special program, I dont understand why everyone freaks out about it. If you want to use your card earnings wait for regular allocations.

I dont see the point in getting pissed at a company for not letting you use "coupons" on a special. Every read the sunday coupon papers? Specials EVERYWHERE

1 - 20 of 33 Posts