Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently received a letter from GM Compliance & Certification, Milford Proving Ground, Milford MI. GM employees Automotive Testing and Development Services (ATDS) to help carry out an on-going GM program to measure emission performance of privately owned vehicles in MI.

In exchange for making my vehicle available at GM Milford Proving Ground I will receive a late model loan vehicle, delivered to my location, clean, with a full tank of gas, and no limit to the number of miles it is driven. Along with receiving a check for $500, the return of my vehicle, clean, and with a full tank of gas upon completion of testing.

The vehicle test involves simulated city and highway trips, on an indoor chassis dynamometer, while the exhaust gas is collected and analyzed for various pollutants regulated by the federal Clean Air Act. The vehicle will not by subjected to any unusual stress, as the speed and load characteristics of the test are typical of everyday driving. Around 80 miles, plus transit distance to and from the lab, will be accumulated on the vehicle. The length of time a vehicle is kept is between 5-10 business days but can vary due to test laboratory workload.

Test results sometimes indicate the vehicle repair is necessary. Accordinly, GM may remove and replace worn vehicle parts. Only new repair parts are used, and the work is no cost to participants

While $500 is tempting I haven't decided if I should take the offer, due to not being comfortable with strangers working on the car for that length of time. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Choptop : Go for it ! Your getting your car gone over by GM tech's, anything that needs fixing related to this emission testing will be done at no charge to you , 500 bucks ,and a loaner ( make sure you get a Vette or ZL1 Camaro) sounds like a sweet deal to me .If I was given this offer I would take them up on it and who knows maybe they will fix the key issue while they have your car.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I would do it. Asking for a Vette or a Camaro might be over doing a little but if you don't ask they probably won't offer one.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would do it, irrelevant what car they give me as long as its not a vette or camaro...:D
I'll take a caddie or a buick..

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I would SO do it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Go for it and ask that they perform a complete 160 point inspection as they would for a certified pre-owned vehicle. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
I have received two of these offers here in Denver area. I chose not to participate. I have too much money into my car to take the risk. But if I had a basically stock car, I too would have jumped at this opportunity.

I dont need a loaner.

Sky
Sol
F150
Kia Soul
Kia Optima

Shoe leather

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would do it (my car is completely stock), but I'd take a Volt as the loaner car. I've always wanted to roll around in one of those just to check it out. Hybrids are the future, and I like the Volt out of all of them. BTW: gas is $4.10 a gal for regular in my area of CA right now, and climbing. It's gone up almost 40 cents in less than 2 months. Yikes!!!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I would do it...If I get the same offer from them, I'll make sure they're okay with a "tuned" car and then let'em have at it!!! BTW rsrider, gas here in MI has gone up almost $1/gallon in 3 weeks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Send them my way,would do it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I was offered a similar deal with my 1969 Camaro 20 years ago in California but $200 instead of $500. I turned it down. The movie industry offered $$$ to use my Camaro in a movie and I turned that down as well. Now my Solstice coupe, I might bite...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was offered the same 'deal' about a year and a half ago by the same place. I sent in the paperwork to the company but unfortunately they decided to pass on my vehicle.

I would have been very happy to get the cash. I was also hoping that they would have found a few 'oops' things that they'd touch up like new.

I didn't care what type of loaner they'd give me for the months also.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
I would do it (my car is completely stock), but I'd take a Volt as the loaner car. I've always wanted to roll around in one of those just to check it out. Hybrids are the future, and I like the Volt out of all of them. BTW: gas is $4.10 a gal for regular in my area of CA right now, and climbing. It's gone up almost 40 cents in less than 2 months. Yikes!!!
3.54 this morning on the way to work.

I am getting 38 + MPG in the Punisher Kia Optima Hybrid

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rider, I was in downtown Los Angeles this afternoon. Gas was $5.13. $4.09 in my neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley, and that's for regular.

$5.44 in downtown LA and $4.19 in the valley for premium :brentil:

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I have never taken my car to the dealer except for warranty work - I simply don't trust them. Just take a look at all the cracked fenders and such caused by dealer mechanics who often try and weasel out of it. Sure not worth it for $500 in my book. The dealer is never going to see my car again after August when the driveline warranty expires.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Car has GMPP + Solo exhaust, so they could pass on it. The only reason I was considering it was the money could go toward insurance this season. I'll probably call and check tonight, along with finding out how insurance works if damaged in their possession.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts