Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put in my deposit and placed my order for my first 1k Solstice I was telling everyone what a great car it was and how GM was "turning Pontiac around." I was proud to have purchased an all American car and was instantly transformed into a true blue GM "raving fan."

More than six months and almost no real communication and still no car later I am now a GM public enemy. I can't believe that this company would be so clueless to build hype and then underdeliver. I can't believe that GM would blatently LIE (see proof below) in a blog meant to address customer concerns. Everyone who now teases me about "So where's thar car you're supposedly getting?" get's an earfull about how poorly GM treats customers and why NEVER to pre-order a GM car. I can't believe how badly GM blew it on this one. If I were a GM shareholder I'd be really ticked - what a wasted opportunity. And while plenty of people still think good things about Pontiac/GM there are plenty like me who have been turned from fans into vocal detractors of GM/Pontiac.

Many people have commented, "GM never lied, they said the first 1k would be first built (which they weren't - look at the production numbers. By the time my # 846 was built they had already built close to 3,000 Solstices) but not that they'd be the first 1,000 delivered." Actually, Lori Queen specifically addressed this issue a couple of months ago, and apparantly lied blatently...

Originally Posted by Lori Queen, GM Vehicle Line Executive - Small Cars
Let me start by translating for you what my title means: I run the team that is responsible for the Solstice program. I work for Bob Lutz . . . and the buck does indeed stop here!

The reason for my post is to answer a few questions, namely, are we listening? Of course we are . . . I know I am.

My team and I have seen the emails and posts from Solstice fans. We’re pleased there’s so much passion behind the launch of this new Pontiac – we share your enthusiasm. Let me respond to some of the concerns I’ve read:

First, we’ve said that production begins this summer –- and it will. We’re currently building pre-production models at our assembly plant in Wilmington, Delaware. The commitment is to deliver all “First 1,000” cars by the end of October. Our goal is for delivery to begin by late summer, perhaps sooner. However, when Pontiac announced its early order program on the Apprentice we did so to better gauge interest. We were blown away that the first 1,000 vehicles sold out in 41 minutes. We now have more than 8,000 orders. The roadster segment is very small –- about 100,000 units a year. This incredible interest means that once consumers have their cars, we’ll have gone from zero to nearly 10 percent of the roadster market in no time.

We know our new owners will want their vehicles to be dynamically sound, with superb road manners to match their good looks. Every GM vehicle launch is subject to many stringent quality tests – both at the plant and in the vehicle itself. Some of the rumors we’ve seen relate to these tests. The testing and slow “ramp-up” –- how quickly we go from building a handful of cars a day to full production -– ensures that we’re selling the highest quality vehicles. It’s no accident that last week J.D. Power reported that GM led the industry in manufacturing quality for the fourth straight year. Based on this track record, we believe that future Solstice owners want us to take this kind of care with their vehicles, too.

These extensive quality checks are why some have said they’ve noticed a few Solstices on the road. They weren’t seeing things –- we do have cars being driven by GM engineers across the country. We rigorously drive and test these early vehicles to confirm that they meet our quality expectations.

Will the first 1,000 cars really be the first 1,000? Absolutely. We said we would deliver the first 1,000 retail cars to these lucky few, and that’s the plan. These engineering vehicles will never make it to dealers. Some of these vehicles, after we've driven them hard, may be brought up to production standards and sold at auction, similar to other vehicle programs, but it would be well after the first 1,000 cars are delivered. This is the way vehicle programs work. We shake down the cars so our
customers don’t have to.

I know Pontiac marketing folks have plans to continue communicating with their new buyers throughout the summer and fall. And, if you’re one of the First 1,000, you’ve probably heard from them by now.

Keep your comments coming. The team likes to know what you’re thinking. Meanwhile, we’ll keep working to bring the best-looking and highest-quality roadster to market –- a car we’ll be proud to sell and our customers will be thrilled to own.
What a bunch of baloney.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dream2,

All I can say is, I understand your frustration & disappointed, but the biggest mistake you can make is to give up on the delivery. You are likely within a few days or weeks of getting the hottest car of the year. If you give up & don't take delivery, the dealer will indeed sell it to someone else & you will then be the real loser.

If you will just force yourself to be patient for a little more time, all of your original believe in GM & Pontiac will be restored. Once you get the car & drive it for a few minutes, everything about the long wait will disappear.

You will love this car - don't give up & let it slip away. Wait wait wait & then give us your review after you've had it for a few days.

USA

·
5,600 Posts
Can we just open a "vent" sticky for general whining?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jimbo said:
Can we just open a "vent" sticky for general whining?
:glol: :agree:

Hey, I just want to let everyone know that at least for me, and I would guess this goes for most of us regular ranters, we are not trying to subject all of you to our incessant complaining. Yes, it helps to vent and let off some steam, but more importantly I'm trying to get GM's attention and insure that they realize that they really messed up. Please forgive me bringing thousands of others into my rant session, it's the best way I know of to hopefully get GM's attention. I'm just hoping they're seeing all of the angry and genuinely disappointed customers so they'll learn from their mistake (and maybe just for fun some heads will roll ;-). So again, thank you for your understanding and sorry for subjecting y'all to such negativity. GM Sucks - You all (and the forum and the Solstice) rule.

·
5,641 Posts
solsticedream2 said:
When I put in my deposit and placed my order for my first 1k Solstice I was telling everyone what a great car it was and how GM was "turning Pontiac around." I was proud to have purchased an all American car and was instantly transformed into a true blue GM "raving fan."

More than six monthsand almost no real communication and still no car later I am now a GM public enemy. I can't believe that this company would be so clueless to build hype and then underdeliver. I can't believe that GM would blatently LIE (see proof below) in a blog meant to address customer concerns. Everyone who now teases me about "So where's thar car you're supposedly getting?" get's an earfull about how poorly GM treats customers and why NEVER to pre-order a GM car. I can't believe how badly GM blew it on this one. If I were a GM shareholder I'd be really ticked - what a wasted opportunity. And while plenty of people still think good things about Pontiac/GM there are plenty like me who have been turned from fans into vocal detractors of GM/Pontiac.

Many people have commented, "GM never lied, they said the first 1k would be first built (which they weren't - look at the production numbers. By the time my # 846 was built they had already built close to 3,000 Solstices[/COLRO]) but not that they'd be the first 1,000 delivered." Actually, Lori Queen specifically addressed this issue a couple of months ago, and apparantly lied blatently...

Will the first 1,000 cars really be the first 1,000? Absolutely. We said we would deliver the first 1,000 retail cars to these lucky few, and that’s the plan. These engineering vehicles will never make it to dealers. Some of these vehicles, after we've driven them hard, may be brought up to production standards and sold at auction, similar to other vehicle programs, but it would be well after the first 1,000 cars are delivered. This is the way vehicle programs work. We shake down the cars so our
customers don’t have to.

What a bunch of baloney.

Who is the one with the untruths. Notice I don't use the word "lie". In my dictonary, "lie" requires "the intent to deceive". I don't believe that you are intending to deceive us with all the incorrect infomation in your post. Not post rant.

It hasn't been 6 months since Pontiac introduced the Early Order Program.

Pontiac or Program Headquarters has called each of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstice buyers on several occassions. There has been a letter or eMail monthly to them. Several Gifts has been sent. They even made Program Headquarters available for your questions. Several of the GM Blog entries have also concered them.

They promised "fourth quarter delivery" on April 15th, openning day of the Early Order Program. When September's sales numbers come out on Monday, it would not surprise me to see that almost 50% of them are already delivered. Before the start of the fourth quarter. I don't think that is "underdelivery".

"Blatently LIE"?. Read the quote as I highlighted it. Not just the first three sentences of the paragraph that you selected. Do you have evidence that any of the 750 or so Solstices built before the start of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Sosltices have been sold to buyers? Didn't think so.

By the time "your?" car, #846, rolled of the line, it brought the total up to somewhere around 1,600. Far short of 3,000. And by the way, #846 was delivered by a dealership in North Carolina. #864 from one of your previous posts, is headed to a dealership in Florida. Haven't you posted that you are in Northern California?

Go ahead and rant. That is what this forum is there for. Seek out sympathy from others still waiting. But do it with facts and emotions. Not untruths and slander.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: Guess So Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: No
Answer Question: No
General Conversation: No

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Small Dealer said:
It hasn't been 6 months since Pontiac introduced the Early Order Program.

Pontiac or Program Headquarters has called each of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstice buyers on several occassions. There has been a letter or eMail monthly to them. Several Gifts has been sent. They even made Program Headquarters available for your questions. Several of the GM Blog entries have also concered them.

They promised "fourth quarter delivery" on April 15th, openning day of the Early Order Program. When September's sales numbers come out on Monday, it would not surprise me to see that almost 50% of them are already delivered. Before the start of the fourth quarter. I don't think that is "underdelivery".

"Blatently LIE"?. Read the quote as I highlighted it. Not just the first three sentences of the paragraph that you selected. Do you have evidence that any of the 750 or so Solstices built before the start of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Sosltices have been sold to buyers? Didn't think so.

By the time you car, #856, rolled of the line, it brought the total up to somewhere around 1,600. Far short of 3,000.

