Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Pontiac Dealer in Gastonia NC today with all intentions of putting a deposit down on the Solstice.

I could not believe my ears.........at the AutoSale Mall, the so call Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer, the first two salesmen had not even heard of the Solstice, and the third said no information has been released.

Three strikes, and I'm outa there.

Mr. Lutz, get rid of these clowns before they bring your company even further down the tube. I could be a better salesman than these idiots, and I'm just an engineer.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Clued-in dealers can be found

TravelinRaider said:
Went to the Pontiac Dealer in Gastonia NC today with all intentions of putting a deposit down on the Solstice.

I could not believe my ears.........at the AutoSale Mall, the so call Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer, the first two salesmen had not even heard of the Solstice, and the third said no information has been released.
Generally, you will find that if the salesman seems not to know about the Solstice, it's because the dealership (specifically, the Fleet Manager and General Manager) are also not aware. :(

As an example, back in early March, I called 12 local dealers, and only found 3 that knew about the Solstice. From that list, I spent a bit of time talking with them and selected one who knew about the program.

Those three dealers were quite up front about not knowing a great deal, but they did know something. The salesmen that I talked to were willing to give me the names of their Fleet Managers, and two of them suggested that I contact those Fleet Managers for more information--quite refreshing really compared to the arrogant, close to the vest, keep it to yourself attitude of ALL of the other salesmen at the other 9 dealerships.

Actually, back in early March, I contacted the Pontiac Marketing Division using the phone number they sent to me in a post show follow up. (The staff person at the LA Auto Show got my name spelled right, but didn't get that I was interested in the Solstice, so they were sending me stuff on the G6 and Vibe... Oh well....) The point is that I asked the marketing folks about the early order program, specifically asking them two questions:
  1. Which dealers have signed up for the program?
  2. What is the official name of the program so that I can tell a particular dealer about it and get them to sign-up?
The answer that came back was:
  • Yes, there is an early order program.
  • No, I can't tell you what the name is.
  • No, I can't tell you which dealers have signed up.
After some discussion with the marketing representative, she asked me if I would like her to contact a dealer for me to explain the program to them and get them connected with the correct part of Pontiac to sign-up for the program. I said sure, there's two of the three that I would like to find out if they had or would sign-up.

The next day, she called back, and let me know that one dealer had signed up 2 days prior, and the second dealer was probably not going to sign-up. There, I had it. :cool:

I was quite pleased, because not only was that the closer dealer, but more importantly, it was also one of two dealerships that I had had the experience of the front line salesman admitting that he didn't know and suggesting that I contact the Fleet Manager. I visited the dealership immediately after receiving the news from the Pontiac Marketing person (drove straight there). The Fleet Manager had just left for the day, but I talked to the Finance Manager, and found out that they typically sold at MSRP, even for the G6 and GTO--that was promising!

Got in touch with the Fleet manager by phone, and had a good conversation with him. I arranged to drop by the dealer ship on Saturday. While there, he actually showed me some information he had about the program (an email with the basic rules).

Later, when I went in to put down my deposit last week, he showed me the sheet he had been faxed his login code for the Early Order Program--it was real; he knew!

As I posted in another thread: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27173#post27173

Anyway, I had with me the following form... To quote my self:
Crimson Avenger said:
The brief agreement looked like this:
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for $500 in deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -dealer-name- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased through either the Early Order (First 1000) program or a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation.

Signed:

I really didn't want to pay more than MSRP even if I didn't get a chance at one of the 1st 1000, hence the agreement.

Again, the standard disclaimer applies: "I am NOT a lawyer." ;) It's just a suggestion for how you can get something preventing markup gouging in writing.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
TravelinRaider said:
Mr. Lutz, get rid of these clowns ...
I'm sorry... Mr. Lutz is no longer here, I will foreword your call to Mr Wagoner. ;) (the clowns are here to entertain you while your on hold)

·
Registered
670 Posts
dealers in program

We were told that the apprentice website will contain a list of eop dealers when it is activated. We will see. :cool:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
LBJay said:
I'm sorry... Mr. Lutz is no longer here, I will foreword your call to Mr Wagoner. ;) (the clowns are here to entertain you while your on hold)
:D :glol: :jester:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
LBJay said:
Please hold for the international operator. (long pause) Is this the party to whom I am speaking? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
LBJay said:
<Muzak version of "Tijuana Taxi" plays>

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
"Please don't confuse what we do here with entertainment." David Letterman

·
Registered
121 Posts
TravelinRaider said:

Three strikes, and I'm outa there.

Mr. Lutz, get rid of these clowns before they bring your company even further down the tube. I could be a better salesman than these idiots, and I'm just an engineer.
Travelin - Stop by the Southern Pines/Pinehurst dealership. I hd very good luck with them. I was the first to put a deposit down and they were very imformed with the EOP. You can reach them at 910-692-2002 (I spoke with Bobby) and here on the web: http://www.tobywells.com/index.html

Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
TravelinRaider said:

That reminds me of my last car buying experience.

I had been reading every magazine article, participating on all the Z internet forums, and talking to Z enthusiast for 9 months before I actually went into the dealership to buy the car. My salesman was a complete idiot in regard to the Z. As we check out the car, I had to show him all the features, quote stats & specs to him, and just explained the car in general. He was thanking me at the end of the sale for all the information I gave him!

I imagine most people here will have the same experience when you buy the Solstice. Just be ready, you all will know more than 98% of the sales people you will be dealing with.

Please be kind, they are just salespeople :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same ol' song in Indy & Chicago

Unbelieveable as it seems I had the same experience in both suburban Indianapolis & Chicago in the past couple of weeks. Sales people either knew nothing or said "we won't have anything on the Solstice until the fall" .

Dahhhhhhhh ............

·
Registered
80 Posts
Westbadenboy said:
Unbelieveable as it seems I had the same experience in both suburban Indianapolis & Chicago in the past couple of weeks. Sales people either knew nothing or said "we won't have anything on the Solstice until the fall" .

Dahhhhhhhh ............
Ditto Jacksonville. A little better in St. Augustine & points South.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I contacted Pontiac via the web sit www.pontiac.com and used the "contact us" part of the web site. I don't remember the question but their reply was "If I want additional information about the Solstice I should go to www.chevrolet .com . I give up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I contacted Pontiac via the web sit www.pontiac.com and used the "contact us" part of the web site. I don't remember the question but their reply was "If I want additional information about the Solstice I should go to www.chevrolet .com . I give up.
Please tell me that was a joke? :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
conejo148 said:
Screw the email...call this number.

800-762-2737. "I have comments abnout my dealer."
Spoke with my delear as well last night. He said the same thing. Not sure the number he gave me, but was an 800 and wanted to see the post directly...

·
Registered
535 Posts
MarkZ said:
I had been reading every magazine article, participating on all the Z internet forums, and talking to Z enthusiast for 9 months before I actually went into the dealership to buy the car. My salesman was a complete idiot in regard to the Z. As we check out the car, I had to show him all the features, quote stats & specs to him, and just explained the car in general. He was thanking me at the end of the sale for all the information I was gave him!
Exact same as every vehicle shopping experience I've had over the last 15 years. Makes baby Jesus cry! :willy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts