Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I hope Gm is successful in regaining the lost ground of the 70's and 80's. I also hope they realise, the bean counters are not necessarily the best persons for design, quality and the options customers demand. It is nice to want 15% return on net assets all the time, but you have to deliver the goods and quality people demand. Then the profits will come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quality and Profit

I could not have said it better myself. Build quality and the volume and profit will come with it. My Bonneville SSEi is my third Pontiac and I can't wait for the Solstice. But regardless of the price, I do demand good quality.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum FrankClaas!!

GM is proving that they can do things right! They have a number of products that are very competitive in their class, and have managed to improve overall quality along the way. I still see a lot of people bashing them, and declaring that Lutz is a failure with GM. They just do not realize that Rome cannot be built in a day. GM is improving their products and brand lines one at a time. They are putting a lot of effort in one place, and started with Cadillac, and are moving down the line. First Caddy, then Chevy and Pontiac, and then they will move on to Saturn and Buick. Its a good approach, and lets them focus in one area instead of just using a scatter-shot approach.

GM doesn't even need to regain a ton of their former market share. In fact, chasing all that lost share might be more hurtful then helpful, at least in large amounts. There are a lot more nameplates than there used to be, and just about everyone is building quality products. Their goal should be to keep the share that they have now, and make it more profitable. If they can hang around 25% of the market, and cut out the huge rebates over time that they are using to sell cars, they will become a lot more profitable and be able to roll that money into increasingly better and more refined cars. When they reach that point, they can then concentrate more on trying to grow their market share.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
:agree Well Stated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts