Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102109

This article is primaily about GM delaying the introduction of the next generation Cadillac SRX which itself seems to be a stupid move to me. Cadillac has a winner in the SRX, so they have axed a possible SRX-V, and delayed the next version. GM, you should be running with the hot vehicles, not letting them linger until nobody wants them anymore.

However, I digress. I really posted about this: burried in the writeup it started to reveal some other budget cuts GM is making, including this paragraph:

Lutz said that the number of concept and show vehicles will be reduced, and that projects will be delayed at GM's Specialty Vehicle Activity and High Performance Vehicle operations

The high-performance operation helped create GM's supercharged engines as well as develop Cadillac's V-Series vehicles and Saturn's Red Line performance versions.
Now, I would assume this is GM's section that will be involved in producing a supercharged or turbocharged Solstice GTP and/or Sky Redline. The Chevy SS cars, Cobalt SS and Ion Redline, Caddy CTS-V, STS-V, and XLR-V all seem to be a go. So I doubt they would be affected. However, with the Sol/Sky high output version cars on the near horizon, could they end up affected by these budget cuts? Could we possibly be looking at a long delay before these cars reach market? They would appear to be the units next big project to me, and with the low expected sales volumes of these models I could easily see GM shelving them until they get their mainstream vehicles moving again.

I hope not, because I am really hoping to get one of the F/I versions. However, I do not think this is good news at all!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm not prepared to go jump off a cliff....yet.

IMHO, the powers that be at GM almost HAVE to build a Solstice GT/GXP whatever you want to call it. Why you ask? Because they have a mortal enemy in the next gen Mazdaspeed Miata, not the normal miata mind you, the F/I miata will trump the normally aspirated Solstice, thus GM has to do something, the car mags will have a field day if they ignore this battle.

Hopefully we'll get word on a F/I version this fall. I have heard rumor that something will be unveiled at SEMA 2005, but we will have to wait an see.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm betting GM's playing the wait and see game now. They're going to see how the Sky/Solstice do sales wise, and then if they sell above expectations maybe some money will go abck into it. I really think the only reason the first set of GM Accessories we're going to see exists is because they were developed along side the Solstice as was told to us in an interview a while back. So we'll get the exhaust, intake, suspension, and hopefully the hard top mentioned recently. But besides that I don't think we should expect to see anything else unless it's something we don't know about yet that was developed along side the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
GM is run by bean counters primarily. They are being told to make cuts by shareholders. Cutting back on the performance group is consistent with bean counter thinking. Remember they are not "car guys", and a performance program is considered a luxury you can have in the good times.

Now as to the hi-po Solstice and Sky, I think it all depends on how far along they are right now in developement. If they are close to having a production ready version say in the next 9 to 12 months, then I would say that it will be on track. If they still have 2 years of work ahead, then I would say it's going to be shelved just like just about all their other future products it seems. I would think that we would know by this winter if it's coming soon or not.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Considering the higher ouput Sol is probably mid-stream WIP at this point, it's small investment to finish it and reap the benefits of more sales and extending the Solstice name.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything is certainly possible, since we don't really know where they are in development. Based on the test mules that were caught out west, I suspect they are deep into the program. Hopefully that is enough to keep it on track without delay.

However, AD hit the nail on the head. The bean counters will be looking for any cuts they can make, big or small. If delaying an F/I kappa saves them even a little money, they may do it since kappa is a small volume platform and won't have big returns anyway.

Of course, I am just conjecturing that this could affect the Sky/Sol too, as neither are directly mentioned in the article.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts