Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are always interesting to look at.

Official GM [LINK].

Small exert

GM Reports September Sales of 458,799, Up 20 Percent

GM Sets All-Time Industry Sales Records for Trucks, SUVs and Full-Size Pickups
Chevrolet Posts Best Sales Since October 2001; GMC Since December 2002

DETROIT - General Motors dealers sold 458,799 new cars and trucks in September, up 20 percent compared to year-ago levels. GM's truck sales (287,129) were up 32.5 percent, and car sales (171,670) were up 3 percent. Third-quarter sales (1,324,685) were up 2 percent.

"GM's September results included all-time industry record sales of trucks, SUVs and full-size pickups," said John Smith, group vice president, GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "Chevrolet enjoyed its best month since October 2001, with strong sales of Aveo, Malibu, Equinox and Colorado. Other launch products - Cadillac SRX, GMC Canyon and Pontiac GTO - also had strong sales. New vehicles such as Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G6 and Buick LaCrosse should add to the sales excitement."

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Intresting numbers. Overall good news for GM. It shows people are either still wild about driving around in trucks or not many people want to drive GM cars.
Truck sales were way up for Sep. (I'm sure in part due to the Ford F150 looking kinda goofy this year.), but car sales were only up 3%, not all that great considering the new product launches. Overall the 2% increase in the 3rd quarter seems to mean the earlier part of the 3rd quarter was kinda disapointing, and freakish truck sales at the very end saved the day.

I think the most telling number was the one that said that Septmber was the best month for Chevy since October 2001. That implies that they actually had a better month of sales one month after the 9/11 tradgedy then now, three years later. Maybe that means that right after 9/11 lots of people had a hankering to out and get a Chevy or their sales have been pretty bad. It could also mean that 9/11 didn't really affect car sales that much. Maybe, I don't know, but it would seem that sales should be better when there's not an ongoing national drama. Now that I think about it, that kinda makes sense, buy a Chevy or Osama wins! It's our patriotic duty to be good consumers when ever the terrorist strike! :patriot

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its certainly good news for GM that sales are up. Especially for SUV's which seem to have been languishing a little lately. I am sure huge incentives are partly responsible for the big sales increase, but at least those incentives did work. The higher GTO sales are another good sign, since it will be difficult to move those LS1 GTO's once the LS2 GTO's show up on lots

I am surprised among the new vehicles adding to the excitement, that they do not include the Corvette. The new C6 will sell at sticker price without incentives for a long time, and GM's most recognizeable cars. Its not only Chevy's flagship, but probably GM's flagship, and there is a lot of excitement around it!

Hopefully this a sign that GM is turning things around!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts