Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many people on this forum have owned GM cars or trucks.I own 2002 sierra four wheel drive truck red and silver.I also own 2001 cavalier white.Both car and truck have ben trouble free.I will soon I hope have a soltice in my driveway Black two tone everthing but xm and onstar.GM MAKES GREAT CARS AND TRUCKS.BUY AMERICAN. :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Moved to "Other Car Discussion"

Hmm... GM vehicles. Yeah, I guess there have been a few in the family (not all mine personally, but all have been owned by close family:

1969 Chevy Chevelle
1982 Buick Skylark
1985 Pontiac Fiero (still owned)
1986 Buick Century Wagon
1987 Buick Century
1987 Pontiac Fiero
1988 Pontiac Fiero (still owned, and mine)
1989 Chevy Cavalier
1991 Buick Century
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport
1996 Geo Tracker
1997 Buick Century
2006 Saturn Vue AWD (I included this because my mother just bought it. What a nice vehicle it is too)

I guess you could say that my close family has owned a few GM vehicles. :lol: I personally like GM, but Ironically have ownly owned one. My Fiero. That compared to 3 Fords and 1 Chysler (Jeep Wrangler).

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have a 98 Monte Carlo and an 05 Buick Terraza, both of which are my wife's auto's. I currently drive a 98 Dodge Intrepid. I came very close to buying either a Chrysler Crossfire or an 05 Mustang GT Convertible. I decided that I didn't really like the Crossfire design and that I didn't want the back seats of the Mustang.

I had originally seen the Sky before I knew about the Solstice. I leaned more towards the Sky at first but there's just something about the lines of the Solstice that won me over.

This will only be my second GM auto in my 42 years of life. My first was a Geo Spectrum, (actually an Isuzu product). I hated that car and swore I'd never own another GM product. As you can tell I've changed my mind, but it took something as exciting as the Solstice to make me eat my words. I don't think I'll ever regret buying this car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My GM ownership history includes a 1968 Impala, 1972 Chevelle, 1988 S-10, 1995 Cavalier, 1997 S-10 Sport, and 1997 Grand Prix. Have own only Honda/Acura, Toyota, and Mitsubishi products since my last GM car. Looking forward to see how it compares over time.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
ojohnson said:
This will only be my second GM auto in my 42 years of life. My first was a Geo Spectrum, (actually an Isuzu product). I hated that car and swore I'd never own another GM product. As you can tell I've changed my mind, but it took something as exciting as the Solstice to make me eat my words. I don't think I'll ever regret buying this car.
It might be worth giving GM a second shot. Since GM didn't design, engineer, or produce your Spectrum, it is a litltle tough holding a bad experience with it against all GM products.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

I owned an 82 Pontiac Phoenix sedan that was trouble from day one. Swore I'd never buy another GM product again.

I now own a Pontiac Grand Am GT that we towed behind our motorhome this summer. Without warning (did not notice light or guage) the engine overheated when we wrere in Salt Lake City and toasted the motor.

Not a good track record, however, I have two Solstice on order and can't wait for them to arrive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
GM almost always

Our first new car was a 1981 Buick Skylark Sport Coupe
Our first car was a 1971 Gremlin X
Along the way we owned
1977 Cutlass
1982 Chevy Station Wagon
1996 Chevy Conversion Van
1984 GMC Suburban
1989 GMC JIMMY
1988 Chevy Cavalier
1994 GMC Suburban
2000 Chevy Impala
We also had a Chrysler mini van and a couple Ford vans
Now we have
1997 GMC JIMMY w/135,000 miles
1997 GMC JIMMY w/114,000 miles
1997 Pontiac Firebird w/136,000 miles
1995 Pontiac Grand Am w/152,000 miles
1992 Olds Cutlass Supreme w/93,000 miles
When we get our new Solstice we will be happy to part company with our
1998 Mustang w/99,000 (Our Son had to have one)
Yes, we favor GM products and we drive the wheels off them
I wonder who will be the first to get 100k miles on their SOL?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I love everthing about my 2003 Suburban LT ... except the almost $100 fill ups! :( :willy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh Yes

The First Gm For Me Is My 2001 Zr2 Blazer. This Truck Took Me Two Years To Find And Would Never Go Back. I Like Some Others Here Are On Deployment, For Me Sence January07, I Hope To Order My Sol In Oct Then Finly Home For December I Hope! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've owned 5 GM cars, 2 Chryslers, and 3 Fords. Currently own 2 Subarus (one built in the USA), 1 Nissan (built in the USA) and have a Mazda on order. I buy the car that best meets my requirements at the time. In the case of a tie, I'd choose the one produced by an American company.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
ojohnson said:
Fformula88 said:
Whoops! :jester: Bit of a slip there F? Keep on your toes buddy! ;)

Fformula88 said:
It might be worth giving GM a second shot.
For me, I'm giving them a first shot... one they most likely would have never gotten were it not for the Solstice. I like a good few others getting this car, was not in the market for a roadster. Personally I just needed a newer car and my only 2 requirements were 5 speed and RWD. Owning a '91 240sx, I was just looking to get a newer one; something like a '96 240. I happened upon a Solstice commercial and saw how affordable (and totally sweet looking) it was, did some research and that brings me to the present. The first day I was looking at the specs and pics and stuff I was like "This car is pretty cool, I think I might like to get it." Second day; "I'm really liking this thing, I think I definitely want it." By the time the third day after discovering it came around "That's it, I have to have THIS car... no if's, and's, or but's about it!"

My first car was an '88 Jeep Cherokee, not my choice though. I got it practically for free from my uncle, so it was transportation. Next car was a '94 Civic, this is when I got into the 'tuner' thing. I had this car for the longest time and I put a body kit and exhaust on it, but it was a POS. Next I got a '93 240 which I had for a month, and now my '91.

I was set for a long history of buying Japanese cars and had no interest whatsoever in American trash. I was pretty much fully anti-American and look what this beautiful car has done for me! Now I'm thinking of further down the road that it might be nice to have a Grand Prix once I become a family man, and also maybe a bigger SUV or truck for trips. I'm now quite leaning towards a GM bias, isn't that really amazing considering less than 6 months ago I was anti-American?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
1985 Pontiac Fiero (was sorry I sold this in 1991 - great car for commuting)
1991 GMC Suburban (2500)
1998 Chevy S10 (probably my worst buy ever)
2001 Chevy Silverado Z71 package (traded in S10)
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 (was time to replace the old suburban)

1996 Ford Bronco 2

And my only real complaint - you pay $40K for a vehicle (the 2003 suburban) and the dealer doesn't even offer a loaner vehicle when you take the Chevy in for servicing.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
iainhp said:
And my only real complaint - you pay $40K for a vehicle (the 2003 suburban) and the dealer doesn't even offer a loaner vehicle when you take the Chevy in for servicing.
The Burb drops in value quickly too. I bought my 03 Burb LT (loaded) when it was 9 months old and paid only $27K. It is 2 years old now and trade in is less than $20K. I love it, so I will keep it ... but I hate it at fill up time. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife and I have had two GM products. A 1995 Camaro Z28 6-speed and a 2001 Camaro SS 6-speed. Both were great cars. On the other hand the worst car I've ever had to drive was a 1978 Mercury Capri :( This was a hand-me-down beater from my father when I was in school. I once lost a drag race with a U-Haul delivery truck with this car. The worst thing was that this was the big, slow heavy duty truck with the exposed driveshaft. :lol:

Other vehicles owned include Toyotas, Mazdas, vintage Fords, and the occasional Lotus. :)

John

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
I owned 22 GM cars and one was a Vega does the Vega count.
It better!

I owned two (2) Vegas and the GT was a pretty good car after GM fixed the block for me.

However the Pontiac Phoenix 4 Dr. was not their best effort.

Steve

:willy:

·
Registered
316 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
The Burb drops in value quickly too. I bought my 03 Burb LT (loaded) when it was 9 months old and paid only $27K. It is 2 years old now and trade in is less than $20K. I love it, so I will keep it ... but I hate it at fill up time. ;)

My wife always wanted a Burb (funny I never heard them referred to by that name except after I bought one). Bought her an 01 LT with everything but 4WD and she and I both love it. It is a bit much to fill up, but it is the best insurance against other bad drivers for her and the kids if they get hit by someone. I dont care about the nay-sayers, they can put their kids in small econoboxs and hope for the best if they want to. But there is no substitute for a full frame truck chassis for protection.

Ive owned a 72 Cutlass, 1991 Bonneville SSE, 01 Bonneville SSEi, and now an 05 Bonne GXP. I have had no major problems beyond expected wear except the 91 Bonne chewed through alternators regularly.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
57 chevy 2-door coupe, belair, (in 1975)
67 olds delta 88. (nickname - the great white)
74 Monte Carlo. (loved that car)
81 chevette. (p.o.incredible s.)
92 buick regal 4door. (130K, never in shop)
03 Aztek. (still lovin it)

The only GM dud was the chevette, and I had 2 chrysler duds, an 86 dodge caravan, and a 96 sebring convertible. I loved the design of the Sebring, but it was forever breaking down.

·
Registered
462 Posts
1978 Pontiac Grand Prix
1983 Buick Regal
1984 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix
1998 Chevy Blazer
1998 Firebird Formula (WS6)
1996 Chevy Astro
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Currently Own:
1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4

Only one that gave me any problems was the Blazer... But I pulled a camper a lot (and I drove it like I stoled it)!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I currently own a 1999 Silverado Z71, a 2002 Olds Arura and a 1994 Chevy Corsica, all run great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts