1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The official GM [LINK].

FOR RELEASE: 2004-08-26

CONTACTS

GM To Invest $200 Million In Fairfax, Kan. Manufacturing Site For Production of Saturn Midsize Car

Fairfax, Kan. - General Motors today announced plans to invest $200 million into its Fairfax, Kan. manufacturing site for production of an all-new Saturn midsize car, which is currently scheduled to begin production in the second half of 2006 as a 2007 model.

GM will use the investment to expand its facilities and upgrade machinery, equipment and special tooling associated with production of the new product.

"GM's investment is more than just an announcement about GM's commitment to strengthen and re-energize the Saturn nameplate," said Joe Spielman, GM vice president and general manager of Vehicle Manufacturing. "This demonstrates GM's commitment to the UAW, our employees, Wyandotte County, Kansas City and the state of Kansas."

Specific product information on the new Saturn will be released at a later date.

The assembly plant currently builds the Chevy Malibu and Malibu Maxx and employs approximately 3,000 employees. UAW Local 31 represents the plant's hourly workforce.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, employs about 325,000 people globally. Founded in 1908, GM has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. GM today has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 192 countries. In 2003, GM sold nearly 8.6 million cars and trucks, about 15 percent of the global vehicle market. GM's global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM and its products can be found on the company's corporate website at www.gm.com.

CONTACT(S):
Dan Flores
GM Manufacturing Communications
248-753-2099
cell: 313-418-2374
Hmm I wonder if this refers to the new Saturn Kappa car. :D Unless Saturn has another midsize car coming out in 2006 as a 2007 that they keep saying info is coming about soon.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
There is some rumors of an "epsilon" saturn in the works. They do need SOMETHING to replace the now-defunct L-series.

The Malibu and G6 are off the "epsilon" platform. Could be that car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would assume it's an Epsilon replacement for the L-Series, since the Fairfax plant makes the Epsilon Malibu (and Maxx). I'd expect all of the Kappa vehicles to be made at Wilmington (at least at first).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Saturn is getting an Epsilon based midsizer car. Apparently they just now decided to announce it will be built with the Malibu in fairfax Kansas instead of being built with the G6 at Lake Orion. Thanks for the info! I had not heard that they had chosen a site yet.

The Saturn Kappa will be built in Wilmington, DE alongside the Solstice. I doubt that any Kappa's will be built anywhere else. They are trying to use a flexible assembly line that can build a number of niche vehicles all under one roof.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well damn, thought I might have been mixing up plants. Should have gone and read up a little more first. Well hopefully this epsiolon based car can help Saturn out some.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Saturn is getting an Epsilon based midsizer car. Apparently they just now decided to announce it will be built with the Malibu in fairfax Kansas instead of being built with the G6 at Lake Orion. Thanks for the info! I had not heard that they had chosen a site yet.

The Saturn Kappa will be built in Wilmington, DE alongside the Solstice. I doubt that any Kappa's will be built anywhere else. They are trying to use a flexible assembly line that can build a number of niche vehicles all under one roof.
Not to mention that Wilmington has the capacity to build more Kappas then they can probably ever sell. It doesn't make any sense to start building them anywhere else.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Not to mention that Wilmington has the capacity to build more Kappas then they can probably ever sell. It doesn't make any sense to start building them anywhere else.
Good point. Hopefully they will find a way to use up some of that extra capacity before too long. Too much plant capacity, and they cancel Kappa in the long run!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Here's the LD on upcoming saturn models and where they are scheduled to be built:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7468

GM Scatters Saturn Build
Now Kansas is in on the Saturn act, too.

A quick summary from the article:

Kappa: Wilmington DE

Epsilon: (assumed, "mid-sized sedan", L-series replacement): Fairfax MO, already building Malibu and Malibu Maxx

Saturn Delta and Theta: Springhill TN

Saturn Relay (architecture escapes me): Doraville GA

New Saturn "crossover": Delta TWP [Lansing] MI

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
Here's the LD on upcoming saturn models and where they are scheduled to be built:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7468
The desision to build other division's cars at Spring Hill further deminishes any image of Saturn being independent from GM's headquarters that buyers might have still had. Remember "Saturn, a different kind of car company"? Appearently they're not. Many potential Saturn buyers will be asking them selves "Why am I buying a Saturn again?".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts