Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a known drive cycle that clears all incomplete IM readiness tests in a GM OBD2 vehicle?

Been driving my Mallett on and off around town and freeway for a few days since I got it back from the dealer and still have an incomplete on the readiness test with my scanner?

They did change the battery since it was original and I am assuming that is what caused the incomplete although I didn't verify prior to dropping it off.

Any suggestions welcome as I have a referee inspection scheduled for 6/19 and this will certainly 'fail' the car.

Thanks to all in advance -

·
Registered
139 Posts
Which readiness code isn't set?
And yes, disconnecting electrical power (or clearing fault codes from the ECM) will reset the readiness codes.

The drive cycles are pretty generic and shared with similar vintage GM passenger cars. You should have some luck with a search of the internet.

The catalytic converter ones I did with a Tech2 plugged in and was able to nail them very quickly, as there's one that basically wants some stop & go driving, and I just pulled over immediately each time the tool showed the test was ready to run. It also made the steady state cruise ones easy because I was able to monitor completion in real time.
For EVAP, you may also be able to trigger the service bay self test with a tech2, but success there depends on the internal details of your ECM. Knockoff units from AliExpress work great for this, and can be found in the $150-$200 range.

If you can't trigger the EVAP cycle with a factory scan tool, the key is basically driving it every day very specifically. The tank can't be totally full, nor mostly empty, you have to have certain starting temps, etc, etc. Took me about a month to get that particular code set specifically. Referee, unlike a normal smog test, requires all the readiness monitors to be set to pass you.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
I'll make no guarantees, but this was on obdii.com:
General Motors Driving Cycle
A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation
© General Motors Corporation

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Problem with the drive cycles is that without a dyno it's pretty tough to do. Not easy to do something like this out on the open road.
Did an OBD2 emmisions test a while ago with my Solstice and had one system that wasn't ready. Passed anyway.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone...gonna drive it all week and if not ready by Thursday will bring it to dealer on Friday/Monday to run it in the dyno and/or activate readiness monitors as needed.

I need the referee inspection to go well on Tuesday and try to get this car legal here in Cali :)

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update for anyone who may be interested - I had the dealership plug into the OBD2 port and found that the evap test had not been completed...after I requested everything be verified and they had the car for a week since they claim to have put a battery saver on the car when changing the battery so as not to clear memory.

Dropped it off so they can be sure to perform test first thing in the morning after sitting overnight and confirm all readiness tests before my referee inspection next Tuesday.

We shall see...

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Received car from dealership today and all good with all readiness monitors indicating complete...I am now ready for my inspection with referee on Tuesday morning 🤞

1 - 8 of 8 Posts