Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a HUD on my Grand Prix and it really is an amaizing feature, probably one of my favorites. I hope GM makes this an option for the Solstice, maybe take the one from the corvette. Its great to be able to watch the road and know your speed/radio station/CD track/low fuel....

Does anyone else have one on their car? How do you like it?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
JohnnyBoy said:
I Have a HUD on my Grand Prix and it really is an amaizing feature, probably one of my favorites. I hope GM makes this an option for the Solstice, maybe take the one from the corvette. Its great to be able to watch the road and know your speed/radio station/CD track/low fuel....

Does anyone else have one on their car? How do you like it?
Had a GTP with one. My current car doesn't have one, and it is sorely missed. It's an option I'd gladly pay a few hundred bucks for! In a heartbeat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It would be nice. If it was an option and i was buying one I would have to have it. The only negative is all these gadgets drive up the price. Which sort of defeats the purpose of a back-to-basics roadster.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have never had one, or driven a car that had one, so I won't be missing it. If it were an option on the Solstice I would have to try it and see if it's worth the extra cash, but I really doubt it will be on the options list. They have repeatedly called this a "back to the basics" roadster and that does not seem like a very basic item. It does sound kinda cool though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm probably in the minority but I found it distracting. I had the knob turned so it would not be visible.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You can have a back to basic roadster that still has options. And options don't drive the price up unless you choose them. Personally a HUD to me helps greatly improve the image of a roadster. It gives you your info in the line of sight. To me not having to take my eyes off the road to see my guages greatly adds to the concept that is driving a roadster. Like only offering a manual transmission, and Limited Slip Differential.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You should have made this a poll JohnnyBoy. Seems like a lot of people are posting polls as questions lately. Maybe there needs to be a poll how-to or something.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We have been hoping for more instrumentation.

Maybe a HUD would be a way of getting that without having to have dash real estate taken up with physical gauges?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well the problem with a HUD like any other instrument panel is you can only have so much info shown at one time. So yeah you could display items there that aren't on your guage panel, but then you can't see the important things like tachometer and speedometer unless you're constantly changing the HUD's settings.

·
Registered
161 Posts
brentil said:
Well the problem with a HUD like any other instrument panel is you can only have so much info shown at one time. So yeah you could display items there that aren't on your guage panel, but then you can't see the important things like tachometer and speedometer unless you're constantly changing the HUD's settings.
Thanks, brentil.
I haven't seen a HUD for real so was talking through my hat, again. (SOP for me.) :rolleyes
My thought was that it would be a virtual dashboard that wouldn't mimic the real one but could be whatever they wanted it to be. It makes sense that there would be limits.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
For those who have never seen a HUD before here's an image of the Corvette Z06 HUD that it comes standard with.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
brentil said:
For those who have never seen a HUD before here's an image of the Corvette Z06 HUD that it comes standard with.
Thanks for the heads up on the HUD. I like the idea, but I will wait to see the finished product and test drive it before I give my vote on it. I really can't see it being an expensive add on. But it might be a distraction at first till I get use to it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
brentil said:
Ah ha! They say a picture is a worth a thousand words. :thumbs

Thanks, brentil.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It really depends on the HUD setup. Some huds have a film that goes on teh window where it's projected which makes it near impossible to see clearly from the other side. But realisticaly it doesn't matter. These aren't very big characters, and they're inverted to anyone from the outside. Plus at night they would have to be able to see past your headlights and the glare from other light on your windshield to see it.

I've never heard a Corvette owner complain about theirs before either. It's standard on the Z06 and comes with one of the option packages on all the other models.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Chip said:
How easy is it to read the speed via the HUD (at night) from outside the car?

You've pretty much gotta be directly behind the driver to see the image, or above the HUD kind of flying over the car to see it (not likely, and the image would be small and inverted as Brentil noted). Not even passangers inside the car can see it. At least, that's the way it was in the GTP. The image reflects off of two mirrors inside the HUD unit, and then off the windshield itsself. It works that way on purpose to give the HUD image a pretty narrow field of view. I actually modified mine to integrate the remote display unit from my V1 radar detector into it. It worked fairly well, but washed out in the daylight so I had to put a toggle switch in the circuit so I could put the display in the HUD or on the unit itsself. Also, I could only reflect the display off of one mirror and onto the windshield. As a result, you could see the image reflecting off the windshield from a wider field of view.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
wow it seems that a lot of people like the idea of a HUD. Is there any way i can add a poll to the thread? I'm still new here and did not know how to add a poll.
Edit: nevermind i just figured out that you can only add a poll when you create a thread.

I really think it is a great feature. My favorite is when i drive long distance at night i turn down the instrument panel lights, b/c too much red glow gets to your eyes, and then i just watch the road and the HUD display.

I would pay a couple hundred dollars for a unit as an option. I really do want this roadster to be basic, i dont like all the buttons and features on these new cars. Even my digital climate control is annoying at some times.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The HUD would be nice, as would a lot of other options that probably won't be available. I would definately consider it!

The best reason I can see for GM to not offer HUD, or other extra options is to prevent dealers from stocking their lots with only high option cars that carry higher prices. GM wants these things to sell cheap and in large numbers. GM has run into problems in the past with dealers ordering a lot of loaded cars, which inflates their price to the point where sales suffer. Dealers looking to turn a big profit on a low volume vehicle would likely order more expensive options to boost their bottom line, and thus defeat the purpose of GM offering the car without a lot of standard equipment to keep the bottom line down.

Still, HUD would be nice and it would not have to cost a lot to get. There is certainly a performance advantage with it since the driver doesn't have to divert his eyes to the guages to check speed, RPM, etc. I'd rather see HUD, even if it costs a convenience feature/option.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The thing is though, a lot of options can also be 'Dealer Installed' options. Then the dealer stocks the options and can either install them on cars they want them on, or they can install them at the purchasers request. Most car companies offer this type of post purchase upgrade. You can already do it with GM cars by purchasing items from the GM Performance Parts store and having your dealer install them. Like the body kits for the Sunfire, Cavalier, or other car, and the Supercharger option they make for the Sunfire, Cavalier, and Vibe.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Currently there are two Pontiacs with HUDs in them already.

The Grand Prix (GT2 & GTP) (INFOTECH PACKAGE, HUD + Trip Computer $600)...
"Head-Up Display (HUD), capable of projecting 18 different functions onto the windshield (includes radio station information, speed, compass, outside air temperature, PRNDL, "Stealth" mode, intermediate gear positions (GTP/WS6) and performance upshift light (GTP/WS6))"

and the Bonneville GXP (stand alone option, $325)...
"Head-Up Display, EyeCue, includes digital readout for speedometer and indicators for turn signals, hi-beam and check gauges"

Now that's what I really want "performance upshift light."

I did some more research and came up with a fairly interesting article. Interesting for two reasons, (1) it gives some good info on HUD technology and (2) it refers to GM a lot.
[EETimes.com]

There's one sentence though that makes this article stand out to me...
"GM said it expects to put the technology in two new vehicle platforms by the 2006 model year."

Besides the Kappa, does anyone know all of the other 'vehicle platforms' that will appear as 2006 MY cars?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts