Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM is using a newly developed 2.7 l DI 4 cylinder that is turbocharged and puts out a stock 310 bhp/348 Tq - sound like an LNF with a tune?

Designed for use in the Silverado truck line, I wondered if it might be a suitable swap for a Kappa - it even looks like an Ecotec. I wasn't able to find a weight for it. Anyone know anything about it?

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
It appeared in a discussion on the Sky forum a couple of years ago, and I have read about it in some of the trade magazines..

Extremely high-tech, it has variable just-about-everything, including oil pump, water pump, valve timing, and valve lift.

It was designed as a truck engine, so peak power and torque are at low RPM.

In Cadillac trim it is rated 325 hp @ 5500 and 380 lb-ft @ 2000-4000.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Is it another one with the intake and exhaust swapped sides?

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was designed as a truck engine, so peak power and torque are at low RPM.
Yes - red line at 6100, but power curve could presumably be altered with tuning. Wouldn't want to go too high rpm with a long stroke engine. Wish I could find data on engine size and weight. All alloy, at least. Would possibly have to drop that stock compression ratio of 10:1 for higher boost pressures (i.e. over the stock 22 psi).

Complicated? Yes!
This engine also features GM's Intake Valve Lift Control which has 3 different intake cam profiles that are electromagnetically-actuated to provide the best fuel economy and performance at a wider range of operating conditions.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No weight for the engine, but working backward they say it is 80 lbs lighter than the 4.3 and that engine weighs about 375 sp the new one should weigh in around 300 lbs.

Thanks for the video, Rob. Interesting.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
hmmmm....I was wondering when GM was going to release a bigger brother to the 2.0L. They finally followed Ford, but Ford's is a bit smaller at 2.3L.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The L3B looks like a bit of a torque monster given the right tune. Stock towing capacity of 7000 lbs etc....

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
No weight for the engine, but working backward they say it is 80 lbs lighter than the 4.3 and that engine weighs about 375 sp the new one should weigh in around 300 lbs.
I think you mis-heard. The guy said 160lbs lighter than the 4.3.

Oh wait - the first guy said 160, the second guy said 80. Hmmm.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts