Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following paragraph is on the GMInside site under www.gminside.com/futureguide1.htm

Solstice- The Solstice is set to arrive in late 2005, as a 2006 model. Starting in 2007 Pontiac will offer a GT version of roadster. The GT will have a turbocharged version of the 2.0L Ecotec engine, and a revised front fascia.

How about that? :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Reading over some of the others, a lot of these seem like speculations and estimated guesses. Some are based off of released info though. I'm just curious why the Turbocharged 2.0L. Are they expecting the SAAB engine to be used, or a whole new revision of the 2.0L designed specificly for Turbochariging? It kinda disapoints me if GM does go with the non-VVT engine for whatever forced induction Solstice version there is.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There is probably some educated guessing in that thread. There has consistently been some people who have almost insisted that GM will use a turbo ecotec for the Solstice in the future and not a supercharged one. However, I’d imagine it could still go either way at this point until a final decision is made. Its GM and it probably will come down to cost.

From what I have gathered, a turbo in the Solstice will not simply be the Saab turbo, but a re-worked turbo ecotec. Now that is certainly not concrete info and I am making some inferences from the different information I have seen. Also note that GM already used turbo ecotec motors in Opels and Vauxhauls in Europe so their experience stretches beyond Saab applications.

GMI's page is also predicting a mid size Kappa based sedan sporting a V6. This sounds closer to an American version of the recent Holden mid size RWD concept. However to call it a kappa based car is a little off since the structure really is different and all new. We know Kappa as is won't accept a V6 and there appears to be no production development done on a long wheelbase version of Kappa. So they are definately speculating here!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the correction, brentil. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Also mentioned:
Camaro/Chevelle- Chevy has an all new sporty coupe set to debut in 2007 on the Zeta platform. This car is very similar to the 2007 GTO, with the exception of tighter styling. At this point the assumption is that this car will be the all new Camaro. There is however an outside rumor that this car may be hastily redesigned and given a more appropriate name such as Chevelle. Then GM would design a Camaro on an all new midsized RWD platform loosely based on a lengthened Kappa platform. This platform (rumored to be called "Beta") was first previewed in the Holden Torana TT36 concept shown at the 04 Sydney International Auto Show. This would slightly delay a Camaro to possibly 2008. Either way, we will keep you updated!
Consider it "rumers from an informed source".

·
Registered
141 Posts
This could be very interesting! Does anyone know anything about the size of this car? I always wished Camaros (Camaroes?) were a little smaller. I assume that a convertible will be offered.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I believe that is just a photoshop image someone not related to GM came up with. It was floating around over at gminsidenews.com for a while.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This platform (rumored to be called "Beta") was first previewed in the Holden Torana TT36 concept shown at the 04 Sydney International Auto Show.
Note: the Holden Torana TT36 had a twin turbo 3.6L Alloytec V6. Can't really see GM bringing back a Camaro without a V8. It'd be a squeeze, but not insurmountable, to get a small Northstar, under the hood. But, if you've ever worked on one, you'd know Camaros have a history of being assembled around the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
My early model '67 SS Camaro had a bunch of room under the hood. Did not have Power Steering, A/C, or Power brakes.

Later, when Chevy dropped in the big block, it was a cramped engine bay.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe this has been mentioned in another thread and, if so, I apologize for missing it. Buried within the editor's column in the lastest issue of Motor Trend is a comment that GM is planning to completely revamp the Saturn line, including a roadster based on the same platform as the Solstice. So much for Pontiac's exclusivity with the Solstice. Can a Chevy model be far behind?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My early model '67 SS Camaro had a bunch of room under the hood. Did not have Power Steering, A/C, or Power brakes.
Oh yes, those were the days! To pull the engine in a post '93 Camaro, you've got to pull everything in front and sides of the engine and then extract it out the front. You can leave the fenders and hood but everything else has to come off, including a lot of the front suspension. Just replacing the spark plug wires is an all day job.

When it runs good, it's very good. But when it runs bad, it's very, very bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts