Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Um, ok. With the Zeta officially dead, Zeta-lights years off still, and the Monaro apparently now dead too, what's GM going to do for a GTO? They seemed happy with the current sales numbers and the upturn in sales as well too this year with the changes they made. Pontiac is going to be lacking in high powered cars if this is true.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
This didn't say they were killing the GTO but you have to wonder what it means for that car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Actually, it sounds like they are just stopping the Holden version. They only sold 11,000 in 15 years. I think the GTO sold that many in one year. Plus, they (unlike us) get that new Zeta platform for their cars. We don't. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
If you go to pontiac's website and click on "news and event" a drop down menu will appears. Then there will be a link for "firebird heritage".

http://www.pontiac.com/firebird/index.jsp

The way they portray the site, it almost looks like they plan on bringing it back. They got this big jet black Trans Am at the top of the page. you can click and see a 360 deg view. For being a dead model, I'm surprise they have website features like that. These aren't the things you see with old outdated models.

But this is just an observation. There is no hard evidence of any future plans for the Firebird.

Kind of a "Once and Future King" kind of implication there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
This didn't say they were killing the GTO but you have to wonder what it means for that car.
This is what made me think it would mean the end of the GTO too.
Holden's production plant in Adelaide is being restructured, building up to the arrival of the all-new VE model midway through next year.
If they're restructuring and killing the Monaro completely in the AUS region, it just dosn't make sense that they would keep building this car just to ship limited #'s to the USA. Unless this article is working it wrong, or has some facts mixed up.


stang said:
Grand Prix gets a V8.
GTO is dropped.
Pontiac creates a GTO version of Grand Prix.
All Hell breaks loose! :lol:
No not all hell, just the front wheels since it's a FWD car. They will break loose all over hell though. :D


stang said:
Actually, it sounds like they are just stopping the Holden version. They only sold 11,000 in 15 years. I think the GTO sold that many in one year. Plus, they (unlike us) get that new Zeta platfrom for their cars. We don't. :(
media.gm.com 13,569 GTO's for 2004, they've reported 6,907 for 2005 so far too. However the Zeta platform I don't believe was scheduled to arrive in cars till like 2008. They make it sound liek they're stopping production in order to make room for other cars. But if they only sold in 15 years what the USA consumes in 1 year, what are they really saving by stopping the selling of a couple hundred cars in the AUS area that they're still making for the USA? It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would only be stopping the production of AUS units.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I've heard GM has some serious Mustang jealousy, what with the new model being so popular. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new Firebird within the next 2 years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
Unless this article is working it wrong, or has some facts mixed up.
Won't be the first time an article got mixed up :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Liam1694u said:
If you go to pontiac's website and click on "news and event" a drop down menu will appears. Then there will be a link for "firebird heritage".

http://www.pontiac.com/firebird/index.jsp

The way they portray the site, it almost looks like they plan on bringing it back. They got this big jet black Trans Am at the top of the page. you can click and see a 360 deg view. For being a dead model, I'm surprise they have website features like that. These aren't the things you see with old outdated models.

But this is just an observation. There is no hard evidence of any future plans for the Firebird.

Kind of a "Once and Future King" kind of implication there.
Ok, before all the Firebird/Comaro rumors fly up again, the platform that could have possibly been the new platform for them was the Zeta. Zeta was officially axed this year for US production. Zeta is still supposedly alive in other world devisions, but there will be no USA cars. There was talk of a Zeta-light being developed in it's place since Zeta was going to be too expensive. However, the earliest anyhitng based off of that would supposedly ever exist wouldn't be till after 2008, at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
brentil said:
Ok, before all the Firebird/Comaro rumors fly up again, the platform that could have possibly been the new platform for them was the Zeta. Zeta was officially axed this year for US production. Zeta is still supposedly alive in other world devisions, but there will be no USA cars. There was talk of a Zeta-light being developed in it's place since Zeta was going to be too expensive. However, the earliest anyhitng based off of that would supposedly ever exist wouldn't be till after 2008, at least.

I know. I am just making an interesting observation about pontiacs site. Even though they axed the Firebird, they refuse to let the memory die.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Liam1694u said:
I know. I am just making an interesting observation about pontiacs site. Even though they axed the Firebird, they refuse to let the memory die.
Ahhh, ok. Yes, very true.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Liam1694u said:
I know. I am just making an interesting observation about pontiacs site. Even though they axed the Firebird, they refuse to let the memory die.
Remeber Nissan in the late nineties? They had a Z in every ad, but not at any dealer. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
danielwsc said:
I've heard GM has some serious Mustang jealousy, what with the new model being so popular. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new Firebird within the next 2 years.
Someone at my plant had talked to Rick Wagnor about this. Supposedly, GM already has a retro Camaro/Firebird designed, but they are trying to bring the cost down to compete with the Mustang.

My Pontiac dealer also told me that Pontiac was working on a retro GTO.

I don't really know how true this information is, but I thought it was interesting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
deacon said:
Someone at my plant had talked to Rick Wagnor about this. Supposedly, GM already has a retro Camaro/Firebird designed, but they are trying to bring the cost down to compete with the Mustang.

My Pontiac dealer also told me that Pontiac was working on a retro GTO.

I don't really know how true this information is, but I thought it was interesting.
Supposedly that was true from what I've read in various places online, and things dropped in media reports before Zeta got axed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
deacon said:
Someone at my plant had talked to Rick Wagnor about this. Supposedly, GM already has a retro Camaro/Firebird designed, but they are trying to bring the cost down to compete with the Mustang.

My Pontiac dealer also told me that Pontiac was working on a retro GTO.

I don't really know how true this information is, but I thought it was interesting.
I would love to hold my breath for those things to happen but I kinda like breathin'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The major problem with bringing back the Camaro/Firebird is that when it was canceled, GM promised the Union that if they were brought back it would be built in Canada.

From R&T

A new Camaro is a bit more problematic than just designing a new car and putting it into the market. One of the promises made by GM to the Canadian Auto Workers when it shuttered its Ste. Therese assembly plant that built the Camaro and Firebird was that if there would be a new one, it would be built in Canada.

Right now, the only cars built in Canada by GM are front-drive models at the Oshawa assembly plant outside of Toronto. Thus, finding a suitable rear-drive platform for a new Camaro and putting it into production at Oshawa is a daunting task, especially as plans for the new rear-drive Zeta platform have been put on hold while GM figures out a lower-cost alternative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
That black Trans Am looks hot!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
LBJay said:
The major problem with bringing back the Camaro/Firebird is that when it was canceled, GM promised the Union that if they were brought back it would be built in Canada.

From R&T
I love the irony in a Union deciding where a company should build a car. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
LBJay said:
The major problem with bringing back the Camaro/Firebird is that when it was canceled, GM promised the Union that if they were brought back it would be built in Canada.

From R&T
I believe I remember reading something about that here too. That particular Union contract is up at the end of 2007 if I remember correctly.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top