Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using my GM family discount for mine. I should be getting my car, nearly fully loaded for about $...

nah, I'd just be making people jealous : ) let's just say it starts with a 1, NOT a 2.

~ G

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discount?

I was told by my dealership that the GM discount did NOT apply to the Solstice. My husband's sister works for GM, so we are eligible for the discount. Do you have it in writing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're Wrong...

...or Your Source Is Wrong! Until they're on the Used car side of the lot, you won't touch one under $20000 ("fully loaded" or even 1/2 loaded). Better Check Again!

·
Registered
182 Posts
snickellky said:
I was told by my dealership that the GM discount did NOT apply to the Solstice. My husband's sister works for GM, so we are eligible for the discount. Do you have it in writing?
I would get a new dealership if I were you.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Employee discount will be 'available" but keep in mind, it is up to the dealer to decide if they will sell it at the GM price. They do not have to sell it at that price if they do not want to. Chevy has a GM employee price on the 'Vette too, but good luck finding a dealer to let you have it at that price most of the time.

If they can sell it to someone else for MSRP, and they are getting a limited quantity, they will not be very anxious to sell for less.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already got it in writing

Walked out on 6, count em, 6 dealers until I found one that would do it for me. I personally don't care when I get the car so I have no problem waiting and walking out.

You are right, dealers have the OPTION of allowing you to use your discount (an evil power, though it may be). Luckily I found a dealer with a large allotment.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GHM73 said:
Walked out on 6, count em, 6 dealers until I found one that would do it for me. I personally don't care when I get the car so I have no problem waiting and walking out.

You are right, dealers have the OPTION of allowing you to use your discount (an evil power, though it may be). Luckily I found a dealer with a large allotment.
Glad you found one! In fact, if you can find one it probably is going to be a good dealer for you, since they are probably all dealers who put a high value on customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why wouldn't a dealership honor this. The money comes out of GM's overall pocket not the dealership. A cheaper car for you means you'll actually buy it and it doesn't hurt them at all. :leaving:

·
Registered
976 Posts
mrfantastic said:
Why wouldn't a dealership honor this. The money comes out of GM's overall pocket not the dealership. A cheaper car for you means you'll actually buy it and it doesn't hurt them at all. :leaving:
Actually when a dealer sells a car for GM employee price, they end up breaking even. No loss, but no profit either. GM still gets the same money, but the dealer is basically doing it for free. By free I mean small handling fee, but it doesnt add up to the 1800 or so you will make selling the car for sticker. Point is it's not much mark up to begin with, and a fully loaded car has a GM employee price over $20,000. To be precise....

MSRP of my First 1k car.... $23,580 missing XM, Smokers package, and disc changer

GM employee price of $21,324.70

For reference, our COST on this car is 22,169.90 and gm pays us back the difference. Anyone running a business is going to at least consider supply and demand, right?

·
5,641 Posts
mrfantastic said:
In the case of the Solstice, a dealership might not do it because they would be giving up all the money between the GM Employee Purchase Program (GMS) selling price plus handling allowance and what they could sell the car for. Approximately equal to the difference between selling the car for dealer invoice amount and MSRP.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: N/A

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get leather. ONLY because my wife didn't want it. Small sacrifice that saved me some money. My GMS price before taxes is just under 20k, well equipped. Monsoon, but no XM (I'm a Sirius subscriber), ltd slip, standard alloys, a/c, NO power pkg (who needs power windows in a sports car? - added weight? who needs it.) NO ABS (I know how to use my own brakes, thanks).

I wanted a "lo frills, meant for fun, spirited driving" sports car and that's what I'm getting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
SMALL DEALER......................CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GM EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT AND THE GM SUPPLIER DISCOUNT AT.......https:\\gmsupplierdiscounts.com.........SOLSTICE DOES NOT QUALIFY :(

·
5,641 Posts
tgadoury said:
CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GM EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT AND THE GM SUPPLIER DISCOUNT AT.......https:\\gmsupplierdiscounts.com.........SOLSTICE DOES NOT QUALIFY :(

When I went to the supplier site, had to link in from the GM.com site, I found a list that shows the Solstice is eligible for the GM Supplier Purchase Program.
Eligible Supplier Program Models Link

The GM Employee Purchase Program or GMS, as it is also known, allows qualifing GM employee, GM retirees, GM affiliated company employees and certain family members to buy GM cars and trucks at predetermined prices. These prices are listed on each vehicle's invoice. As you can expect there are a bunch of rules. GM dealerships are allowed to elect to participate or not. If they do participate the receive a handling allowance for the transaction.

The GM Supplier Purchase Program is basically the same but for selected companies that do business with GM. When it started it was just for upper management and lower level employees with direct GM contact. Now most everyone in an eligible company can participate. The price is 4.5% higher the GM employee price.

That should be the quick overview without the boring details. Is there something more specific you wanted to know?

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: N/A

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am sooooo glad I read this thread. Thanks for the info SmallDealer! I work for a GM supplier and I will qualify for the supplier pricing. When I ordered the car the dealer even showed me the supplier price and said that's what I'd pay "IF" the car qualified for supplier pricing. He said we'd have to see if it did when it comes in. Guess I'll pay a little less for my Sol than I expected. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Small Dealer said:
When I went to the supplier site, had to link in from the GM.com site, I found a list that shows the Solstice is eligible for the GM Supplier Purchase Program.
Eligible Supplier Program Models Link

????????......https:/gmsupplierdiscount.com for the NORTHEAST region excluded SOLSTICE?? Could this be an issue related to updated information on 2 different sites?? I hope so!!!!!!!

Eligible Participants Under the GM Supplier Discount Program Residing in the Northeast Region.(1)

For Cash Allowance or APR, take retail delivery by 9/30/2005. For Bonus Cash, take retail delivery by 9/30/2005.

(Unless otherwise noted below)
2006 Models

Last Updated 9/15/2005 APR(2) Plus Bonus
Cash Or Total Cash
Allowances**
36 mo 48 mo 60 mo 72 mo

Pontiac G6 1.9% 2.9% 3.9% 5.9% Or $1,000
Pontiac Grand Prix 1.9% 2.9% 3.9% 5.9% Or $1,000
Pontiac Montana SV6 3.9% 4.9% 5.9% - Or $1,000
Pontiac Solstice - - - - Or $0
Pontiac Torrent 3.9% 4.9% 5.9% - Or $0
Pontiac Vibe 2.9% 3.9% 4.9% 5.9% Or $0