Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

GM Card Program To Purchase Solstice?

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Remo 
#1 ·
Anyone know if there will be any limitations on GM card earnings used against Solstice purchases? I basically got the card just to earn up my $1000 which I assume will be the max that I can use against this car.

Anyone know if there will be any limitations on how much can be used, when it can be used, etc? I don't plan to buy a Solstice until we get past the dealer markup craze and can get a decent fair price on the car.

Anyone know what the strategy to use with the GM card is? Work your best final deal then present the card at the end?

Thanks for any info!

Brad

#2 ·
Welcome. The usage limits (for the GM Cards with redemption limits) for 2006 models have not been announced yet. The fact that they are not available for usage on the Early Order Program cars may be an indication of GMs future plans. But again, it is too early.

I would suggest that on the GM Card site, you pick the Solstice (if available) in your vehicle preference section. Let GM know a potential Solstice buyer wants to use their earnings.

As far as when the day comes, yes work out a price and then bring out your card earnings.

Good luck.

#3 ·
I'd imagine with the new GM card there will be an initial limit of about 1000 dollars and when the Solstice sales slow down..the allowable limit for GM credit card points will go up...

Its anyones quess when the sales of the solstice will slow down so if you want a solstice ...figure a grand off for the first 2 or three years...

IMHO...

#4 ·
I cannot imagine they wouldn't have a limit. However, they are also using the Solstice to market the GM card, including giving an option to get a picture of the Solstice on your card. So I would hope that they would let you use earnings on it. However, they are not going to need to give these away in a firesale either, so they will almost certainly limit it.

#5 ·
If you have the old card you can use as many points as you have built up, upto $3500 I eblieve (since that's the limit you can spend with the old card). If you have the new card, you'll more then likely always be limited at $1000. GM seems to limit the sports cars, and a lot of other cars to $1000. You have to want to be buying an SUV or some ridiculuosly huge vehicle they make tons of profit on to use more then $1000.

#6 ·
brentil said:
If you have the old card you can use as many points as you have built up, upto $3500 I eblieve (since that's the limit you can spend with the old card). If you have the new card, you'll more then likely always be limited at $1000. GM seems to limit the sports cars, and a lot of other cars to $1000. You have to want to be buying an SUV or some ridiculuosly huge vehicle they make tons of profit on to use more then $1000.
GO to gm. com, , current offers, card section, pick your card, enter info, and you can find out what the limit per vehicle is. There should also be number that you can call to find out. The card types limited earning %, not $$. Old cards, Ol' Blue, Gold, Plat, earn @ 5% redemption, Ext. Family are 1%. You can only use a GMS/Supplier disc. w/ an Ext. Fam. card, but if you get an "In the Driveway" cert, you can use any of them.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the information.

Given the delays in production, anyone with a lot of previous experience know how long it will be, roughly, before prices are reasonable on the Solstice? I am going to assume dealers will be getting MSRP or even higher on the cars for a while. Basically I'm just hoping to pick one up using the GM card $1000 cash off (if eligible, even) at or below MSRP (preferably below). My target purchase is now going to be next Spring/Summer, since I am in the NorthEast and don't want the car to sit in the garage unused (lest a local dealer needs to move one cheap, of course, which I doubt).

I guess I'm just wondering is, say, a year from now...Will the Solstices still be hard to come by, tough to order custom, and moreso, at or above MSRP? I'm starting to think I should have gotten in on EOP just to lock in MSRP if I could have also applied my GM card $$.

#8 ·
2006 GM Card Redemption Allowances Now Listed

I was checking the GM card site today and noticed that the 2006 models are now listed as eligible vehicles under the GM Card program. The Pontiac Solstice redemption allowance is $1,000.

Here's the link:

http://www.gmcard.com/GMCard/apply/redeem/allowances.jsp

#9 ·
#12 ·
Excellent news!

So the next question is this -- If I pre-order a Solstice, I'm cool to use my $1000 as long as I have that racked up on the card by the time I take delivery, I assume?

Is everyone still getting MSRP guaranteed when they order? Has anyone ordered one lately?

#13 ·
Brad said:
Excellent news!

So the next question is this -- If I pre-order a Solstice, I'm cool to use my $1000 as long as I have that racked up on the card by the time I take delivery, I assume?

Is everyone still getting MSRP guaranteed when they order? Has anyone ordered one lately?
Only EOP cars are denied GM Card Points.

If you can't get MSRP at your dealer go elsewhere. There are plenty of dealers offering MSRP.

#15 ·
GreatWhiteNorth said:
I have verbal confirmation from Canadian GM card center that the Solstice qualifies for up to $1000 GM Card points in Canada.
In a way that kinda sucks, since your $ value is different then ours. Is the $1000 you can used supposed to be USA $ values?

#16 ·
conejo148 said:
GO to gm. com, , current offers, card section, pick your card, enter info, and you can find out what the limit per vehicle is. There should also be number that you can call to find out. The card types limited earning %, not $$. Old cards, Ol' Blue, Gold, Plat, earn @ 5% redemption, Ext. Family are 1%. You can only use a GMS/Supplier disc. w/ an Ext. Fam. card, but if you get an "In the Driveway" cert, you can use any of them.

so you are saying that if you can get GMS at work, you can only get additional dollars off with the Extended Family Card?

#17 ·
Canadian GM Card Points

brentil said:
In a way that kinda sucks, since your $ value is different then ours. Is the $1000 you can used supposed to be USA $ values?
I agree, it sucks because we are paying more for the car but only getting to
use $1000 Canadian Dollar GM Card Points. Oh well, it could have been worse had they decided not to allow any on the Canadian purchases.
I suppose the logic is they have to keep it at the same dollar redemption level that other Canadian GM cars are allowed.
At this point, I just don't care anymore. The summer is a wasting and I don't got my car. Without the opportunity to try for the first 1,000 EOP cars, the best I can probably do is the first allocation cars come September.

#18 ·
nyca said:
so you are saying that if you can get GMS at work, you can only get additional dollars off with the Extended Family Card?
Yes. Further, if you now have the new (Copper/Platinum) GM Card, you can't convert that to the Extended Family. Old (Blue/Gold) cards can convert to the Extended Family, at a conversion rate of 1/5 or 20% of your "earnings" from old to extended cards. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.