Go ahead and rant. That is what this forum is there for. Seek out sympathy from others still waiting. But do it with facts and emotions. Not untruths and slander.
SD, I don't know what other first 1kers are getting, or what GM is telling dealers, but I know for a fact that I have not gotten a communication of any sort every month. I have received two phone calls since I placed my order (one to confirm my order and one to let me know it was built) and I've received two letters (one with the hat and one with the pictures/lease offer) and that's it.

I've signed up three times on the Pontiac Solstice site for email updates and I've gotten one email in six months (I figured something was wrong and re-registered twice after my first registration because I wasn't getting the "regular email updates" they promised on their site).

Pontiac announced the EOP program and dealers started taking deposits well prior to April '05 (more than six months ago).

Per information from this forum people were posting that 3,000 had been built as of September 19th when mine was supposedly built.

Maybe dealerships and GM knew fully well on April 15th that these cars wouldn't be delivered until October but they never told me and I never heard even a rumor that it would take that long until after I had placed my order.

Lori was clearly not only referring to the pre-production solstices when she said the first 1,000 would be the first delivered.

If I don't have accurate information it's only because no one (my dealer, Pontiac, etc.) have given it to me. Defend Pontiac all you want, the fact remains there are a lot of people who are really ticked off because of this mess. I guess we're all just unreasonable? If I ran my business the way GM did I would fully expect to go out of business.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Whining? Au contraire. Too many folks here are apologists for a marketing, manufacturing and sales process that fudges the line of truth more often than a ward of felons at San Quentin. Most retailers could be sued for bait and switch if they operated as Pontiac has with the Solstice. Somehow, auto manufacturers and dealers are immune from this consumer law.

The most common remark from the apologists is "hey, it's a roadster for $20K, you can't ask for more." The only right we seem to have is to walk away...and one third of the preorders at my dealer have been cancelled. While that has moved me up in line, it's quite clear that my first allocation order ain't coming this year as originally indicated.

Hell yes, I'm waiting...but I'm also soured by the whole process starting with the Apprentice "masterstroke"---that ploy managed to screw virtually every one of us on active duty and out of the country when that program was aired.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Will the first 1,000 cars really be the first 1,000? Absolutely. We said we would deliver the first 1,000 retail cars to these lucky few, and that’s the plan."

What happened here? I don't have my car and others have reported on this forum that they have their after 1000 car. What bull! GM should have insured all first 1000 cars were delivered before shipping out the others.

You can call GM all you want, can call any number including Marketing and you get the same line of crap. Those cars are approximately $25,000 with full options and GM doesn't know where these cars are? You can have a $5.00 box of cheese delivered and know exactly day by day where the cheese is in transit. :willy:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually, I think that perception is the biggest problem. GM is probably on pretty close to being on track on it's production schedule. Most of the solstices were supposed to be shipped out and delivered by the end of August. But then there was the mini-recall. I know that quite a few of the cars were enroute and had to be called back to the factory. GM got worried about other problems cropping up, so to ensure they got the problems fixed, they held on to all the Solstices they had for a few weeks. They then shipped them all out in Mid to late September. Most of them got delivered, but quite a few are stuck in transit for one reason or another, to include the two hurricanes. My dealer finally got a tracking number for Union Pacific. I know that mine is currently stuck on a train near Great Plains, Nebraska. The railcar has a broken axle (at least I HOPE its the railcar and not the actual car itself). GM knows where ALL the cars are. It's up to your dealer to call up GM and get the tracking number, whether it's on the railroad or the back of some truck. Also if your in the hurricane area, UP just recently opened the rail lines back up to the affected areas.

Now back to the perception problems. Because we know are cars by VIN #, we feel a greater attactment and desire for these cars, vs. just ordering a normal car and waiting. I've never actually ordered a car straight from factory, but I don't think that they give you VIN# straight off the bat, and I don't think that most people are so enthused about their car to want to know where it is at any possible moment.

Call up your dealer and see if they can get a tracking number on the car. From other posts, all the F1K, ZZ, FM should have already left the factory. Some one did a drive by and had pictures of the lot in mid September (with all those sols sitting there, looked like a Solstice lovers paradise) to a recent one in late september. The late september pics had only two sol's in the entire lot and they were being driven around and tested.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Although it SUCKS knowing that regular production cars have been delivered, while our F1k's are still enroute, it would be STUPID to hold a 1000 cars just so a few dozen/hundred wait to be delivered. Delivery times to the west coast can take up to a month or more. You expect GM to hold 2000 (another 1000+ would have been produced during that time.) cars just for a couple customers? Yeh right. Besides, a high percentage of folks will have forgotten the delay deliveries as soon as they hop in the car and drive it off the lot.

BTW mine was built in early August, with an original delivery date of 26 AUG.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The problem with the Solstice is they are not giving out tracking numbers, just like they are not giving out TPW's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts