Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I wouldn't put that on my car!!! I'll go shopping when I get there!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
looks like something that goes into my range oven.....

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
264 Posts
So that is how they are going to handle the shark fin protruberence! Looks good for a soft duffle. Wonder if the Kappashield will still fit with the rack installed?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Good And The Bad

THE GOOD THING : IF YOU'RE EVER AT A TAIL GATE PARTY YOU CAN ALWAYS TAKE IT OFF AND USE IT FOR A BAR B Q GRILL, THE BAD: IS THAT ITS :cuss: :cuss: UGLY! I GUESS WITH A COOKING APPLIANCE ON THE CAR WE NOW GET RECLASSIFIED FROM SPORTS CAR TO RV. WHO DESIGNED THIS RACK WEBER GRILLS!:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I had assumed a standoff rack similar to MG's and Triumphs, of course one can always buy traditional English style at Moss Motors and drill 4 holes where we want. I do assume that piece is drilled and fastened - so Jetson looking I would not be surprise if it were glued on.

·
5,600 Posts
Bad rack. Poor capacity. I can't see carrying a tent, sleeping bag and duffels of spare clothing on that rack.

I'm going to need a rack that holds a about 4 medium size duffel bags, or one big suitcase. That aint gonna do it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Jimbo you are going to need a truck! :) Might as well get a power stroke while you are at it and a tow trailor for the SOL. Enclosed of course ;)

·
5,600 Posts
Critterman said:
Jimbo you are going to need a truck! :) Might as well get a power stroke while you are at it and a tow trailor for the SOL. Enclosed of course ;)
Put it this way. I can pack WAY more on the back of my Harley Davidson Road King than I could put on that rack.

The rear of a car should be able to hold as much as a dang motorcycle. I'm sure a few racks will be available that work just fine for me. That one is artsy, fartsy and way too small to be of any use.

And I own a Silverado, but it isn't any fun to travel in.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't see why you are all ragging on this luggage rack.

Many people don't want luggage racks, but sometimes you just need one. And I think if I HAD TO put a luggage rack on my Sol, this would definitely be the perfect one. It's not too big, it's low profile, and It forms right with the contours of the car. Or would you people rather have some big bulky thing stretched across the entire rear end.

If nothing else, you people should be able to agree that it is creative. I give mad props to GM for thinking up something unique that also fits with the car. Not like the GM windscreen:leaving:, which doesn't fit the Solstice at all. The Kappashield is nice because it goes with the car.

This luggage rack is the KappaShield of luggage racks, it fits.

WOuld I buy one, probably not because I don't want to put a luggage rack on a Sol. But if I had to, that would be the one I'd get.

If you need even more storage space than that, you shouldn't of bought a Roadster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Liam1694u said:
I don't see why you are all ragging on this luggage rack...................................................................................
If you need even more storage space than that, you shouldn't of bought a Roadster.

Same Here............gota love the thought put into this one

·
5,600 Posts
Liam1694u said:
NO! The roadster is for travel. Now my goal is to outfit the car with a suitable luggage rack that meets my storage needs when I travel. And this miniscule increase in storage won't meet my personal needs.

I'm glad it is perfect for you. :cheers:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think the new rack is an improvement over their first rack.

·
Registered
190 Posts
SayWhat said:
I think the new rack is an improvement over their first rack.

You Know that might just work!!!:glol: :glol: :glol:

But Seriously, I do like what they have designed...really!..... but, for now, I just don't see me installing one!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
OK lets take this apart.
1. It looks like it can be stored in the trunk until it's needed.
A. This means you're more likely to have it when you need it.
B. Since it's gonna spend most of it's time in the trunk, it looks like it doesn't weigh much.
C. When stored, it doesn't take up much room.
D. Might even be able to store it behind the seat.
E. Too bad it doesn't fold in the middle.

2. When in use, it's appearance doesn't matter (Ya cain't sees it 'cuz it's under all da luggage, Duh!!)

3. Because it's so uncomplicated, there's a good chance it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. (Some of us can't swing a $4,000 trailer)

4. It looks like the mounting points are as unobtrusive as you can get (if there are any at all)

5. I know I can strap a HUGE duffel bag (and maybe two) to it and not scratch my paint. (My guess is more than 7 cu ft- 1.5'x2'x2.5') So that about triples the cargo I can haul.

6. But you'll have to haul your motorcycle on a trailer. I wouldn't recommend strapping a Harley on the rear deck of a Solstice regardless of style of luggage rack.:)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts